RO Water in Fairfax

Finding Nemo

We just moved to Fairfax, VA near the corner of West Ox and Waples Mill road. I need to set up my tank. When I was at Safeway today, I notice that they do not sell RO water. Is there another store close to me that sells it?

FN

Just about any large grocery store will carry distilled water. Shopper, Giants, etc.... For about 69-79 cents/gallon. It's been a while since I purchased an RO/DI unit.

Wal-mart sells drinking water thats ro'd and i tested it @2 on the tds meter.....pretty goood if ya ask me.

safeways purified water gave a 15 on the tds meter.

Wal-mart sells drinking water thats ro'd and i tested it @2 on the tds meter.....pretty goood if ya ask me.

safeways purified water gave a 15 on the tds meter.

Thanks guys, I think I will try Walmart. It is really close to me.

Scott

Scott,

Now that you're a member, Bob is running a Group Buy for supplies from AWI (see Group Buy forum). If you wanted to get a unit to make RO water yourself, you might want to take a peek at the thread...

--Mike

If you are using more than a couple of gallons per week, an RO/DI unit will pay for itself within the first year. The RO or /DI more water you need--the more sense it makes to produce your own rather than buying it premade.

If you are using more than a couple of gallons per week, an RO/DI unit will pay for itself within the first year. The RO or /DI more water you need--the more sense it makes to produce your own rather than buying it premade.

When you make your own RODI water, you know what the quality of the water is that you're getting. When you buy from the store, you really have no way of knowing the water quality unless you perform TDS reading at the store before you take the water home. Otherwise, you have nothing but blind faith to go on from store employees.

I was in the same boat as you were when I first got into the hobby. I didn't want to have to spend $200 on an RODI unit considering how much I have to spend on other things before I could even get the hobby off the ground. So my plan was to buy water from local LFS until a certain member on this thread helped put things into perspective. I then saw how rapidly I'd end up spending on RODI water from LFS vs how much I would spend by buying an RODI unit and factor in the water bill. Since YBeNormal initiate a group buy for stuff from air water ice, I seriously recommend that you listen to other folks advice and invest in one. If your budget don't allow you to get a Typhoon III, then get a Typhoon V. It lacks some of the features as the Typhoon III, but it is still a good filtration system and you can always buy the additional items for it and add on later.

One more thing, if you need RODI water and can't wait till the group buy go through, let us know. There are enough of us here that together we most likely have more than enough RODI water in storage to give you to get your tank moving.

Most supermarkets I've looked at sell distilled water in gallon or larger containers, cheap.

I've often heard (and believe) that distilled water is better than R/O, and I used to use it when I did freshwater. I have tested a cheap brand in the past and gotten 0 TDS and 0 chlorine.

Just read the container, they should say something about "steam distilled".

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

my understanding is that distilled water should not be used in the aquarium, which is why i stopped doing it a long time ago

Most supermarkets I've looked at sell distilled water in gallon or larger containers, cheap.

I've often heard (and believe) that distilled water is better than R/O, and I used to use it when I did freshwater. I have tested a cheap brand in the past and gotten 0 TDS and 0 chlorine.

Just read the container, they should say something about "steam distilled".

tim

Thats true.....only thing i heard is that distilled is sometimes run thru copper pipes.....

that being said......i figured for .69 cents a gallon at wally world....and only having a minute @2 tds reading we could get this guy going in the hobby.......we all know maKING your own RO water is dandy.....i make mine with the simple tap water purifier......but then again i only have the two small tanks...not nothing fancy like most here......do i see myself buying a fancy unit anytime soon...no...maybe when i upgrade my tank size....yes.

We just moved to Fairfax, VA near the corner of West Ox and Waples Mill road. I need to set up my tank. When I was at Safeway today, I notice that they do not sell RO water. Is there another store close to me that sells it?

FN

try BRK or Wally's Aquarium both sells RO water @ a buck or so a gallon....

I think the stuff I read about distilled had to do with trace elements. I'll have to look that up again to keep myself from looking ignorant.

I go through about 30 gallons a week. Just to replace evaporation! I can't imagine hauling that stuff around in the car... the water may only be $1/gallon - but gas is $3/gallon.

bob

I go through about 30 gallons a week. Just to replace evaporation! I can't imagine hauling that stuff around in the car... the water may only be $1/gallon - but gas is $3/gallon.

bob

Right now I have a 28 gallon JBJ nano cube. Just fired it up today!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I estimate with out water changes you will go through about a gallon of water a week for evap. do about 1 galon water change a week, or 4 gallons at one time once a month on that puppy and you shoule be fine. I ran nano cubes at work and just kept one gallon of fresh water for topping off that owuld last a month on a 12 gallon nano. I would bring in a gallon of water change salt water once ever few weeks to a month. I kept 13 varietiesof soft corals, cleaner and pistol shrimps, a crabs, snails and gobies- No issue with maintaining water quality.

Godd luck.