Custom Aquarium Recommendations

Guest APBorisov

Guest APBorisov

I'm new to the area, hailing originally from Saint Louis, and in the process the moving company damaged my 75-gal reef-ready Oceanic aquarium with starphire glass front and they're agreeing to replace it. My problem is that Oceanic isn't making this size anymore and I have a nice teak stand that will obviously only fit this size.

I'm wanting to stay within the realm of "Oceanic Quality" (e.g. thickness of glass & quality) as well as a Starphire front, so I haven't really considered AGA, et cetera.

Are there any local custom aquarium manufacturers that you guys would recommend? Or are there other mainstream makers that produce aquariums that would meet these specs?

Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to becoming an active member of the group.

-Alex

I'm new to the area, hailing originally from Saint Louis, and in the process the moving company damaged my 75-gal reef-ready Oceanic aquarium with starphire glass front and they're agreeing to replace it. My problem is that Oceanic isn't making this size anymore and I have a nice teak stand that will obviously only fit this size.

I'm wanting to stay within the realm of "Oceanic Quality" (e.g. thickness of glass & quality) as well as a Starphire front, so I haven't really considered AGA, et cetera.

Are there any local custom aquarium manufacturers that you guys would recommend? Or are there other mainstream makers that produce aquariums that would meet these specs?

Thanks for the help and I'm looking forward to becoming an active member of the group.

-Alex

If you're interested in going to acrylic, NAGA can custom make anything you want. I'm not familiar with any local glass manufacturers but maybe some of the other guys are. I hear a lot of people getting glass tanks from glass cages, but that's certainly not "oceanic quality". If it were me, I'd get NAGA to build me an acrylic tank.

Guest APBorisov

If you're interested in going to acrylic, NAGA can custom make anything you want. I'm not familiar with any local glass manufacturers but maybe some of the other guys are. I hear a lot of people getting glass tanks from glass cages, but that's certainly not "oceanic quality". If it were me, I'd get NAGA to build me an acrylic tank.

I'm not a huge fan of acrylic only because I've seen what happens to it as it ages. Granted, I'm sure a lot of it is due to improper care as far as cleaning it, etc., but I would prefer to stick to glass. Are there any "nationally" based companies that do custom aquariums?

TIA.

I'm not a huge fan of acrylic only because I've seen what happens to it as it ages. Granted, I'm sure a lot of it is due to improper care as far as cleaning it, etc., but I would prefer to stick to glass. Are there any "nationally" based companies that do custom aquariums?

TIA.

I had just sent you a PM with NAGA's info.

Curious what you mean by "seen what happens as it ages"?

Mine is going on 10 years old and looks as good as it did the day I got it, less the couple of small scratches I put in it on moving some large rocks.

Personally, I wouldn't own a glass tank.

See the thread "Help" for one of the reasons.

:)

TIA.

Contentious topic :)

Personally, as someone who has had both glass and acrylic for over 10 years, I completely agree with you. I'd never go back to acrylic. Just cutting my coraline scraping time by 10x is worth it all by itself. Opinions vary!

Welcome to the club,

tim

glasscages.com is great from what I've seen, their customer service isn't always the greatest, but otherwise it's all good. If your looking locally, "The Marine Scene" www.marinescene.com has a custom aquarium building business too, I believe.

As far as what happens to acrylic as it ages--- it warps and this can eventually leed to stress fractures and then a tone of dead fishies, and a smelly, wet house. The reason I will never go back to acrylic though is that it scratches too easily, you have to be carefull what equipment you use with it as unless it's extra thick, it will not hold heavy equipment or can warp due to heat. I have a bad habit of scratching my current acrylic tank whenever I put my hand near it, I dont want to have to worry about that again. Just to stop my rambling ;):

1) costs more than it's worth-glass is better and cheaper

2) not worth taming my hands to keep them from scratching it, and

3) does not last as long as glass, will warp eventually

Guest APBorisov

Mine is going on 10 years old and looks as good as it did the day I got it, less the couple of small scratches I put in it on moving some large rocks.

I got your PM and sent NAGA one as well asking if he would be interested. I have a friend with an acrylic tank, and as others have stated above, it seems that unless your beyond uber careful, scratches come with the territory. Now, not to take this off topic, but I've seen great things done with acrylic as far as designs of displays.

I got your PM and sent NAGA one as well asking if he would be interested. I have a friend with an acrylic tank, and as others have stated above, it seems that unless your beyond uber careful, scratches come with the territory. Now, not to take this off topic, but I've seen great things done with acrylic as far as designs of displays.

I've been keeping fish close to 35 years, and in that time I have had maybe 10 glass tanks break open for no good reason. In that same amount of time I have never had a problem with an acrylic tank warping, or busting a seal. The piece of mind alone for me makes spending the extra cash worth it.

If a person is clumsy I wouldn't recommend acrylic, but in ten years I have put two small scratches in my 100.

They aren't for everyone, but they are the best looking.

:biggrin:

I have a custom glass tank maker, it will cost more than glass cages, and more than the original oceanic tank, maybe even double. If you are interested send me a PM with your dimensions and budget.

john

If you cant get a 75, how about a 90??

A standard Oceanic 90 fits on the same stand as a standard Oceanic 75

So I take you beat the rumor of Acrylic tanks and scratches. I thought of getting a 150 gallon acrylic but I was turned off when people talked of how easy it is to scratch. Well I guess the next project I do will envolve an acrylic tank.

Guest APBorisov

If you cant get a 75, how about a 90??

A standard Oceanic 90 fits on the same stand as a standard Oceanic 75

It's funny you should say that, because before I saw your post I logged onto Oceanic's corporate website and saw what you were talking about.

Question though: They list the dimensions as 48.5 " x 18.5" for length and depth, respectively. Is this JUST the glass, or are these the dimensions for its footprint (i.e. the very base of the display including the support bands)?

Concerning acrylic again, a LFS that I briefly worked at awhile back while I was in college had a very thick acrylic tank and it was GORGEOUS! I truly think, not that this should come to a surprise to anyone, that if you go high quality and thickness that they do out-perform glass; albeit with a cost premium. And, perhaps even contradicting what I said earlier, the LFS's acrylic display wasn't scratched in the least and it was 10+ years old.

Get Naga to make you a custom acrylic tank ofr you. He over builds his tanks so its always thicker than what is normally used. so no warping there 3/4 to 1" will not warp. I have had both and love the acrylic tanks. he has a shop in annapolis.

JMO Curtis

In my opinion stay away from glasscages. There are some that get tanks from them with no issues, but that is FAR outweighed by those with glasscages tanks that are crappy.

If you want custom glass, go with miraclesglass.com. Dan (dandy7200) and Yanek (emissary) both used them and were happy with the turnout. If you're going acrylic, there is only one choice.....NAGA.

Welcome to the club.

(edited)

I know this isn't an acrylic vs glass thread but... :biggrin:

I've owned acrylic and glass for more years than many members here were alive and the reason I prefer acrylic is because I'paranoid of busting a seam which has happened to me and I want my tanks to last a lifetime.

I've seen what happens to it as it ages. Granted, I'm sure a lot of it is due to improper care

No, all is due to improper care

I used to maintain aquariums and heard the same thing from a customer. Of course, he put the tank on a metal stand with 1" support along the edges and he proceeded to clean it with steel wool

it warps and this can eventually leed to stress fractures

What? Anything made improperly is trash. Make an acrylic tank with too thin acrylic or put it on a stand made for glass-only and sure, maybe it will warp. Make a glass tank too thin and watch what happens when your 5 year-old bumps his head on it!

Small glass tanks cost less than small acrylic tanks. Big glass tank cost more than big acrylic tanks.

Edited by Larry Grenier

Guest APBorisov

I wanted to give this thread a bump and see if anyone knew about the Oceanic dimensions that I mentioned earlier...

I wanted to give this thread a bump and see if anyone knew about the Oceanic dimensions that I mentioned earlier...

I'm sure you can find your answer here:

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/aquariums/

What is a 70gal "Tech" or "Ultimate". Both are showing the 70gal as different dimensions as the 90. Hopefully the link will help.

In my opinion stay away from glasscages. There are some that get tanks from them with no issues, but that is FAR outweighed by those with glasscages tanks that are crappy.

If you want custom glass, go with miraclesglass.com. Dan (dandy7200) and Yanek (emissary) both used them and were happy with the turnout. If you're going acrylic, there is only one choice.....NAGA.

Welcome to the club.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Leishman, 143gadgeets, Danskim, Bemmer, and many other members, including about a dozen CMAS members that I know of, all have never had any problems with glasscages. I have no doubt that their customer service leaves alot to be desired, but not every tank that they make ends up having problems. Other than emessary, who else in the club has had problems with them? Just like with anything, you're only going to here/read about only the bad outcomes, not the thousands of people who have had no problems at all.

I do agree with miriclesinglass though. I saw Dan's tank and it really is a piece of work. You definitely get a very nice tank, its just going to cost you quite a bit more.

I agree with James. There are many that have sweet tanks built by them and those are the stories u never hear. When i was waiting for mine to come off the truck, I saw many other tanks and i do agree that the silicone jobs can be a little sloppy, but it's nothing a razor blade won't fix. They did a fabulous job on mine and i wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Much cheaper than miracles, as they were twice the price of Glass Cages. Does my tank look like a Miracles tank....? NO, but i am very happy with it. I have seen Dan's tank as well and it is phenomenal.

BTW, the day someone comes by my house and tells me that the edges on my tank aren't polished and that it's a glass cages tank is the day i kick someone out. :) In fact I have never actually looked at someone seams and such to find flaws in a silicone job or whatever. I looked at Dans tank cause I knew it was miracles and I was looking at the quality of it compared to mine.

My latest FTS

CRL_7931b.jpg

I agree with James. There are many that have sweet tanks built by them and those are the stories u never hear. When i was waiting for mine to come off the truck, I saw many other tanks and i do agree that the silicone jobs can be a little sloppy, but it's nothing a razor blade won't fix. They did a fabulous job on mine and i wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Much cheaper than miracles, as they were twice the price of Glass Cages. Does my tank look like a Miracles tank....? NO, but i am very happy with it. I have seen Dan's tank as well and it is phenomenal.

BTW, the day someone comes by my house and tells me that the edges on my tank aren't polished and that it's a glass cages tank is the day i kick someone out. :) In fact I have never actually looked at someone seams and such to find flaws in a silicone job or whatever. I looked at Dans tank cause I knew it was miracles and I was looking at the quality of it compared to mine.

My latest FTS

CRL_7931b.jpg

Again, I never said all of their tanks were shoddy workmanship. But there are horror stories all over RC and a couple locally.

Chris - I'm glad they did a good job on your tank. Knowing my luck, if I rolled the dice with them I'd probably crap out.