Help Tank leak 240 leaking out

jtro

(edited)

Does anyone in northern va area have some large rubbermaid tanks I could use my tanks leakin all over

thanks

Jim

Edited by jtro

sorry no but you can always run out to home depot and grab a brute 45 gallon trash can for cheap... I think there are a couple of people around WAMAS that has the large tubs not being used... hope things work out for you!

Does anyone in northern va area have some large rubbermaid tanks I could use my tanks leakin all over

give me a call 540 659 0930 celll 540 538 0935 or send me a pm heading out to get trsh cans

thanks

Jim

yeah - Have about a half-dozen rubbermaid bins - probably about 20-30 gallons each. and I was IN stafford just a few hours ago... 20-30 min drive, depending on where in Stafford

bob

Thanks for the offers I ended up getting two 100 gallon stock tanks a tractor supply.

Im still in shock not sure what im going to do next but all is safe for now

Thanks

Jim

Good to hear you have the situation under control. What caused the leak?

Thanks for the offers I ended up getting two 100 gallon stock tanks a tractor supply.

Im still in shock not sure what im going to do next but all is safe for now

Thanks

Jim

Leaking out the lower seam in front out the silicone not sure what to do now

Jim

Leaking out the lower seam in front out the silicone not sure what to do now

Jim

Replace the tank without even considering repairing it.

At that size, it's not worth the risk.

Check to see whether the tank is still under warranty from the manufacturer. For example, All-Glass Aquariums have a lifetime warranty on their large tanks (like yours).

Jon

thanks

Jim

Jim,

Send me a pm if you still need to borrow some large tubs, I'm off exit 133/RT 17.

Maureen

sorry to hear maybe some of the guys here that have experience with re sealing tanks can help you....i have a spare 100 gallon rubbermaid tub if you still need to borrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd use this opportunity to upgrade tanks :biggrin: I mean, look at what you just went through!! You deserve something nice don't you? Your tank is 6X2X2 right, or something along the lines of that. Look into those 3' deep tanks from Marineland. I think Scales can get them. Then you can have maybe have the tank poking out a little more from the wall, or not even. Either way, you get an extra foot of depth front to back. Imagine looking into your tank with all that extra room! You only live once, go for it!!!! (said my Jim's impulsive/mischievous side......James )

• 1 month later...
(edited)

I have repaired the tank. I did not have anything between the tank and stand not sure if that caused the problem but who knows. What do you use to set between the tank and the stand and where can I get it?

Styrofoam is what I was told to use. Who would have that size Styrofoam?

Thanks

Jim

Edited by jtro

I have repaired the tank. I did not have anything between the tank and stand not sure if that caused the problem but who knows. What do you use to set between the tank and the stand and where can I get it?

Styrofoam is what I was told to use. Who would have that size Styrofoam?

Thanks

Jim

Home depot has sheets of foam in the building materials section. That's what I put under mine.

bob

• 1 month later...

I am finally getting my 240 tank back together and need some advise on the sand I have about 4 five gallon buckets of sand should I just rense real well also would I get a ammonia spike with the sand also not sure how I am going to cycle the tank could I just make the water up and start letting circulate with the tubs I have set up any ideas

Thanks

Jim

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Well its up and running and most of everything is transferred I still need to add the sand but think everything is doing great.Thought I would post a few pics.

This is the before shot

DSC_0256.jpg

and the after shots took about 8 hours to get everything swapped over still have to place some of the corals from the frag tank

DSC_0275.jpgDSC_0276.jpg

Edited by jtro

Glass cages made the tank i bought used.I called them and they sent me some glass for the bottom of the tank and advised me how to repair it they where very helpful I let it sit for about a month then water tested for awhile.once I was confident it was holding I made new saltwater for it then started to run it with the stock tank I was using .Then when I had time to transfer everything over I did.

Yes i did find Styrofoam at homedepot.

They basically gave me 3-4" piece of glass to fit the whole front of the tank that I silicone in.