Thriving SPS BOX

Guest Robzid

Guest Robzid

To start just wanted to say i cant believe this tank hasn't been nominated TOTM Yet, so i took the liberty to do it.

Mike aka "OUsnakebyte" stop by my house in 2003 to get some frags for his tank from my old setup and he said he was impressed with my tank... 5 years later (4 out of the hobbie) im going to his apartment for some frags and let me tell you guys ... i was blown away by Mike's Aquarium it is a " piece of the reef " everything looks so healthy the gowth in his tank is absurd, the funny thing is that he is just dosing Turbo calcium... when i see all these tanks with all the gear and half of the accomplishment you know you have an excellent reefkeeper in front of you ...

thanks Mike

(sorry for the crappy photos got to get my camera from repair soon) ;)

DSCF3821.jpg

DSCF3823.jpg

DSCF3824.jpg

DSCF3825.jpg

DSCF3826.jpg

DSCF3827.jpg

DSCF3828.jpg

DSCF3829.jpg

DSCF3830.jpg

DSCF3833.jpg

DSCF3834.jpg

DSCF3835.jpg

DSCF3837.jpg

DSCF3839.jpg

DSCF3840.jpg

DSCF3842.jpg

DSCF3846.jpg

DSCF3809.jpg

This is a very nice SPS tank beside Copps and Leishman's tanks. We should nominate this as TOTM.

Guest Robzid

This is a very nice SPS tank beside Copps and Leishman's tanks. We should nominate this as TOTM.

JUST DID ;)

What a beautiful tank. Love all the blue and purples, esp. the blue carpet anem. Great job!

What kind of lights do you have on that? Any chance I can get a frag of the blue tort (or whatever it is that's one of the really bright blue SPS)?

i am especially fond of the carpet and with i could keep one. he has a very worthy tank indeed and if he wins totm i insist on going for the interview :biggrin:

Well thanks Robie. When I saw that 90 gallon tank well over 4 years ago, I knew I had something to strive for - after having successful surgery to wire my mouth shut after my jaw hit the floor...! And, it helps if you start with nice stock. The overwhelming majority of corals in my tank today began life as frags from that 90. This is a great example of what goes around can come back around in this hobby. After four years away, I can help someone who helped me in the beginning.

Wow! very nice.

When you say "only dosing Turbo Calcium" I'm a little confused; looks like a caclium reactor in the stand.

Yeah... I fess up... I've been dripping Kalk and manually stirring in Turbo Calcium for going on 5 years now. It's part fear of setting up a new toy and afraid I'll do something to wipe out everythig in the tank - but mostly laziness. The Kalk stirrer has been collecting dust for the better part of 3 years now and the calcium reactor has just a fine layer - about 3 months worth. :rollface:

I'm not gonna lie... I'm tired of swirling kalkwasser around in a jug. But, it's been working. I'll get around to it eventually.

Thanks again for posting the pics Robie. I really like that shot of the carpet!!! :clap:

What a beautiful tank. Love all the blue and purples, esp. the blue carpet anem. Great job!

What kind of lights do you have on that? Any chance I can get a frag of the blue tort (or whatever it is that's one of the really bright blue SPS)?

The blues and purples mostly come from Robie - thank him! :biggrin:

Lighting - 2 x 150 watt HQI w/ 10K XM bulbs. There are also 2 x 4' actinic VHOs and 2 x 4' actinic T5s. So, 4 actinic bulbs total. I've been considering switching to 2 x 250 watt HQIs, but... well... see the post above about me, equipment, and laziness... ;)

The tank is an Oceanic 120.

Re the tort - shoot me a PM.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

Mike... is never seeing frags offered by you for sale, trade, or SWAP part of that same 'laziness'?? I'm sure there are people here that would be glad to frag some corals for you :)

Tank looks great - colors are incredible!

bob

Hmm, I just noticed that.... Was the pump turned off?

Yup - pumps were off.

Great job. If this doesn't win TOTM within the next few month, then something's wrong. If you're down to trade some millis let me know.

James - shoot me a PM.

Mike... is never seeing frags offered by you for sale, trade, or SWAP part of that same 'laziness'?? I'm sure there are people here that would be glad to frag some corals for you :)

Tank looks great - colors are incredible!

bob

I use to offer them up at every meeting. Honestly, I never really had that many takers - maybe 4-5 trades or sales at each meeting. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why no one ever wants the blue and green formosa - largest colony in the tank - top left. But, it really is difficult to get a good pic of that coral to show off the true colors.

Then, about a year ago, I got hit with the monti nudibranch and said goodbye to three 10" monti cap colonies - orange, purple, green w/ purple rim and my hispida colony which was just a big. That's why you don't see any caps in those pics today. I managed to salvage the two danae colonies residing in front of the blue monster (carpet). Not wanting to share the wealth of the nudibranch, I held off on trades/sales for quite a while. I'm clean now, so just starting the propagating again.

But the real source of my laziness over the last two years really has been the nature of my work. Once just my hobby, corals are now my job. The last thing I want to do when I get home after a day of tank work is more tank work.

Fueling this is my addiction to diving. Diving is all-consuming in my thoughts these days, which means less time/money spent on hobby stuff. I'm heading to Grand Cayman at the end of this month, then Costa Rica in March, hopefully back to The Bahamas for an Underwater Methods class (via GMU) in May (though I fear this class is full), Puerto Rico and Secore in August for the Elkhorn spawn and conservation program (though work pays for this!), a trip in October hitting Cayman again, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel - WHEW! And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of my diving wants. Indonesia - Raja Ampat and Lembeh Strait (diversity's apex) are in the works, Thailand and Sipadan are calling - and I may not come back!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

Diving is all-consuming in my thoughts these days,

aint that the truth... *cough* indonesia

:P

Id def vote for this tank ;) its quite beautiful

what floor do you live on in your bbuilding? first? to have a tank or no?

Edited by toastiireefs

Awesome tank Mike. Truly worthy of a TOTM vote. Btw, let me know if you will be fragging that Blue-Green Formosa anytime soon :wink:

It's the one that needs trimming the most - it's invading its neighbors. I can bring to the meeting if you want - send me a PM.

what floor do you live on in your bbuilding? first? to have a tank or no?

4th floor - and in my lease it says, "No pets allowed, including but not limited to dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, fish..."

The RO unit leaked once - into the people on the floor below us. My stomach dropped when I got the call from the front desk saying that the maintenance people were coming to investigate a leak in my apartment. I've never sprung into action so fast... After determining that it wasn't the tank, I found the source (RO unit), disconnected it, hid it in the bedroom and blamed the water on the floor on spilled water while cleaning the bathroom... it worked, I guess...? I still have the tank and have not been evicted...

Edited by OUsnakebyte

Yup - pumps were off.

James - shoot me a PM.

I use to offer them up at every meeting. Honestly, I never really had that many takers - maybe 4-5 trades or sales at each meeting. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why no one ever wants the blue and green formosa - largest colony in the tank - top left. But, it really is difficult to get a good pic of that coral to show off the true colors.

Fueling this is my addiction to diving. Diving is all-consuming in my thoughts these days, which means less time/money spent on hobby stuff. I'm heading to Grand Cayman at the end of this month, then Costa Rica in March, hopefully back to The Bahamas for an Underwater Methods class (via GMU) in May (though I fear this class is full), Puerto Rico and Secore in August for the Elkhorn spawn and conservation program (though work pays for this!), a trip in October hitting Cayman again, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel - WHEW! And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of my diving wants. Indonesia - Raja Ampat and Lembeh Strait (diversity's apex) are in the works, Thailand and Sipadan are calling - and I may not come back!

Cheers

Mike

Understand completely - and I joined the hobby after you got hit by the bugs; that's why I haven't seen you posting frags. I was a scuba-diver once upon a time; during the times I've lived in the Philippines - there were stretches where I dove 7 days a week! Can be extremely addictive.

bob

It's the one that needs trimming the most - it's invading its neighbors. I can bring to the meeting if you want - send me a PM.

4th floor - and in my lease it says, "No pets allowed, including but not limited to dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, fish..."

The RO unit leaked once - into the people on the floor below us. My stomach dropped when I got the call from the front desk saying that the maintenance people were coming to investigate a leak in my apartment. I've never sprung into action so fast... After determining that it wasn't the tank, I found the source (RO unit), disconnected it, hid it in the bedroom and blamed the water on the floor on spilled water while cleaning the bathroom... it worked, I guess...? I still have the tank and have not been evicted...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

i had a hamster loose in my apartment once, when my grandma was coming into town....

but thats not nearly as bad as yours