Withdrawl pains

FishWife

(edited)

As I sell off my animals one by one I am SERIOUSLY thinking of getting a nano or cube or biocube... a self-contained system that I can move easily as we go through the next two years. (Can I move these puppies, or are there issues?)

1. What brands are best?

2. What are the pros and cons?

3. I had planned to go cold turkey out of the hobby, but this is killing me! Can I mount one now and still move it?

4. Could a blenny live in a 24g biocube?

5. How well do these all-in-ones keep the parameters?

6. What corals could I have? Advice, pls, friends?

7. My goals would include keeping a couple of LPSs, a fish or two (I'd adore a Midas and ... something to keep it company... ideas?) and really that's about it.

Edited by FishWife

I keep a nano and it takes about 3 hours to move a nano:) I've moved lances before... I would go with the new type that have a metal halide syestem and a chiller in these you can keep most anything... anyway hope it helps keep the fish blues away!

If you want a nano, I have an BioCube8. It's way easier to move and doesn't cause any issues. You can place a LMB in there, but a clown fish and one clown goby would be perfect. I'll even just trade you for a few items if you'd like instead of having any $$ cross between. Let me know.

Check with Mr. Coral to see if he still does the Oceanic tanks at cost. You can get a 29gal Oceanic biocube. I know Dr. Foster and Smith has them on sale right now too.

Don't leave!!!!!

You know Marcia what kind of info you'll get from this group :biggrin:

Go for it! And to show my support, I won't be a jerk and insist I still get "Honey" the Midas Blenny :clap:

If it were me, I'd go with a 20 or so Acrylic Cube. You can move an Acrylic with the sand still in it with much less fear of splitting a seam.

from the research I have done on nano's, I would go with the new "red sea max" it's a bit on the expensive side, but is all included and there are tones of mods out there depending on what you want. It has a specific place to add a chiller, as well as a built in thermostat and heater. I've seen a mod for removing the skimmer, putting a better one in, as some people say it's lacking, and then using the left over space for a refugium. The list goes on, there are also mods for the lighting, etc. It would be easy to move, yet one of the largest "all in one nano's" out there at 35 gallons. With that size, you could keep a lot of things a normal sized nano wouldn't be able to hold.

(edited)

You know Marcia what kind of info you'll get from this group :biggrin:

Go for it! And to show my support, I won't be a jerk and insist I still get "Honey" the Midas Blenny :clap:

If it were me, I'd go with a 20 or so Acrylic Cube. You can move an Acrylic with the sand still in it with much less fear of splitting a seam.

THIS is why I'm having withdrawl, Larry. It's all about Honey. Thanks for the offer... I may really take you up on it... :::tearing up here::: Really, thanks.

Scott is taking me out on our weekly date to look at nanos TONIGHT. I'm thinking I'll take some favorite frags and Honey and move them to a new, smaller home, just as we are. Red Sea Max is looking good... nice size.

If you want a nano, I have an BioCube8. It's way easier to move and doesn't cause any issues. You can place a LMB in there, but a clown fish and one clown goby would be perfect. I'll even just trade you for a few items if you'd like instead of having any $$ cross between. Let me know.

Thanks... I think I want a bigger one, tho.

Edited by FishWife

oh man its good to see someone with so much dedication hope fully you will get the tank you want..... remeber that sps is harder to keep in a nano so you may want to start with your favorite softies and lps!

Welcome Back...:-)

1. What brands are best?

i had an aquapod 12g which i really enjoyed, currently have two 29g biocubes...i think both are good tanks.

2. What are the pros and cons?

Pros it is All-in-One, there are so many modifications you can do...nano-reef.com has a lot of ideas

Cons..some space limitations...learned this the first time...go with small frags to watch them grow

3. I had planned to go cold turkey out of the hobby, but this is killing me! Can I mount one now and still move it?

Yes...much easier then moving a big tank...:-)

4. Could a blenny live in a 24g biocube?

I have a canary blenny in one of my 29's so I say yes.

5. How well do these all-in-ones keep the parameters?

Agree, with the earlier statement..as long as you maintain your maintenance, parameters will be fine.

6. What corals could I have? Advice, pls, friends?

Depends on what lighting you go for...with just the stock lighting...some LPS, zoas, leathers

7. My goals would include keeping a couple of LPSs, a fish or two (I'd adore a Midas and ... something to keep it company... ideas?) and really that's about it.

I think you will enjoy your date...and come back with an idea of what you want. If you do find one that you really like I would check some forums to see if there are any for sale.

Good luck in your search.

Mike

I would look at how the all-in-one nanos work and then have NAGA build you one. That way you aren't limited to the sizes they offer and can design the filtration on the back to meet your needs (skimmer compartment, fuge, etc). You could also look at the rimless glass tanks and have NAGA build your filtration compartment for you.

As for the lights, go with the open top and use a MH fixture. these have the built in fans to get the heat away from the tank so you may not have to worry about a chiller.

Good luck.

GO FOR IT!

I always thought having a nano would not be very fulfilling or interesting, and only put my 16 together to have a home for a banished damsel. Well, now that I've had it up for many months I can easily say that I love this little tank and wish I had done it sooner.

from the research I have done on nano's, I would go with the new "red sea max" it's a bit on the expensive side, but is all included and there are tones of mods out there depending on what you want. It has a specific place to add a chiller, as well as a built in thermostat and heater. I've seen a mod for removing the skimmer, putting a better one in, as some people say it's lacking, and then using the left over space for a refugium. The list goes on, there are also mods for the lighting, etc. It would be easy to move, yet one of the largest "all in one nano's" out there at 35 gallons. With that size, you could keep a lot of things a normal sized nano wouldn't be able to hold.

for what its worth, I've read about quite a few people having their seems split on them with the Red Sea Max tanks. If you do go that route, I'd make sure to redo the seals for peace of mind.

Marcia & Scott,

So excited to hear you're downsizing and continuing to hang out with us Wamas folks, a nano sounds like a great idea! Nano's make me think of that ride at Disneyland with all the minaturized, but pristine and manicured mini-worlds, so gorgeous. I wish I could think of the name of it........

Anyhow, welcome back!

Maureen

Stay away from the Solana's alot of them starting leaking or crack. Im not a big all-in-one fan.I do have a NC6 right now that will be coming down soon.

Pros:

Smaller water changes

Easier to move around with

Cons:

More frequent water changes

Upgrades end up costing as much as a regular sized tank (60 gallons).

Check http://www.nanotuners.com, IMO, they have the best selection (with upgraded lights, and other mods).

You're thinking of "Storybook Land".

Marcia & Scott,

So excited to hear you're downsizing and continuing to hang out with us Wamas folks, a nano sounds like a great idea! Nano's make me think of that ride at Disneyland with all the minaturized, but pristine and manicured mini-worlds, so gorgeous. I wish I could think of the name of it........

Anyhow, welcome back!

Maureen

I have a BioCube 29 that I'm about a month away from having up for sale. Maintenance isn't tough, just have to stick with a light bioload. If you're interested we can talk about it some more, I can get you some pictures and we can figure out a price. LMK.

~Brian

I'm baby sitting a 10 gallon right now thats using an aquaclear 110 as a fuge, it's got corals, feather dusters, other inverts, emrald crab, skunk cleaner, a pair of onyx clowns, and a small lawn mower blenny. It's been at my hosue for 1.5 months now and doing great! Please do say in, I can help by providing you with acrylic mod parts

(edited)

OK; we did it. We need to cycle by Saturday, so we bought a Red Sea Max 24g on sale at Congressional Aquarium last night. (Sorry, Brian!) We loaded it up until 1 AM. :cheers:

I just want to say thanks. Your support has been overwhelming. I'll post pics soon. These all-in-ones are CUTE! :)

I'm so glad that I get to stay in the hobby. We have adjusted a few things on our sale list that we are taking off the market: mostly our Blenny (thanks Larry!) and our refractometer, which I don't believe was spoken for, and there will be a few less pieces of live rock to go around.

Edited by FishWife

(edited)

I know exactly what you are going through. I broke my tank down a couple of weeks ago with plans to do another one beginning of next year. Well, last night I went and picked up another tank/stand/canopy to begin setting up. Matter of fact I just returned from picking up a new plumbing kit for the built in overflow. This is an addiction. I have absolutely no plans to kick it either.

So with that I say to you "welcome back" in advance. :fish:

Oh edit: I see you already fell off the wagon. Congrats!

Edited by audible

I know exactly what you are going through. I broke my tank down a couple of weeks ago with plans to do another one beginning of next year. Well, last night I went and picked up another tank/stand/canopy to begin setting up. Matter of fact I just returned from picking up a new plumbing kit for the built in overflow. This is an addiction. I have absolutely no plans to kick it either.

So with that I say to you "welcome back" in advance. :fish:

Oh edit: I see you already fell off the wagon. Congrats!

LOL. Well, at least there's "therapy" here for people like us! :biggrin: