I need a job.

capsfan

What kind of job are you looking to get?

Edited by DDiver

And what would u do differently to your tank if u did have a job?

And what would u do differently to your tank if u did have a job?

First, i'd take all the rock out and scrub it down with a toothbrush to get rid of all the hair algae. Then, I'd get all the excess detritus of the bottom of the tank. Then I'd invest in a bunch of powerheads to combat all the dead spots in the tank. (I only have 1 working powerhead right now) Then I'd say to heck with the HOB filter because I hate it and would put on an overflow box and install a sump. I'd invest in a Phosban reactor and a RO/DI.

So basically...

Powerheads

Sump

Phosban Reactor

RO/DI

and no hair algae forever

I have not applied for any jobs as yet. I was just saying I could use some cash.

Hi, try the refugium section I started a post for people in our shoes:) and on the plus side no angry forum moderators! Oh and it seems that I'm battling the same stuff keep up with it I'm taking my tank appart this weekend and will tell you how it goes!

since your only a freshman, whats that, 14? It's hard to find jobs, as I have found being 15 and a sophmore, I ref soccer and believe me, I earn A LOT, my first season I was only earning say 12-15 dollars a game, now, I won't work for under $25 a game (my third season), as in $25 for about an hour and 15 min. ur into hockey, and I know that my friends who ref hockey earn WAYYYY more than me, so I would look into that, then again, you could be a bagger or something at any grocery store, you'll only get paid like $6 an hour, but it's a start....

Edited by L8 2 RISE

since your only a freshman, whats that, 14? It's hard to find jobs, as I have found being 15 and a sophmore, I ref soccer and believe me, I earn A LOT, my first season I was only earning say 12-15 dollars a game, now, I won't work for under $25 a game (my third season), as in $25 for about an hour and 15 min. ur into hockey, and I know that my friends who ref hockey earn WAYYYY more than me, so I would look into that, then again, you could be a bagger or something at any grocery store, you'll only get paid like $6 an hour, but it's a start....

I believe minimum wage is above $6/hr now.

I was wondering about that too! His age I meant the other oppertunity that you may want to consider is doing landscaping... mowing, trimming hedges and what not if you have the equipment you set your own hours and should make between 10-15 an hour if you get good at it. I paid my way through college. I was also a church janiter's assistant for a while eventually I became the head janitor and so on ... just a thought not sure how you feel about churchs.

First, i'd take all the rock out and scrub it down with a toothbrush to get rid of all the hair algae. Then, I'd get all the excess detritus of the bottom of the tank. Then I'd invest in a bunch of powerheads to combat all the dead spots in the tank. (I only have 1 working powerhead right now) Then I'd say to heck with the HOB filter because I hate it and would put on an overflow box and install a sump. I'd invest in a Phosban reactor and a RO/DI.

So basically...

Powerheads

Sump

Phosban Reactor

RO/DI

and no hair algae forever

I have not applied for any jobs as yet. I was just saying I could use some cash.

sounds like a plan..for now u should manually remove the algae and run some GFO in a bag..JMO

I'm actually a sophmore and 15. I did start reffing hockey games at one point, but then the league has been going down the tubes since. [Hockey isn't super big here in Winchester] I think I'll look into reffing this winter. I didn't think about that. Yesssss! Potential job!

Keep up with it and remeber to save like 20% for college or budget accordingly. I wish I had started at 16 I could of put away enough for the entire amount in about 4 years instead I had to work while in college and it was harder, but I kept my tank going... best wishes Troy

There's nothing wrong with landscaping/snow removal. I had a business when i was young and cleaned up. Me and a friend were pulling in $150-$250 per yard in the nicer neighborhoods. I have a neighbor who bought a car outright for his 16th birthday. Good money in that if you target the right neighborhoods.

I also used to clean the algae off boat bottoms for $50/hour in my late teens using my SCUBA gear. Good money.... and you never need a gym. you can only imagine how difficult it really is until you've done it. Run out of air and you learn to hold your breath. Alas, I digress.

Oh yeah, this was back in the 90s so you could probably get more these days.

Edited by WDLV

Yes I wish I could do that kind of work scrubbing boats seems like it would be good for me:) Anyway I digress still working on job stuff:)

By the time I was your age, I had already being doing tech support under the table at a local university for two years, and was sick of it. So when I turned 15, I went to work at a veterinary clinic. I had no previous experience with medicine or anything like that, and I ended up doing x-rays on large dogs, running the autoclave and preparing the instruments for a surgery, and I even resuscitated a pug dog in cardiac arrest. I started off just doing volunteer work for them (because they weren't hiring), but within a month, they decided to hire me because they saw I was a valuable employee. I know there are plenty of vets in Winchester, so maybe give this a try.

Also, I have to put a plug in for Wal-Mart, as my good friend is the regional manager. I believe it won some kind of prestigious award a couple years back - anyway, they might be looking for holiday help. There's hardly a lack of jobs, they just aren't always the funnest things you could be doing :biggrin:

When I was your age I was doing most of the jobs people already listed. From walking up and down the streets with lawn mower in tow, which turned out to be a full time job with accounts and regular houses and days to do them, to washing cars, ect. I made some pretty good money at that age. I wish some kids in my neighborhood would do that. I seem to pay them quite a bit more than if I was to get a lawn mowing service to do it, just because of their age and tenacity for trying to make money.

Whats gfo? just so I can see if theres something more I could be doing!

granular ferric oxide? like rowaphos and phosban...i used the stuff from aquaco..cant remember the name but that with vodka dosing and all mine is gon...just bare rocks now :)

When I was your age I was doing most of the jobs people already listed. From walking up and down the streets with lawn mower in tow, which turned out to be a full time job with accounts and regular houses and days to do them, to washing cars, ect. I made some pretty good money at that age. I wish some kids in my neighborhood would do that. I seem to pay them quite a bit more than if I was to get a lawn mowing service to do it, just because of their age and tenacity for trying to make money.

When I was that age I was paying attention to girls. :biggrin:

When I was that age I was paying attention to girls. :biggrin:

i worked at mcd's chasing the girls that worked there. married and divorced one of em..so beware..the work was crappy but at least it payed my bills at the time so i cant complain...all in all if it gets that bad i would go back.