Stocking nanos

FishWife

(edited)

So, I only have T-5's and actinics now: no halides. Ahh, a new challenge. Leaveing out SPSs, what are the best colorful LPSs and Zoos?

Also, fish. Hmmm. Looking at a Court Jester Goby... anyone have one? Can I keep more than one type of goby?

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/2008...jester-goby.jpg

How many fish can I put into a 34g nano (soon with 10g refugium/sandbed)? Hmmm. Midas Blenny and....?

Edited by FishWife

I've never stocked a nano, but I would think you run out of room very quickly unless you thoroughly plan out the stocking list, and keep the specimens small. No giant show-size corals unless you want it to monopolize the tank, plus a big coral will probably look out of scale in a nano. Also, corals with long sweeper tentacles like galaxias may be problematic unless they're positioned just right and are small frags. Something that sways in the water flow would also be good to add motion, given the relatively low number of fish.

Jon

I am having so much fun thinking about what I want to put in the 24 gallon that I got from Jeff! There are so many wonderful little gobies and blennies who would just disappear in my larger tank.

I've never stocked a nano, but I would think you run out of room very quickly unless you thoroughly plan out the stocking list, and keep the specimens small. No giant show-size corals unless you want it to monopolize the tank, plus a big coral will probably look out of scale in a nano. Also, corals with long sweeper tentacles like galaxias may be problematic unless they're positioned just right and are small frags. Something that sways in the water flow would also be good to add motion, given the relatively low number of fish.

Jon

Right; I'm thinking I should pay most attention to scale. Thinking that my midas blenny is a bit oversized, but that's ok 'cause I love her so much. Looking at bright zoos, small LPSs, etc.

Frogs spawn and hamers and lots of zoos for that ever popular nano grass look:) Stay away from toadstools and xenia and all other fast growers and you'll be fine maybe you can get some blue xenia:)

oh and from what I've read you shouldn't try and keep multiple blenies together in a small tank they may fight:)

you could do a blenny a pair of perculas or occelirs clowns one more fish just remeber to add them slowly!

nanos have a tendancy to crash alot faster then larger tanks also depeding on placement you may need a chiller!

Frogs spawn and hamers and lots of zoos for that ever popular nano grass look:) Stay away from toadstools and xenia and all other fast growers and you'll be fine maybe you can get some blue xenia:)

oh and from what I've read you shouldn't try and keep multiple blenies together in a small tank they may fight:)

you could do a blenny a pair of perculas or occelirs clowns one more fish just remeber to add them slowly!

nanos have a tendancy to crash alot faster then larger tanks also depeding on placement you may need a chiller!

My blue xenia took off like a weed in my big tank! People who come on Saturday will get quite a bit on two rocks. Forrest: have you gotten any yet?

I definitely like the candy cane (trumpet) neon green, looks great under the actinics. Just get one with a couple head and enjoy them growing.

I would also recommend a hammer or frogspawn.

Not sure if you like ricordeas, I have a few in my tanks and they add some nice colors.

Mike

(edited)

Here's my 18g (thinking of selling it soon)

FTS2-16-08.jpg

photo-4.jpg

The clowns are in the display now and the nano has 2 of these Trima Gobies

TrimaTubs.jpg

and 2 of these (not my pic - they are so thin I can't get a focused shot)

hibashiyouji.jpg

I got the Trimas and African Bluestripe Pipefish from AQUACO

Edited by Leishman

(edited)

My blue xenia took off like a weed in my big tank! People who come on Saturday will get quite a bit on two rocks. Forrest: have you gotten any yet?

I would LOVE a piece of blue xenia if you are giving some away. The tiny one I got from SWAP was immediately preyed upon by aterinas - it was too small to avoid being creeped over by every tiny star, snail, and crab :(

Nano fish I suggest are the occi pair, firefish, yellow clown goby, neon stripe goby. Peppermint shrimps seem to be a good nano shrimp.

You can keep SPS under T-5s. What very sparse SPS frags I have at home are at about 12" deep and are fine. I lost about 3 because I thought I would need to put them higher and they bleached from their tips down. If I had T-5s for my work nano, I would put SPS in there... that's down the road on my wish list.

Corals that tend to grow fast can just be fragged if you do want to keep those corals. I'm sure you would find people to trade, buy, or accept for free.

Edited by treesprite

Here's my 18g (thinking of selling it soon)

FTS2-16-08.jpg

photo-4.jpg

The clowns are in the display now and the nano has 2 of these Trima Gobies

TrimaTubs.jpg

and 2 of these (not my pic - they are so thin I can't get a focused shot)

hibashiyouji.jpg

I got the Trimas and African Bluestripe Pipefish from AQUACO

VERY cool. I love those little bluestripes! Thanks for sharing you pics. I am definitely doing zoos and frogspawn. Have already fragged my favorites from the big tank. :wig:

In my 30 cube I have a misbar clown and it's anem, a fridmani dottyback (very shy), a neon blue goby that loves to clean my hand and arm while it's in the tank working, and a yasha haze goby. For the most part, eveyone gets along, but occasionally the fridmani will chase the yasha back under it's rock. I wouldn't put too many fish in your nano, the more fish you have, the fster the water quality will decline. I'd say three or for is just right.

(edited)

Any interest in Pipe fish? The African Blue striped ones that Leishman has are great, there are also the Dragon Pipes which are really cool or Yellow striped pipes which are gorgeous as well.

Yashia gobys are really cool too.

Edited by newfish

I love my African bluestripe pipe. He eats full size pe mysis like a pig. Got him from Sean at Aquaco about a month ago. I had one a few years back that was much more finicky about eating, and did not have the bright blue coloration of this guy. I would highly recommend, as they are some of the coolest fish to watch swim around and pick at the pods. I may have just gotten lucky with this guy; I know some are slow to take frozen food at first.

gallery_2631560_438_57259.jpg

gallery_2631560_438_14080.jpg

As for my tank, I moved up from FL about 3 months ago, and had to break down my 90. I basically took frags of every coral I could, and now have a jam-packed 12 gallon nano cube. I opted for frags of my frogspawn, duncan, and other LPS to give the tank movement, and let acans, zoos, etc. fill in the space. I think in a nano, it looks nicer to group coral so it doesn't look like a bunch of coral just got thrown in there--gives it a bit of order. I have found that it is tough to keep the LPS that expands (frogspawns, hammers, torches). I really had to give my frogspawn plenty of space, as well as the hammer. I think they are worth the real estate. I have the pipe, a pair of true percs, and a blue and yellow blenny. Probably too much livestock, but my corals have thrived with weekly water changes, and every fish has a huge amount of personality (except for the dumb clowns). I think you will find that the smaller nano-suited inverts are fascinating and a fun addition. Good luck on the new tank!

gallery_2631560_438_61215.jpg

gallery_2631560_438_27421.jpg

(edited)

I loved my Pistol shrimp and yellow watchman combo in my old 29 gallon. Also a Pygmy Angel or Pink Skunk clowns might be nice.

was my favorite fish..

1795_Centropyge_argiAQ.jpg

or a Flame Angel would be cool.

I had considered a nano seahorse tank as well.

Edited by Freezerburn

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to second the pistol shrimp/goby combo. Its an interaction you really can't appreciate until it is on a small scale right infront of you like in a nano. Obviously the number of fish depends on the size and how much they swim, etc.

My last 34 gal had 2 clowns, a goby, pistol shrimp, 6 line wrasse and pseudochromis comfortably residing in it because no one competed for territory.

Check this thread out:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...l=fish+stocking

Good Luck!

One thing about yashia gobis...I had two in a 40, and one continually attacked the other. I rescued the poor little guy and put him in my aquapod 24, where he is currently the sole occupant with a couple of pieces of PVC to hide in and feel secure.

He's doing really well in there, with his fins grown back and eating well. I missed fragfest today (silly me), and was planning to go and use frags to begin stocking the 24 but it was not to be. I'll be slowly setting up the 24 as time goes on, so I'll be watching this thread to see what others are doing.

I just found a really cool fish that you might be interested in, it's pretty expensive, but cool. Flaming Prawn Goby

THAT is a cool fish! Wow! Wonder if it would fight a rainford goby? How many gobies can coexist in a smaller tank? Anyone know?

How do the pipefish fare in a tank with high water flow? Are they fragile swimmers, or can they hang in a tank with high turnover?

I love my African bluestripe pipe. He eats full size pe mysis like a pig. Got him from Sean at Aquaco about a month ago. I had one a few years back that was much more finicky about eating, and did not have the bright blue coloration of this guy. I would highly recommend, as they are some of the coolest fish to watch swim around and pick at the pods. I may have just gotten lucky with this guy; I know some are slow to take frozen food at first.

As for my tank, I moved up from FL about 3 months ago, and had to break down my 90. I basically took frags of every coral I could, and now have a jam-packed 12 gallon nano cube. I opted for frags of my frogspawn, duncan, and other LPS to give the tank movement, and let acans, zoos, etc. fill in the space. I think in a nano, it looks nicer to group coral so it doesn't look like a bunch of coral just got thrown in there--gives it a bit of order. I have found that it is tough to keep the LPS that expands (frogspawns, hammers, torches). I really had to give my frogspawn plenty of space, as well as the hammer. I think they are worth the real estate. I have the pipe, a pair of true percs, and a blue and yellow blenny. Probably too much livestock, but my corals have thrived with weekly water changes, and every fish has a huge amount of personality (except for the dumb clowns). I think you will find that the smaller nano-suited inverts are fascinating and a fun addition. Good luck on the new tank!