How YBeNormal helped saved my marriage

jnguyen4007

Nice work! Nice dust pick up system, too. Are the doors commercial purchases or did you do all the rail, stile, and panel work from scratch?

As James said, these doors were from Cabinet Doors and Hardware. They sell doors cheaper than I can even buy the materials to build them. I can and do build doors from scratch though when I need a custom size or design for a project.

(edited)

Thanks Bob & James. In doing my cabinetry, it's nice to know there's an option like that available. In building my stand, I did my doors myself not knowing that I had such an option. However, not having a 3/4" router to go with the matched panel, rail, and stile bits that I was looking at (I have two 1/2" routers, but neither would take the larger bits I was looking at and both were undersized for the job), I decided to use my biscuit joiner for the door joinery and to use a flat, rather than a shaped panel. I like the doors you chose, James. You've got a beautiful stand.

Edited by Origami2547

Both of my raised panel bit sets are 1/2" and I have used them in my 1-3/4HP and 2-1/4HP Porter Cable routers. Just have to make multiple passes and watch the feed rate. I will admit that the 3.75" panel bits are pretty scary though! :eek:

(edited)

Yeah, the panel bits I was most interested in were the bigger ones that came with a 3/4 inch shank. I considered the smaller ones with the 1/2 inch shank but decided that I'd forego the compromise. I also considered trying to get a larger collet to retrofit on one of the other two routers that I have. No luck. In the end, I just built the cabinet door frame using the smaller face-frame biscuits and shaped the inside and outside edges using a simple round-over bit. I came so close, though, to talking myself into a bigger router just so I could play with the rail and stile bits. May still do it someday - just to play, you know?

Edited by Origami2547