Auto Fragger?

Why not make a device with a razor blade or knife spring loaded or otherwise that you could cock back and release to get a fast clean cuts for things like anems, rics, shrooms, leathers other soft corals?

i don't think the straight down approach would work, you need to have the slice to make the nice clean cut!

might end up just smashing a line in it!

jason, i hope you're not an OR nurse! remind me to stay away from your hospital when cutting needs to take place ....

but seriously, I think it's for the same reason that surgeons don't use it, very little control in case you line something up wrong, no room for error, and you should get a much cleaner cut with practice and a fresh scalpel blade.

OR no, trauma yes :biggrin: . What about something closer to a paper slicer. What i'm trying to do is avoid the multiple cutting, slicing, shredding action that I've seen taking place while propagating anems. It just seems a cleaner cut may lead to quicker healing times and more successful fraging.

OR no, trauma yes :biggrin: . What about something closer to a paper slicer. What i'm trying to do is avoid the multiple cutting, slicing, shredding action that I've seen taking place while propagating anems. It just seems a cleaner cut may lead to quicker healing times and more successful fraging.

Why not go get yourself a paper slicer and dedicate it to fragging only? :why:

See if you can find a surgeon that has cut one up. I bet it boils down to experience and knowing how to properly slice as well as having the proper equipment.

See if you can find a surgeon that has cut one up. I bet it boils down to experience and knowing how to properly slice as well as having the proper equipment.

I've done my fair share of fragging corals, baby pigs, cats, and frogs. The trick is having a clean, clutter free workspace, a sharp blade (REALLY sharp), and the surface you're cutting should be pulled tight. Some people refer to stretch it out, pin it down, and make the necessary cuts. If you've got a sharp clean blade, it'll be like butter.

I use dull rusty spoons on capnella and sarcophytons. I have to use a butter knife on sinularia. All to fine.

I can't imagine using a spring loaded device and control a cut, nor is there any real need. (see above)

I have a 2" guillotine, and it's even got a medicinal copper blade! I built it for class a long time ago, keep it around because it's cool. It's not really sharp or powerful enough for, well, anything, but it makes a nice 'thunk'

Paul

i don't think the straight down approach would work, you need to have the slice to make the nice clean cut!

might end up just smashing a line in it!

+1

My attempt at using my wife's egg slicer was a miserable failure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love of quilting bob...? While I have not come up with an auto fragger a scored piece of acrylic (a channel to keep the blade cutting straight) that has be roughed up with sand paper (keeps coral in place) and scaple blades has been working well for me.

Love of quilting bob...? While I have not come up with an auto fragger a scored piece of acrylic (a channel to keep the blade cutting straight) that has be roughed up with sand paper (keeps coral in place) and scaple blades has been working well for me.

No quilting here... but I'm making new curtains for the fish room! :)

bob