Sump won't slide into the stand

st9z

Hey All,

I am transfering all the stuff out of my 55 gallon into my 90 gallon and I ran into a major problem. My sump won't fit inside my stand unless I remove the center brace. From what I can tell the tank itself doesn't fit on the center brace at all. I can't decide if I should saw the whole center brace off or if i should saw only half of it enough to slide the sump in. My question is does anybody know if this would cause the integrity of the structure and it could collaspe one day with my fish and corals inside? ANy help is greatly appreciated!

DSC00235.jpg

DSC00236.jpg

I had to drop my sump in through the top of the stand before I filled my tank. That avoided the entire center brace issue.

(edited)

Can you post a shot of the stand from straight on sitting on the ground. From these pics, it looks as though even if the center were removed there wouldn't be support for a tank underneath.

Edited by CHUBAKAH

I had to drop my sump in through the top of the stand before I filled my tank. That avoided the entire center brace issue.

Yea I tried tilting it in and it still won't go in :*(

i had to use a 29g tank under my stand. i have a 90g tank too, but the stand is like 44'' on the inside. it HOLDS a 48'' tank. :(

Can you post a shot of the stand from straight on sitting on the ground. From these pics, it looks as though even if the center were removed there wouldn't be support for a tank underneath.

Sure here you go.

DSC00238.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

i had to use a 29g tank under my stand. i have a 90g tank too, but the stand is like 44'' on the inside. it HOLDS a 48'' tank. :(

yea i am trying to fit a 29G as well :( but its not clearing at all. How did u get urs in?

(edited)

use a hammer to knock out the panels on one side. I have the same stand for my 75g and i had to take off the side panels to get my sump in. It is just stapled on so you can screw them back in when you have the sump in. I added a little wood glue as well. A mallet would work better.

that was 3 years ago

or it looks like the center brace is stapled in as well. You can knock it out with a mallet, then replace and screw in.

Edited by rocko918

(edited)

Cant tell if this will work.... for my setup I had to slide the tank though one of the two (front) doors, pushing it out the back openning (either directly across or to one side) and then swing it in...

If that doesn't work, I suggest a smaller sump. You will want the flexibility of NOT having to take your stand apart if you need to remove/replace the sump. Let's us know what works

Edited by stevearlen

My sump is also a 29, and and had to wiggle it around a lot to get it in the top. Come to think of it, I did have to take the top center brace off then put it back after the sump was in (the horizontal brace, not the vertical). Forgot about that. Good to know I can knock out the side panels to get it back out if I have a problem - I've been worried knowing it wouldn't come back out without draining and removing the tank! Under my 90 I have exactly enough room for the 29 (granted it's a former wet/dry so maybe not the same dimensions as an AGA) and a 5g turned sideways for the topoff.

If you measured and the only thing holding you back from getting that sump in there is the top center brace, do like the poster above suggested and tap it out. I had to do the same for my tank. I just nailed it back in afterwards...

If you measured and the only thing holding you back from getting that sump in there is the top center brace, do like the poster above suggested and tap it out. I had to do the same for my tank. I just nailed it back in afterwards...

thats fine, but in the event that you would need to service that tank, how would it be removed?

I just saw out the center brace and left it like that. I hope to this doesn't screw me later (crosses finger). Any thoughts if it could? Never realize how a tank transfer could be sooo stressful!.

I just saw out the center brace and left it like that. I hope to this doesn't screw me later (crosses finger). Any thoughts if it could? Never realize how a tank transfer could be sooo stressful!.

yes, if that tank leaks and you need to get it out of the stand, the only way for you to get it out is the way that you get it in there.

yes, if that tank leaks and you need to get it out of the stand, the only way for you to get it out is the way that you get it in there.

this is why i knocked out the side panels and then screwed them back in. I can always take them off and slide the sump out.

I wouldn't have sawed it off. It's there to try and help stabilize the stand. It's very flimsy, but it does prevent the two panels that it's stapled into from leaning in. It's basically a spacer but one with a valuable purpose. I would add something back in. I'm not saying that it will fail, but it's there to keep the top of the stand in place. It comes out easily enough (I pulled one out before when I picked it up by the brace). It's similar to the brace on a tank with plastic trim. It's not necessarily going to make a difference in the integrity of your tank, but it could...

Niki,

I agree with Dave. You should not have sawed it off. I'd suggest going to home depot and getting something with the same measurements to replace it. If you read some of the dedicated tank forums, you would've noted some of the solutions that some people came up with.

1) Removed the center brace, then placed it back in

2) Cut out a hole on the side panel (typically a smaller sump like a 20L.

I couldn't fit a 30 (36" long) in mine, so I kept my 20L (30" Long). Sucked, but now I'm living with it. The extra volume would've been sweet though.

yes as others have voiced the AGA stand center brace is stapled into the stand, it can be tapped out, my recomendation is to use another block of wood to soften the hammer blows and ease the brace out,

DO NOT saw or totally remove it if you can, AGA will not fail your warrenty for the stand if you tap it out and back in, however without it the stand will not be strong enough to hold weight if pushed from the side strongly,

I have seen this with tanks at my store and its NOT a pretty sight.

I just knocked the front brace out - put my sump in, and nailed the brace back on when I had a stand like that.

WHICH is the reason when I built my own stand I made sure one end had a removable panel...

bob