Ideal tank height

FishWife

Hey, all

We moved !!!! It only took 2.5 months to wade through the valley of the economic crisis and have our house close, then move 24 hours later. Sheesh! But, we're settled in a lovely townhome and now I'm beginning to eye a lovely 9' wide piece of wall. It won't be for months or years, but I'm determined to research the "perfect" tank before we put down a single $.

So... donning my Eris costume, let me throw out what I suppose may constitute an "apple of discord." What do we all think is the right height for a tank that has sps's growing in the mid-to-top section, and lps's and ricordia down low AND AND AND clams!!!? (I have always wanted a clam. Every time I get close, I have to tear down/move/etc. Sigh.)

Footprint of tank-to-be: not to exceed 108" X 24" (thinking that I might best like a 96" X 24" for the spot I have in mind).

The question is really a two-parter:

1. What's the ideal height for the footprint?

2. What kind of light would be needed over your chosen height for the livestock types listed above?

Lighting Perameters: I want to keep costs to a minimum in terms of ongoing expenses, so I'm definitely thinking of T-5's, predominantly, with maybe a couple of halide fixtures on moving mounts that would distribute the light over the tank over the course of a day, instead of needing to put them all along the tank full time. So, picture fixed runs of T-5's fore and aft, and a center row of tracks that move one or two halide fixtures back and forth.

What do you think?

I think anything around 24" tall is good. As far as depth (front to back) goes, you gotta have 36" of depth. Every 36" deep tank I've seen has been incredible. You should look onto the Marineland "Deep Dimensions" series of tanks. Check them out here:

http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland...00&mid=3228

Scales was the first LFS to start carrying them. I'd contact them if you're interested.

Only you can answer your question. What do you want it to look like?

Justin likes tanks deep enough to swim in, Chris likes tanks 12" deep, I like 20"-22".

I would cut the 100"+ to ~60"-70" and up the 24" to ~30"-36"

I agree with Rik about the length of the tank too. Going to a 8' or 10' long tank means that you'll have to have even more lighting over your tank, adding to monthly costs. If you go from 24" to 36" in depth, you really don't have to add any additional lighting for that.

Do a 72" long tank if you only have 24" front-to-back. Anything longer will look a bit funny IMO. A standard 180 (72x24x24) would be perfect. Tanks usually look better if you don't try to use the maximum space available and you can use the money you save on good equipment and livestock. If it was my tank I'd do a T5HO system on it, maybe a 12x36" bulb or 16x36" bulb fixture, and forego the MH option.

The Deep Dimension tanks are awesome but in townhouse it might be a little much...

What are the chances of your having to reach to the bottom of the tank with your hand to pick up a fallen frag?

I personally don't like the look of standard 180's and think they would look waaaay better if they were 36" in height and agree with James on that...I also agree with the little bit shorter tank, but greater depth....

What are the chances of your having to reach to the bottom of the tank with your hand to pick up a fallen frag?

Oh, excellent point!

(edited)

I don't REALLY want to go over 24" for depth (front to back). It is a townhouse, after all. I have the length, though, and don't larger fish appreciate the length? :wig: The question is not so much aesthetic to me right now, although we will get to that. It's propagation/light at issue right now for me.

36" tall sounds GREAT; but I think James meant DEPTH. Assuming that it's a 24" ftb dimension, how tall can we go successfully? And, what kind of LIGHT do we need to penetrate down to clams??? (Do NOT forget the clams, best beloveds...)

As for the 6' dimension, if that's what we all think, I still have my 175 bowfront. I love that tank! I was just thinking that if I want to get bigger, now's the time.

Edited by FishWife

I wouldn't go more than 24" HIGH - too high and it becomes extremely difficult to clean the tank and aquascape. Add in the added cost of lighting for deeper tanks, and it's not worth it IMO.

I think anything around 24" tall is good. As far as depth (front to back) goes, you gotta have 36" of depth. Every 36" deep tank I've seen has been incredible. You should look onto the Marineland "Deep Dimensions" series of tanks. Check them out here:

http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland...00&mid=3228

Scales was the first LFS to start carrying them. I'd contact them if you're interested.

What do we all think of those corner overflows, aside from UGLY in the end-on view of the tank? Do they work or is it hard to get water into corners for surface skimming (my suspicion)?

(edited)
I wouldn't go more than 24" HIGH - too high and it becomes extremely difficult to clean the tank and aquascape. Add in the added cost of lighting for deeper tanks, and it's not worth it IMO.

Yeah... I hear ya. My bowfront is 29" tall... and varies from 18" deep at the ends to 24" deep at the center. It's a great tank, as I said. We always had about 5" of sand in the bottom to cover the closed loop, so the depth was effectively 24" for livestock. It really IS a great tank. But, I'd need to upgrade the stand, since it would be in my living room. AND it needs a canopy.... hmmm.

Those 36" ftb depths are amazing... :happy: time to get out the tape measure again!

Edited by FishWife

What do we all think of those corner overflows, aside from UGLY in the end-on view of the tank? Do they work or is it hard to get water into corners for surface skimming (my suspicion)?

I actually prefer the corner overflows. I personally had those overflows where the huge plastic columns are in the middle of the tank. Don't the corner overflows look like less of an eyesore when viewing the tank from the front, and isn't that more important than view from the side anyways??

36" depth is awesome. It allows some nice rock island aquascaping opportunities.

If I could do it all over again I would go with a 6 feet long tank with 36" depth and 24" height.

Here's an idea for your question- Put your favorite couch or chair in front of the wall about 6' away. Sit down, look straight ahead and have someone else draw a straight line from your eyes to the wall. Make a mark on the wall. Now, stand up and look straight ahead and trace this line to the wall. Ideally, you'll want the surface of the water a few inches +/- to the standing view. You'll want the center of the reef structure at the sitting view. This is also a good way to determine the overall height of the tank. If you make it too tall, you'll never be able to pick up something from the bottom.

I had corner overflows on an AGA 120 and they weren't that bad. With a Durso you get a mini refugium look and can get some interesting critters growing in there. I also second the Marineland tanks. A local shop down here in NC has the 5 footer set up and it is nice. I'm probably going to go with the 6x3. One other good thing about the marineland tanks is that they are sized to be able to fit through a standard door.. Always a nice thing to know..

(edited)
I had corner overflows on an AGA 120 and they weren't that bad. With a Durso you get a mini refugium look and can get some interesting critters growing in there. I also second the Marineland tanks. A local shop down here in NC has the 5 footer set up and it is nice. I'm probably going to go with the 6x3. One other good thing about the marineland tanks is that they are sized to be able to fit through a standard door.. Always a nice thing to know..

True that! I was awake early this morning wondering how to get an 8' thru the rooms to its destination. Then I mentally added 36" to it and thought... hmmm... maybe but doubtful in my house. :sleep: I'd have to measure. (Know what they say: measure twice, order custom tank once.)

You guys are making me think about a deeper tank. Though, as I sit in front of my RSM (which, proportionally is a deep look: 24" wide and 18" deep) and look at the stand it's massive. This thing would look like a refrigerator on its side. Cool, but definitely something to think about.

Mini-fuge is an interesting thought. Could I really put cheato in there (and a light) and actually HAVE a mini-fuge in each corner? See, my townhouse has the LR and FR as sort of a flowing big room with a wide opening between. The seating is such that the side of the tank is definitely noticeable from the side from the FR. AND, with a 3' depth, we surely WOULD watch the long view. So, whoever said "isn't front the important view?" is right for most settings, but not mine. Another way to handle the "I don't want to view the corner overflow" problem, I decided, was to flank a 6' X 3' tank with matching 18" wide X 9" deep bookshelves (the kind that bump out at hip height to a foot or so, and have cabinets, wherein I could store fish stuff out of sight) that would mask the first 9" of the tank from sight, but still allow viewing of the 27 remaining inches.

What does a 6' X 3' run down there for cost? I can't find prices on their website.

Edited by FishWife

Here's an idea for your question- Put your favorite couch or chair in front of the wall about 6' away. Sit down, look straight ahead and have someone else draw a straight line from your eyes to the wall. Make a mark on the wall. Now, stand up and look straight ahead and trace this line to the wall. Ideally, you'll want the surface of the water a few inches +/- to the standing view. You'll want the center of the reef structure at the sitting view. This is also a good way to determine the overall height of the tank. If you make it too tall, you'll never be able to pick up something from the bottom.

This is a great idea; along with putting chairs where the tank will be to see if the depth would kill me.

But folks: isn't a longer tank better for larger fish? Don't the like patrolling back and forth? I'm thinking of a clown tang, for instance, or a Christmas wrasse...?

I don't REALLY want to go over 24" for depth (front to back). It is a townhouse, after all. I have the length, though, and don't larger fish appreciate the length? :wig: The question is not so much aesthetic to me right now, although we will get to that. It's propagation/light at issue right now for me.

36" tall sounds GREAT; but I think James meant DEPTH. Assuming that it's a 24" ftb dimension, how tall can we go successfully? And, what kind of LIGHT do we need to penetrate down to clams??? (Do NOT forget the clams, best beloveds...)

As for the 6' dimension, if that's what we all think, I still have my 175 bowfront. I love that tank! I was just thinking that if I want to get bigger, now's the time.

I saw your 175 bowfront and I personally think you should just use that one. It already looked big in your last house. In a townhouse, it's going to look even bigger.

But folks: isn't a longer tank better for larger fish? Don't the like patrolling back and forth? I'm thinking of a clown tang, for instance, or a Christmas wrasse...?

Depth will make up for any lack in length. I'd say that a larger footprint is better for larger fish moreso than a longer tank (to some extent).

Congrats on the home purchase, that's truly an accomplishment given the current state of things.

I also live in a TH and have a 9-10' long wall where my 55 gallon currently sits. I don't have much in the way of side viewing as the tank sits at the narrow end of a rectangular room with the entrance on the far side. I've been thinking for a while now what size tank to replace the 55 with as it kinda looks out of place and dwarfed by the wall behind it. I used to think 180 was the way to go. But after seeing it in person, I think it will be too wide and will stick out too far from my wall, eliminating valuable seating space in the home theatre.

Currently, I'm liking the 125g (72x18x22) sized tanks. I think it's a good blend of length width and height. Enough room for a couple of tangs and other buddies, enough height to have a nice acro-forest going in a few years and you should be able to get some decent aquascaping. And you won't have to put your scuba mask and wet suit on to pick up the frag that fell in the back. You probably won't have enough depth for an island look with that sized tank. I may end up getting a custom sized tank as I have taken measurments and I think a 6' long, 20" deep and 24" tall tank would be ideal. Any deeper than 24" and I'd have to take my shirt off every time I have to reach down to the sand bed. I'm not the tallest person in the room, but I am 5'11" with some ape-like arms.

You may want to break out a tape measure and some masking tape and tape the footprint on the floor you'd like the tank to occupy, then measure it. Just be sure to leave room for overflows, plumbing, etc behind the tank. On my 55, I have about 4-5" of room behind the tank for the overflow. That should give you a good starting point for tank shopping. Good luck.

Congrats on the home purchase, that's truly an accomplishment given the current state of things.

You may want to break out a tape measure and some masking tape and tape the footprint on the floor you'd like the tank to occupy, then measure it. Just be sure to leave room for overflows, plumbing, etc behind the tank. On my 55, I have about 4-5" of room behind the tank for the overflow. That should give you a good starting point for tank shopping. Good luck.

Thanks about the sale. It was touch and go, but we had lots of sustaining grace! Right about space behind any tank; I was thinking of that. More and more I'm persuaded to stick with what I have. Contentment is often the best recipe to a happy life!

James: yes, you're right, my current tank is a big display; and I do love it. It's not yet sold, so that may be my answer: just upgrade the cabinet and get a canopy. That's the direction I'm leaning. I sure love my big tank fishies and anemones! Was SO SAD to tear it down. But, we need to wait for a few things before I can mount any tank, so this is all thinking aloud. Yet, it's good to have time to REALLY ponder; that way I don't kick myself later. I appreciate everyone's thoughts so much, especially about the fact that wider doesn't equal more lighting, whereas length does. Any more ideas?