too old for this?

Guest satellite62

Guest satellite62

Newbee and a new member here

Seeing the post for Wally's AQ reminded me that when I first got my VA driver's license at the age of 15, I would drive up to their original spot in Arlington (Parkington) and spend an hour buying a one dollar fish.

Took me this long to go SW.

Any guesses when that was?

welcome to the hobby and the family. wamas is a great environment for new folks. my guess is about 50 years ago to answer your question. would you like to share more about your setup

It has to be more older than 1991. That was the year, my parent purchased our first house in Annandale and I first going to Super Petz and Wally at its new and now location in Alexandria, not in Arlington.

Guest satellite62

welcome to the hobby and the family. wamas is a great environment for new folks. my guess is about 50 years ago to answer your question. would you like to share more about your setup

Sorry for the delayed response, my monitor blew out last night.

50 is just about right, I wish that I had found this site sooner, could have saved some grief and some bucks.

Currently I have made it through 5 weeks of cycle and all of the parameters have settled down,

75 g long reef display

260 watt Current orbit white and blue compacts. Planning to do easy softies.

500 gph pump return from sump

two alternating maxi jet 1200s with sure flow 1600gph conversions

100 lbs of LR

60 lbs of LS

30g sump/fuge with fission skimmer, 10lbs LR, 20 lbs LS and bunch of cheat

20 g quarentine tank

200 GPD ro/di unit ( wife thinks this is for drinking water)

contents: Which I sit and watch

12 cerits

2 Peppermints

2 Emerald Mithrax crabs

3 red footed (thorn Latrius) conch

10 Zebra Turbo snails

Guest satellite62

Question to help narrow it down.

Did you take it home in a plastic bag or were they still using those chinese food like containers?

Now that sounds familiar but I can't remember. Tanks were rimmed with chrome or nickle and the bottoms were a slab of slate. 10g was a handfull.

The year was 1960 and they tell me that it was the start of a great decade.

Now that sounds familiar but I can't remember. Tanks were rimmed with chrome or nickle and the bottoms were a slab of slate. 10g was a handfull.

The year was 1960 and they tell me that it was the start of a great decade.

Diffenately chineese food like container, because I was bringing them home that way in '68.

I may well have a slate tank in the attic.

Welcome

We had a slate-bottomed tank when I was a kid, too (back in the 60's). It had shiny trim and was 10G - pretty standard in those days. Dad had a freshwater tank stocked with swordtails and such from KMart. Like Chip recalls, they came home in a paper container, much like a chinese food carton, but with a fitted lid (if memory serves).

However, my first goldfish came home in a small spherical bowl - won at a fair when my ping pong ball landed in the container. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who remembers bringing a fish home like that.

welcome to wamas ! im going to say 1976 a decade before my time

Wow...that managed to make me feel old! :cry:

Oh and by the way...Welcome to WAMAS!

Edited by bprinehart

Newbee and a new member here

Seeing the post for Wally's AQ reminded me that when I first got my VA driver's license at the age of 15, I would drive up to their original spot in Arlington (Parkington) and spend an hour buying a one dollar fish.

Took me this long to go SW.

Any guesses when that was?

You had cars???

bob

hahaha

My first car spent a lot of time on the side of the road with a cop at the window.

Seemed like they all wanted my autograph, and I'll bet most of them got it.

Some several times!

hahaha

My first car spent a lot of time on the side of the road with a cop at the window.

Seemed like they all wanted my autograph, and I'll bet most of them got it.

Some several times!

hmmm...that experience seems familiar...

except it was "first, second, third, fourth, and fifth cars" :why: