Should I Switch To T5?

Bendalat

Guys,

Please help me to decide.

Currently, I have four 400w 20k XM on my 300g (5'x4'x2') tank.

I have no complain with the MH but I'm always looking for improvement in the coral's color department.

Should my corals have better color if I change the MH to T5?

If yes, what lamps combination should I get?

I'm thinking of the IceCap 16 lamps retrofit.

Thank you for your help.

P.S: for reference, here is my tank under MH

0108full.JPG

I would try some different MH bulbs before you go through the hassle of changing over to T5s. I know they are a bit more money, but I've seen the Radiums and they are amazing. I have also seen the Ushio 14K bulbs and I like those as well. The 14K Ushios are only available in 400watt bulbs, not 250. If you want to see what the Ushios look like, take a trip over to Rik's (Leishmans) place to see. Chris (gadgents143) is running 250watt Radiums so you can get an idea what they look like from his tank.

I ran 20K XMs for about the past year, and after seeing so many other tanks, I realized the 20K XMs put off too much of a blue. Don't get me wrong, I like the blue look, but its almost more of a purple look than a blue tinge. I tried a 400watt Radium bulb over my 92gal but ran into crazy temperature problems, so I returned the ballast and bulb (Thanks premiumaquatics, they ROCK!). Once my credit has been returned, I'm going to go with the 250watt radium instead. AMAZING color out of that bulb. Just enough blue, but still looks like its got alot of white. Trust me, you won't be disappointed with them.

What ballasts are you running?? Radiums won't run on M58 or M59 ballasts.

i agree w/ jb. i would just try different mh bulbs to find something that you may like more. to be honest, if you like what you see and everybody is happy, then why changes things??? we can tinker all we want, but i think how the tank is doing is to most important. i wouldnt change just to change, but to try to make things better for every1 involved. thats just my 2/5 of a nickel.

if you do t5's, consider the aquactinic reflectors. they are only 2'' wide and as a result have better depth penetration.

(edited)

Khanh,

I'd toy with bulb/ballast combo's prior to jumping off onto T5, your tank is fairly deep.

I don't recall the ballasts you are running, but you are always welcome to play with 2 blueline ballasts if you like. My schedule is wacky over the summer, but you know where I live :)

Cheers,

Scott

Edited by traveller7

Wow, Khanh, I wouldn't mess with a thing! Your corals have outstanding color and I find that your tank is wonderful to look at! If you do want to play, however, you're more than welcome to borrow a spare HQI ballast that I have and use that with one of my bulbs to see (Helios 20,000K). One thing that I think might help, however, is that instead of supplementing with actinic try throwing on a daylight bulb instead, or even one lower in the kelvin spectrum. One thing that I found interesting was that when I had halogen flood lamps in my ceiling fixtures they lent some other colors to my corals in my frag system due to the added red, orange, and yellow spectrums. Full spectrum lighting may complete what you're looking for in your corals' coloration.

i agree as well, however if you do decide go with ATI, reefgeek.com is a dealer.

they say max tank depth is 24 to 36 in, plus they are a bit pricey over 1200 for one 36 inch 10 bulb set up

I cant help much with the bulbs, but your tank looks absolutely amazing!!!! you need a dedicated tank forum, It's beautiful. I'm definetly nominating you for the next TOTM! :biggrin:

You should try the Radiums if u want more color. I love them! Much more color than the xms. Rik is now using radiums after seeing robbie's and my tank. I tried t5s and they weren't my cup of tea. Good growth but I couldn't get the color radiums gave me.

You should try the Radiums if u want more color. I love them! Much more color than the xms. Rik is now using radiums after seeing robbie's and my tank. I tried t5s and they weren't my cup of tea. Good growth but I couldn't get the color radiums gave me.

ahahaha! Rik broke down and switched eh. He mentioned the last time I was over there that he might regrettably switch to Radiums. Didn't sound like he wanted to use "your" bulbs. Its always a competition with you two!

I just added a 18k T-5 in my setup the other day. The color spectrum was on the box and looked a lot broader than the standard.

I can't tell the difference cause I just transfered tanks.

ahahaha! Rik broke down and switched eh. He mentioned the last time I was over there that he might regrettably switch to Radiums. Didn't sound like he wanted to use "your" bulbs. Its always a competition with you two!

LOL!!! Yeah we finally got him to switch. He is loving it.

I recently switched to Radiums. I've yet to see a T5 set up that compares.

(edited)

A little off topic but WOW a 4' deep tank; very nice. Those fish must be huge to look that big in a 5' wide tank!

Is that a custom acrylic? WOuld love to see pics from the back too.

Edited by Larry Grenier

Thank you all.

Follow your advice, I think I will stay with the MH but try some different combination.

I'm already tried Radium for 2 years, any bulbs else that you recommand?

My problem is the color is "too deep";

The sky blue turns to navy blue.

The lavender turns dark purple.

The rose milli turns orange

The red talbe (from Rik) turns orange-red.

I would love to see the color of my corals get a little brighter.

Khanh,

You can try the 14K Aquaconnects. Apparently these are some of the nicest bulbs on the market. Only problem is, they are EXPENSIVE!!!! $130 per bulb. Too rich for my blood. :)

You can try the 14K Aquaconnects. Apparently these are some of the nicest bulbs on the market. Only problem is, they are EXPENSIVE!!!! $130 per bulb. Too rich for my blood. :)

Aren't the lifespans of the radiums short in comparison? Maybe better in the long run?

The Aquaconnects are rated for about 1yr. The radiums run on an electronic ballast are rated for about 10-12. If you run them on an hqi ballast then it overdrives them and they only last about 6 months.

Everyone loves khahn's tank ... it's an 'experience' - especially under actinics. Because of the width, depth, and altitude (low) - you feel like you're IN the tank, instead of looking at it.

bob

i agree with bob..if khahn ever opens his home to you to visit....DO NOT HESITATE!

i have seen different setups he has done in the past and they are without a doubt amazing. and he seems modest about them too.

i agree with bob..if khahn ever opens his home to you to visit....DO NOT HESITATE!

i have seen different setups he has done in the past and they are without a doubt amazing. and he seems modest about them too.

I gotta agree with both statements. Definitely one of the do-not-miss Wamas tanks, and he is very humble about his setup. I didn't realize it, but when I visited, I spent nearly 2 hours gawking over his setup. Its what I hope to have someday when I'm making mortgage payments and have no fear of moving. His corals all are LE somewhat or another, and all of his fish are FAT!! Simply awesome.

Awesome tank.we should petition for a tank tour..

Thank you all for your compliments.

I think I can do a tank tour on November.

Could someone tell me how it works?

Thanks again,