Oh no!! Overnight coral warfare

Sugar Magnolia

I woke up this morning to find that something knocked my brand new mushrooms I got from Rob (zygote) right up against my new favia. The mushrooms are all shriveled up and slimed over. What are the chances they will recover?

What a bummer! I do however have one that I pulled off the rock that is inside my in-tank refugium.

This is why i always try and separate new fags I get, I think there is a chance they'll survive the ones that got nailed by my nem made it but it took a good week to recover.

simply give it time, I've had mushrooms sit next to a bta, and they were always getting stung, but as soon as the bta moved, they were back to normal. Chances are that favia sting isn't as potent as an anemone, give the shrooms some time, and i'm sure they'll be fine.

Mushrooms emit chemical warfare, so if i were you, i'd run some carbon, for the next few days.

Yeah, I've got the carbon running. They still weren't looking too good so I pulled them and gave them a 10 minute dip in coral disinfectant, figured it couldn't hurt. I guess I'll know in a couple of days if they'll recover.

This is why i always try and separate new fags I get, I think there is a chance they'll survive the ones that got nailed by my nem made it but it took a good week to recover.

You mean 'frags'?

I am surprised the mushroom lost this battle. They actually have a very potent sting. In my tank I have had a purple Favia killed by mushrooms. Maybe it depends on which way the current is flowing. Since Favia's weapon of choice is sweeper tentacles, the mushrooms have to attack from the direction of flow ("up water"?) to succeed. Just as likely I guess is that it depends on the particular species of mushroom and/or favia invovled in the fight, as well as such obvious factors as proper diet, training, motivation, getting enough sleep, etc. . . . :biggrin:

So is it really bad for corals to have mushrooms growing all over the liverock? My tank is at the point where there are mushrooms popping up in various places on their own.

(edited)

It's looking like most of the mushrooms are pretty much gone. They had fallen on the side that the current would have been directing the favia's sweepers towards the shrooms, so who knows how long the favia's sweepers were zapping them. There may be one or two that can recover but the majority of them have turned to a jelly-like goo. I took some pics and will post them in the morning. :(

Lesson learned. You'd think by now I'd know better. :why: I'll be putting together a couple of frag racks to cram in the tank somewhere till those frag-mag plugs come in from the group buy.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

So is it really bad for corals to have mushrooms growing all over the liverock? My tank is at the point where there are mushrooms popping up in various places on their own.

It's bad for different species of coral to touch. How bad just depends on the type.

For instance, I have suffered a similar issue myself this week - my gigantic frogspawn was touching a new $100 set of two specimens I got from AquaCo during the sale last week. Doh! Several polyps on the new and expensive coral look like they were burned with a match. Frogspawn wins.

My rock flower anemone decided to migrate a few inches when I moved my powerhead. This completely blew me away, because this guy hasn't moved a bit since the tank started, and I've exposed it to all sorts of conditions. I actually wondered if he was glued on or something. Anyway, it wiped out the last little bit of acro that was on the opposite end of the rock. Anemone wins (as well as giving me a welt on my thumb when I moved the acro).

THEN, when two of the suction cups on my maxi-mod came off, a new frag of red plating monti I acquired from Mark over the weekend dropped onto my green palys... and now, I have a very nice, completely white piece of rock that used to be a tabling monti. Palys win.

:( :( :( I think my tank is shrinking

It's bad for different species of coral to touch. How bad just depends on the type.

For instance, I have suffered a similar issue myself this week - my gigantic frogspawn was touching a new $100 set of two specimens I got from AquaCo during the sale last week. Doh! Several polyps on the new and expensive coral look like they were burned with a match. Frogspawn wins.

My rock flower anemone decided to migrate a few inches when I moved my powerhead. This completely blew me away, because this guy hasn't moved a bit since the tank started, and I've exposed it to all sorts of conditions. I actually wondered if he was glued on or something. Anyway, it wiped out the last little bit of acro that was on the opposite end of the rock. Anemone wins (as well as giving me a welt on my thumb when I moved the acro).

THEN, when two of the suction cups on my maxi-mod came off, a new frag of red plating monti I acquired from Mark over the weekend dropped onto my green palys... and now, I have a very nice, completely white piece of rock that used to be a tabling monti. Palys win.

:( :( :( I think my tank is shrinking

Now might be a good time to revive that who wins last (or whatever it's called) thread. It would be neat if we had something like that separated into categories, like softies verses stoney, stoney vs stoney, mushhrooms vs things, palys and zoas vs things, and things ve people. The thread was a lot of information to take in and I've been going extremely slow on building up non-fish livestock.

yes... SOME mushrooms are very mean and nasty to corals. I have 'fuzzy' green mushrooms that kill most everything they touch. Whereas most of the smooth ones are not so bad.

bob

yes... SOME mushrooms are very mean and nasty to corals. I have 'fuzzy' green mushrooms that kill most everything they touch. Whereas most of the smooth ones are not so bad.

bob

the ones on my LR are green-stripe and red - are those usually safe?

the ones on my LR are green-stripe and red - are those usually safe?

A lot of sources seem to classify them as fairly mild but IME vs favia, candy cane, zoas, and acros and montis, the discosoma usually win. They lose to anemones, acans, and rics, while the turbinaria holds its own. The damage is usually localized and slow and therefore easy to stop in time, and the same treatments that work for aiptasia are effective for controlling the spread - Kalk paste in syringe is my weapon of choice.