shrimp babiesss!!

Lizzie

my pregnant peppermint shrimp accidently jumped in front of the wave maker and it blew half a belly full of hatchling off her!! so i turned off the wavemaker and filter for a little while and here are the little babies now (btw the last 2 pictures were under a magnifying glass):

shrimppp082.jpg

shrimppp076.jpg

shrimppp070.jpg

im excited b/c it was the first time i witnessed something like this :rollface:

now for a little question:

i feel bad if i just let them get sucked & blended by the filter

so should i try to keep them alive?

or will they just die off neways?

Very cool.

Love the middle picture.

Our baby shrimp are usually the "special of the day" on the lunch menu and consumed by tank critters...... sorry.

Maureen

Ive had the same.. along w/ Cleaner Shrimp babies too! One night I wa slooking and was amazed by all the little guys swimming around.

I researched a little thinking I could raise them, but almost every site says they are super hard to raise.

I researched a little thinking I could raise them, but almost every site says they are super hard to raise.

so im guessing i should just turn back on the filter and stuff then huh? wish i brought my 6line wrasse home from my internship aquarium today to have this tasty treat xD rather than let it go to waste in the filter. i have a feeling my banded coral shrimp's going to get fat =p

so im guessing i should just turn back on the filter and stuff then huh? wish i brought my 6line wrasse home from my internship aquarium today to have this tasty treat xD rather than let it go to waste in the filter. i have a feeling my banded coral shrimp's going to get fat =p

That is kind of the same conclusion I gathered. A nice treat for other fish and corals :)

Mine do the same thing all the time. I posted the exact same event when mine spawned in tank for the first time. It kind of takes your breath away!! COOL FOR YOU!

But yes, unfortunately they become the seafood special of the day rather quickly. :(

Nice, it's awesome to see reproduction in our little captive habitats... I'd watch that heater of yours they're iffy a lot of times if its the brand I think it is.

(edited)

Yea, I was looking at this guys large system once and noticed he had what looked like a fuge full of shrimp attached. It sole purpose was to supply micro fauna food to the display tank.

Edited by Larry Grenier

(edited)

I'd watch that heater of yours they're iffy a lot of times if its the brand I think it is.

Really? Thats funny because just yesterday i was a little worried about it since the water temperature got a bit too warm for my liking, but the setting on the heater was set pretty low. Im actually going out to buy some stuff for a new tank I'm planning on setting up. Any suggestions on good heater brands?

Edited by Lizzie

Really? Thats funny because just yesterday i was a little worried about it since the water temperature got a bit too warm for my liking, but the setting on the heater was set pretty low. Im actually going out to buy some stuff for a new tank I'm planning on setting up. Any suggestions on good heater brands?

Stealth heaters are really nice. They shut off automatically when theyre out of water, they're also made of plastic instead of glass so theyre a lot sturdier. I also like Pro Heats a lot, the temp adjustment dial along with the power indicator LED are both on the outlet as opposed to in the tank.

Stealth heaters are really nice. They shut off automatically when theyre out of water, they're also made of plastic instead of glass so theyre a lot sturdier. I also like Pro Heats a lot, the temp adjustment dial along with the power indicator LED are both on the outlet as opposed to in the tank.

Oooo thankyou thankyou ill look into those :) Just wondering, whats wrong with the brand i have? I think its Topfin or something...? Is it bad?

The cleaner shrimps spawn about once two weeks. They need two together to reproduce. I tried to raise the babies few years ago with no success. I can only keep the babies for 20 days max.