Consequences of stupidity?

mogurnda

pick Dave's punishment  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What happens when a DSB is turned upside down?

• algae bog
    • SPS meltdown
    • sulfide stink and massive death
    • nothig

I saw a WAMAS member's tank with two engineer gobies in it. I don't know how long they had been there - but they could basically go through tunnels they had made all over in the substrate. I don't know what might happen. If you have some filter socks that you change very regularly, and a good skimmer - probably nothing. One thought is that with the loss of stable anaerobic cultures in your sand bed - you might want to add a remote DSB for de-nitrating assistance.

I put my gold-headed sleeper goby in my tank when it was fairly new. He sifts a ton of sand - and digs a few holes here and there. But nothing like the engineer gobies do. Nonetheless - I have the cleanest looking sand bed you ever saw - and the tank is nearing 9 months old.

bob

I saw a WAMAS member's tank with two engineer gobies in it. I don't know how long they had been there - but they could basically go through tunnels they had made all over in the substrate. I don't know what might happen. If you have some filter socks that you change very regularly, and a good skimmer - probably nothing. One thought is that with the loss of stable anaerobic cultures in your sand bed - you might want to add a remote DSB for de-nitrating assistance.

I put my gold-headed sleeper goby in my tank when it was fairly new. He sifts a ton of sand - and digs a few holes here and there. But nothing like the engineer gobies do. Nonetheless - I have the cleanest looking sand bed you ever saw - and the tank is nearing 9 months old.

bob

Yeah, but with that goby, don't you have a constant cloudiness in your tank. I had one in my old 180, and it seemed like the haze would never go away. I'd love to have one again, for the same reason you're describing, but I really hated even the slight cloudiness of the water that was created. Don't get me wrong, that fish is great for keeping the sandbed clean. I even put one in my Mom's tank since her porc puffer laid waste to the nassarius snails. But she too is experiencing the constant particles in her tank.

Algae bog. Technically bacteria bog- I'll bet you see some red cyano for a little while. You might do some preemptive water changes to help keep water quality under control.

This is interesting. I just bought a yellow watchman and not a month later I'm having red algae outbreaks... I have changed a few other variables (lights, rodi filters) but I hadn't thought about this!

Thanks

I wanna see what they did to your sand... can you take some pics :)

Here are a few shots. I need to find some "before" views to give some perspective.

They started at this end.

sandpile_0483.jpg

Then they got bored and went to the other end. In the process, they have now turned over about 75% of the sandbed. Still no disasters, but it's definitely cloudy, and some problems take a while to develop.

sandpile_0481.jpg

I used to have a sand sifting goby in my old 45g. He was fun to watch and all but at the same time it was a nightmare. My tank constantly get cloudy especially I had fine grade sand.

Luckly for me he decideed to go carpet surfing couple week after. I was not sad that day.

Congestion from allergies.

i voted nothig too. achoo....

i would say ask steve outlaw....i think he wanted to go fishing after a while of getting his. even though they are a cool fish i think the sand turn over would be better accomplished with a sand sifting cuke... much slower but probly safer. poops out perfectly clean sand. wish i could say the same for my rabbit.

oh and i wouldn't call it stupidity...just call it an experiment on the behavior of engineer gobies and their owners :biggrin:

Edited by GaryL

oh and i wouldn't call it stupidity...just call it an experiment on the behavior of engineer gobies and their owners :biggrin:

What is a word for knowing better but doing something anyway? Stubborn? Willful? Dave?

Anyway, despite the cloudiness, I really love the new guys. They move around like little ghosts, reminding me of some sort of space alien.

What is a word for knowing better but doing something anyway? Stubborn? Willful? Dave?

Anyway, despite the cloudiness, I really love the new guys. They move around like little ghosts, reminding me of some sort of space alien.

Thought it was drunk, although my wife would probably agree that Dave is a good term to describe it!

Thought it was drunk, although my wife would probably agree that Dave is a good term to describe it!

dude...lmao! there is this guy who works with me and he is soooo hard headed no matter what you tell him he has a better way....but it takes longer to do it.

guess what his name is :biggrin:

dude...lmao! there is this guy who works with me and he is soooo hard headed no matter what you tell him he has a better way....but it takes longer to do it.

guess what his name is :biggrin:

I'll guess it's also "Gary"

I have an Eng. Goby in my 40g skimmerless tank. The only thing I notice from time to time when it digs a fresh hole/burrow, is an oily sheen on the surface. The water is always crystal clear. Otherwise, I think it does a good job at turning the sand over. Maybe better than the sand-sifting star since it moves the sand under the rock. I don't worry abour rockslides since I have one layer of rock on the sand- nothing stacked.

A little over two weeks later, and the effect is "nothig." They seem to have slowed down their digging, the water has cleared up, and it looks the same as ever. Looks like there's not a lot of consequence to digging up the sandbed.