Pimped Out Aquariums (NAGA)

ArtC

Jeff did contact me last week to say he intended to pay half of the $1200 yesterday, but yesterday e-mailed that he was having some trouble cashing his customer's check and needed a couple more days.

I told him I would be filing bad check charges on Thursday if I didn't see some cash by then.

Not happy to be in this position, but $1200 is almost the after-tax value of this year's raise. (Non-profit employer)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, sorry to hear about your pain. Hopefully things will work out for everyone, but even sometimes, it sucks to do business with friends. Good luck ArtC, hopefully you get the money owed you, good luck NAGA, hopefully the business will thrive in these harsh times.

• 2 weeks later...

NAGA did contact me a week ago that he would have some money for me on the 15th - he even faxed the deposit receipt that showed checks deposited and the hold until the 15th.

But on the 15th, he was MIA again and hasn't answered my e-mail since.

So filing bad check charges at the Anne Arundel courthouse is back on my to-do list.

It's unfortunate that tough times fall on everyone. I feel bad that it has to come to this where you feel you have to take that next step in trying to recover your money. I also feel bad for Jeff as I think he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Though I have never had business with Jeff, I did talk to him a few times in the past and felt that he was a nice guy. I think that if things are different for Jeff financially, he would not shirk his responsibility of doing what is right for his customers. Just my thought. I wish both of you the best in this hard time.

Guest Stonecold

How ethical do you all think NAGA is when he has not paid the balance due to ArtC, but yet he has money to buy 70 SPS colonies/frags?

How ethical do you all think NAGA is when he has not paid the balance due to ArtC, but yet he has money to buy 70 SPS colonies/frags?

How/When did this happen? If so then it is unacceptable IMO, but not my place to decide...

EDIT: nevermind, I saw the thread :sad:

Edited by L8 2 RISE

Sounds like someone who does'nt stand behind his word. You would think somebody who is known so well in this hobby would want to resolve this matter for future business prospects. Not somebody i would deal with. This hobby is expensive enough as is, without being cheated out of your money!!

I noticed that too. If it hasn't been settled yet, then that wasn't a very smart move on his part to post that.

well for those that need to know the purchase I made was not with my funds as it was a brokered deal in which I was the transferring agent. Art has been paid a small part of what I owe and I will continue to pay as much as I can. Certainly it's not as fast as everyone would like including myself.

As NAGA mentioned above, he did make a first (cash) payment on the outstanding balance just before Christmas.

Jeff did ask me to remember that my posting about this issue didn't help him develop new business and new income. I appreciate and considered the impact on Jeff and myself before starting this thread, but eventually decided that I also had some responsibility to the other club members. After several months of inaction, I warned Jeff that I was about to start this thread, but that I'd post both the negative and positive developments.

I am confirming that money was received and therefore I haven't initiated more formal collection procedures.

It would take a number of payments equal to the one Jeff made to clear the balance, but it is a start. To try to get this issue off the table, I'll make an offer to Jeff. Any money paid during January 2009 will be credited as $2 for every $1 cash received.

Jeff brokers many deals, and I assumed the SPS colonies were such a deal.

fwiw, i recently saw a naga-built fuge that was delivered very recently. It looked good overall and no complaints from the buyer.

Jeff did ask me to remember that my posting about this issue didn't help him develop new business and new income. ....

Well, even after the posting, I tried to throw some business his way but he wasn't interested.

It would take a number of payments equal to the one Jeff made to clear the balance, but it is a start. To try to get this issue off the table, I'll make an offer to Jeff. Any money paid during January 2009 will be credited as $2 for every $1 cash received.

ArtC, this is very generous.

As NAGA mentioned above, he did make a first (cash) payment on the outstanding balance just before Christmas.

Jeff did ask me to remember that my posting about this issue didn't help him develop new business and new income. I appreciate and considered the impact on Jeff and myself before starting this thread, but eventually decided that I also had some responsibility to the other club members. After several months of inaction, I warned Jeff that I was about to start this thread, but that I'd post both the negative and positive developments.

I am confirming that money was received and therefore I haven't initiated more formal collection procedures.

Wow.. just wow...

I feel for you man. You have done nothing wrong and now have to resort to giving a discount to recoup some money. I dare even say

you been extorted to keep it on the down low in hopes of getting your money.

As a small business, one would think reputation is #1. Especially when your business relies on word of mouth in a small community.

I wish you luck and thanks for for letting us know. I hope karma returns you a favor in the future.

Good grief :excl:

Jeff steals your money, jerks you around for 8 months, and then instead of getting down on his hands and knees and thanking you for not taking legal action like you should of 6 months ago...he blames you?

I cannot put into words how disturbing I find this whole situation.

It seems likely to me that Jeff is taking advantage of your very good nature, and I for one find it very difficult to believe that he just absolutely could not have ever made a payment in the last 8 months.

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Just a thought. I this is my second time reading a long thread about this member. I have heard from other mouths not words on a screen nothing but negative feedback. I apologize if this seems rude, but if the guy is this shady why are people still going to him for tank work? There are plenty of other reputable vendors on the site, Blue Ribbon Koi, Reef Escape, The Auqa Co, Mr. Coral, etc. I'm all for the 411 on a shady people to keep my self from getting screwed or letting others get screwed.

Just a thought. I this is my second time reading a long thread about this member. I have heard from other mouths not words on a screen nothing but negative feedback. I apologize if this seems rude, but if the guy is this shady why are people still going to him for tank work? There are plenty of other reputable vendors on the site, Blue Ribbon Koi, Reef Escape, The Auqa Co, Mr. Coral, etc. I'm all for the 411 on a shady people to keep my self from getting screwed or letting others get screwed.

Perhaps people are giving him a bit of a break because of his LONG and generous association with this club, and many of the members? Some people are better at being people than they are at being businessmen. He over-extended himself - probably buying that big CNC machine - as we were coming into an economic downturn. I'm sure this is extremely uncomfortable for him, and if he could make it all 'go away' he would do so. Don't get the wrong idea - I am not a friend of his, or even a customer (I purchased a coral from him once). Just thought I could explain why people are still getting work done by him.

bob

• 3 months later...

Just an update that as Naga's business has been picking up he has been working to clear up some old issues.

Jeff made another payment on this issue last week. Still a way to go, but he hasn't walked away from it.

Very good to hear it. The sump he built me years ago is one of my best purchases I have made.

I just ordered a custom sump!!! I decided to see what NAGA can do... ever since I saw a few tanks he made at a WAMAS meeting I have wanted him to make my sump...

Hopefully part of it will go towards the money he owes ArtC. Also understand that threads like this are scary for vendors... it has probably cost him thousands of dollars and certainly didn't make it easier to pay back art!!