Coldwater Reef

dshnarw

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would defenlty be hard to keep:) you'd need a chiller but on the plus side you could have catonlina gobies!

It would defenlty be hard to keep:) you'd need a chiller but on the plus side you could have catonlina gobies!

yeah, I'm working out the details on a 3g anemone pico with a friend in Oregon who's had one running for a while. I'm hoping I can DIY a chiller and save some money. I have enough leftover equipment and a 3g acrylic tank. I'd really like to find some strawberry anemones, but they seem to be next to impossible to find.

Oh my gosh, is it this guy?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

I bookmarked this thread over on RC because the tank is sooooo beautiful!

Tracy

I wish it were! My friend and I are just admirers of that particular tank, I daresay that tank and a coldwater tank at the Oklahoma Aquarium have been objects of my affection, admiration, and desire, and hopefully my nano-coldwater inspiration.

Well, good luck with it. Seems like getting livestock is the hardest part.

Keep us posted....

Tracy

Thanks. I usually end up wanting the difficult stuff to find, which is part of my hoping someone here had a coldwater setup. But at least I can go to Maine and collect some stuff, unlike with the mini carpets.

Coldwater is on my list of futures, but some of my former suppliers were bringing in specimens from South America. I'll drop them a note for an update.

btw...This thread is an interesting read and you might be able to score a specimen from Coral Sea Online if they still have the relationships in place.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...499#post8493499

You could get away with a couple of ice probes on a 3 gallon tank. They typically pop up here for fairly cheap. I bought one a few years back for $20-$25 and I know that others have gone for slightly more than that recently.

Coldwater is on my list of futures, but some of my former suppliers were bringing in specimens from South America. I'll drop them a note for an update.

btw...This thread is an interesting read and you might be able to score a specimen from Coral Sea Online if they still have the relationships in place.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...499#post8493499

Thanks!

some really nice nems in those threads! Nothing on the CSO website right now, but I'd guess it's similar to the Diver's Den on LA - about a one hour window of opportunity.

You could get away with a couple of ice probes on a 3 gallon tank. They typically pop up here for fairly cheap. I bought one a few years back for $20-$25 and I know that others have gone for slightly more than that recently.

That wouldn't be a bad option. I'll have to keep an eye out if my DIY attempt fails.

I'll have to keep an eye out if my DIY attempt fails.

Regarding the ice probe: IME they don't last for too long under full time duty, but a single on a 2.5g glass was able to keep temps below 70 with lighting, etc:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/14...i-Tank_shot.JPG

In my case, the coating cracked at about the 9month mark.

Regarding the ice probe: IME they don't last for too long under full time duty, but a single on a 2.5g glass was able to keep temps below 70 with lighting, etc:

Hmmmmm....not so good. DIY is starting to sound more and more like a better option.

my hope is that my future wife will like it enough to say "upgrade" around...August. (Married/honeymoon in June, she starts work up here in July...August it's time for new aquaria :))

The tank will be a 3g Tom Deco, since I already have it. I have 1.5" styro for the bottom, one side, and back (and can make pieces for the other side and front for when I'm not in my office). Lighting will just be the stock 18w fixture on the Deco, on for a few hours a day at most to keep temps down.

WHOA!!! Just had time to log in to RC and check out that pic...those are beautiful!! So yellow!

My heater failed on my nano the other night and the tank got to 60 does that count?

You keep your house at 60 degrees at night?? I'd freeze!

bob

strawberry anemones are sooooo cute, that would be awsome

we have a rock of them at the zoo in the Cold Pacific tank (cold reef tank) you can hardly see them though since they are so small and the tank is so big

I didn't realize there were so many awesome coldwater marine species. I was thinking it would be like coldwater freshwater.

(edited)

ok...so I went out to Roozen's and finally picked up the nem in the pic below. It's been there since the first time I went in (last August), and I've stared at it so much I couldn't take it anymore. I don't know the species, but I suspect it's a coldwater species. Jos?? said it was from a shipment that came in from Africa about a year ago, but it looks an awful lot like the ones in the RC thread traveller linked that came from Chile. Either way - it's done well in the tanks at Roozen's in even hot water, so I think it should be okay for a while in one of my tanks. If I can get some confirmation that it's a coldwater species, I may stick it in the nano once it's up and running. I think it's nonphotosynthetic, based on it's fairly good sting (not quite as sticky as my mini carpets, but more powerful) and color despite living in one of Roozen's sunlight-only tanks:

HPIM3563.jpg

Edited by dshnarw

It's funny. When I saw you post it over on your thread, I thought "wow, it looks a lot like that bright blue one in the coldwater thread!". LOL

Nice one!

Tracy

This is what really made me bookmark that thread, and the reason I'd love to set up a cold water tank. (plus, the beautiful colorful anemones and starfish). This has got to be the coolest looking fish I've ever seen!!

cold_ornate%20box.jpg

strawberry anemones are sooooo cute, that would be awsome

we have a rock of them at the zoo in the Cold Pacific tank (cold reef tank) you can hardly see them though since they are so small and the tank is so big

I LOVE strawberry anemones. I would almost give up my mini carpets for some of them!!

It's funny. When I saw you post it over on your thread, I thought "wow, it looks a lot like that bright blue one in the coldwater thread!". LOL

Nice one!

Tracy

This is what really made me bookmark that thread, and the reason I'd love to set up a cold water tank. (plus, the beautiful colorful anemones and starfish). This has got to be the coolest looking fish I've ever seen!!

cold_ornate%20box.jpg

LOL I thought so too. I've got all the NR anemone nuts searching around, and we're stuck at that coldwater species or a Hawaiian species (C. manni) which, by all reliable sources, is next to impossible to keep. Haven't found any African species like it

My fiancee is obsessed with boxfish. If we ever have the time and money to get a big coldwater tank, that fish is going in it! (And then I don't need a 400g monster like dandy has)