How YBeNormal helped saved my marriage

jnguyen4007

I was debating whether to post this here or in the dedicated tank forum, then decided since I'm not focusing on the tank but the stand, this is probably where this post should be. Anyway, as the title said, YBeNormal helped saved my marriage. Yes, that's right. The original home built stand was built to support a lot, and I mean a lot of weight. As Bob puts it, my old stand could support his truck with no problem. The problem with that stand was that it was so ugly that my wife refused to look at it. It finally came down to either I replace it with something a tad bit better, or I hit the curb and it goes with me as well. With Bob being the master craftsman, I asked his help. He came, he took one look at my homemade stand and agreed to help me out. He took the measurement of the tank, asked my wife how tall she wanted the stand to be, and the rest came straight out of his head. Bob was gracious enough to take me on as his apprentice in the hope that one day, I will learn enough from him that I can impress my wife with my newfound knowledge and maybe then she'll let me have a power tool or two. With that said, here are some of the photos....

Master woodscraftsman at work

Notice the intensity in his concentration????

Apprentice with a power tool. Oh yeah....

Hard at work...

Minor adjustments from the master

Final product

The inside of the stand

Even got my 2 year old seal of approval

My new stand in its new home

So there it is. The stand took us approximately 7 to 8 hours to complete over 2 days period and within budget as Bob said it would be. For those of you who got a chance to see WeaponX stand for his 180 gal tank that Bob built, you know how impressive that is. Though my tank is much smaller in scale, I can't help but be impressed with the quality of his work. The toughest critic is my wife and she loved it the moment I took it home. She loves it so much that she's actually proud to show it off to her friends and other family members.

Bob, thanks so much for your help.

Thanks James. I like large and challenging projects but I had almost forgotten how much fun a small project could be. You really need to post a 'before' picture though!

Thanks James. I like large and challenging projects but I had almost forgotten how much fun a small project could be. You really need to post a 'before' picture though!

I tried to find the picture of what my old beautiful (cough, cough, I mean ugly) stand looked like before but I couldn't. I think it might have been so ugly that even my computer took action and deleted it.

I'm even more excited to get my stand!!!

Looks awesome!

Chris,

Your tank will pretty much put everyone else's to shame once the Master is done with it. Any blemish you might uncovered, they are more than likely made by me and Bob just didn't catch it. It's a possibility but highly unlikely that it would ever happen. That man might be older than you and I, but he has eyes like a hawk for details.

(edited)

WOW!!! That is BEAUTIFUL!!! But get that can of soda off of the stand without a coaster! :lol2:

Bob, you have a dream workshop! Great setup!

(now, will you help me build a stand for a 360g predator tank? :biggrin: )

I have nothing but the utmost respect for folks who can work with wood and make something as beautiful as that.

Edited by tbittner

bob, that IS a sexy stand!!! :clap: now all he needs is a hood! just dont let his wife know that i said that. :lol2:

That was going to be the next thing I need Bob to help with.

Wow! Bob (YBeNormal)'s woodwork is amazing. Weaponx and James' stands are really impressive work. Can't wait to see Chris' stand

Chris,

Your tank will pretty much put everyone else's to shame once the Master is done with it.

Please stop... I'm really starting to get inpatient. I really wanna setup my tank now!!!! :biggrin:

Wow! Bob (YBeNormal)'s woodwork is amazing. Weaponx and James' stands are really impressive work. Can't wait to see Chris' stand

Me too!!!!! Only thing I need now is a piece of Miami Hurricane for my tank. :)

Too bad you can't set the tank up until 21 April even though I will have the stand finished sooner! :( It'll be well worth the wait though! :)

Closing my eyes. Didn't see any messages regarding the Miami Hurricane frag. FYI- the new piece came in yesterday lost 1/2 of its flesh this morning due to shipping. I am contacting the owner. We'll see how it goes. If it does not make it, I hope he gives me a break on a replacement piece. Just hoping he gives a discount on a replacement is good enough for me. It does cost an arm and a leg for just one eye. :)

Too bad you can't set the tank up until 21 April even though I will have the stand finished sooner! :( It'll be well worth the wait though! :)

:clap:

Closing my eyes. Didn't see any messages regarding the Miami Hurricane frag. FYI- the new piece came in yesterday lost 1/2 of its flesh this morning due to shipping. I am contacting the owner. We'll see how it goes. If it does not make it, I hope he gives me a break on a replacement piece. Just hoping he gives a discount on a replacement is good enough for me. It does cost an arm and a leg for just one eye. :)

Tell me about it. :)

Very nicely done, Bob! And in a single weekend! THAT's the part that I'm impressed with :-) Something like that would take me six months, 30 minutes at a time.

Very cool.

Matt

Bob, please add me to your waiting list for a stand. I need help with a big one, to put a 360g on. :)

Will do! Where and when are you going to set that bad boy up?

In the Dedicated tank forum, I have a thread about the 450g reef I'm setting up. I'm ALL the way to filling it with water now. The next project will be the predator tank and we want to bring it out into the room to form an L so we're trying to figure out a way to match up the stands.

Our predators are in a 150 tall right now and they are QUICKLY outgrowing it. We don't want to take them back to the LFS, so an upgrade is in order. :)

We're hoping that by fall, we'll have the 360 setup for the predators. :)

The trick will be to keep my wife away from the power tools. That tends to make more work for me. :lol2: