Coldwater Reef

dshnarw

ok...so I went out to Roozen's and finally picked up the nem in the pic below.
Appears to be a Red variant of Actinia equina. Distribution from the UK http://www.marlin.ac.uk/species/Actiniaequina.htm

to

South Africa http://www.anthozoa.com/Documents/South%20...s-Acuna2004.pdf

Lots of color variations.

Appears to be a Red variant of Actinia equina. Distribution from the UK http://www.marlin.ac.uk/species/Actiniaequina.htm

to

btw: A note on warm water feeding requirements:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...b7ad59ea746160b

Abstract

Polyps of Actinia equina are the most common sea anemones in the rocky intertidal zone of the Mediterranean coast of Israel, where they occur in one of the southernmost populations of this species in the northern hemisphere. We examined effects of feeding rate on polyp growth at ambient sea temperature for this population. Under laboratory conditions, polyps were left unfed, or were fed with brine shrimp (Artemia) once every 2 weeks, once a week, or twice a week. Of the four experimental treatments, only feeding twice a week resulted in polyp growth; under all other regimes, the sea anemones lost body mass. We conclude that a high rate of feeding is required at sea temperatures in the eastern Mediterranean, where these sea anemones may have high metabolic rates relative to more northern populations.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

to

btw: A note on warm water feeding requirements:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...b7ad59ea746160b

Abstract

Polyps of Actinia equina are the most common sea anemones in the rocky intertidal zone of the Mediterranean coast of Israel, where they occur in one of the southernmost populations of this species in the northern hemisphere. We examined effects of feeding rate on polyp growth at ambient sea temperature for this population. Under laboratory conditions, polyps were left unfed, or were fed with brine shrimp (Artemia) once every 2 weeks, once a week, or twice a week. Of the four experimental treatments, only feeding twice a week resulted in polyp growth; under all other regimes, the sea anemones lost body mass. We conclude that a high rate of feeding is required at sea temperatures in the eastern Mediterranean, where these sea anemones may have high metabolic rates relative to more northern populations.

Thanks for the ID. I have one more pic (below) that's a much better shot of the column for you to ponder, if you wish. Thanks for the feeding info - I'll make sure to feed it along with the mini carpets.

HPIM3592.jpg

Edit: Make that two pics. Lights went out, it opened up:

HPIM3599.jpg

Edited by dshnarw

Time to update!

COLDWATER REEF IS HAPPENING!!!!

I just got back from buying davidk's old 1/5hp CSL chiller, and WOWEE!!! I hooked it up in my bathtub to test it out. Less than an hour and a half later, and the water is down to 63, and still dropping :bb:

Thinking I'm gonna go for the 10g AGA since the chiller is performing so nicely.

Now...anyone know where to get some strawberry nems?

have you called the baltimore or dc aquariums? i hear that you can order some stuff when they order and go pick it up. but i dont know if they do it. let me know as this will likely be one of my later projects as well.

(edited)

have you called the baltimore or dc aquariums? i hear that you can order some stuff when they order and go pick it up. but i dont know if they do it. let me know as this will likely be one of my later projects as well.

REALLY?!?!?!? WOW...Gonna have to check that out in the morning!!

Bathtub is down to 55* and still going down!!!

Edit: Took some pics, set on 55* and holding steady:

HPIM3653.jpg

HPIM3655.jpg

Edited by dshnarw

When spring/summer get here (or maybe now, depending on how dry your house is), you'll probably want a fan blowing on the front of your tank, as you'll likely have condensation.

Cheers

Mike

When spring/summer get here (or maybe now, depending on how dry your house is), you'll probably want a fan blowing on the front of your tank, as you'll likely have condensation.

Cheers

Mike

agreed. steve weast talks about how he needed 1" acrylic on a tank to keep the "sweating down". get yourself a squeegee when you want to look at the tank if the material isnt very thick

agreed. steve weast talks about how he needed 1" acrylic on a tank to keep the "sweating down". get yourself a squeegee when you want to look at the tank if the material isnt very thick

I've got a couple of portable fans if it becomes necessary. I expect some condensation, and I can live with that for a coldwater system.

I don't think it'll be quite as bad as Weast proclaims, simply because his experience is without air conditioning (his website mentions room temps in the mid 80s to 90s when sweating happened on 1/2" acrylic), whereas my apartment is at a constant 72* year-round. Even with a glass tank, I think the temperature difference will be enough to prevent too much sweating.

This sounds really cool! You'll be able to keep many things that we put in our reefs that are not meant to be in our warmer tropical systems. Looking forward to when you get it working. Question, though, why not go bigger than 10 gallons? If you were able to run your bathtub (granted, it's probably metal and the heat transfer is greater than a glass aquarium) at such a low temperature, why not go with a 20 or 30 gallon tank? Also, what's the lighting demand on your inhabitants? I would think that it's signficantly less given the fact that these temperate waters don't get as much sunlight as tropical areas where the sun is always closer.

I've got a couple of portable fans if it becomes necessary. I expect some condensation, and I can live with that for a coldwater system.

I don't think it'll be quite as bad as Weast proclaims, simply because his experience is without air conditioning (his website mentions room temps in the mid 80s to 90s when sweating happened on 1/2" acrylic), whereas my apartment is at a constant 72* year-round. Even with a glass tank, I think the temperature difference will be enough to prevent too much sweating.

Keep us posted, as I am interested in this. Our large acrylic tanks here, ranging in size from 1" to 1.5", really sweat badly in the summer if there are no fans blowing directly on the tanks - and we keep the exhibit as close to 75 as possible. The worst are the octopus and cold pacific tanks, kept at 50. The nautilus and cuttlefish, kept in the mid to high 60s, can also be problematic, but less so - unless it is a really humid day. Of course, there are tons of people continually coming in, so I'm sure that fuels the problem.

This should be cool (HA! Seriously, no pun intended...). You could also look for some California, cold water mantis shrimps. Some are might sweet!

Good luck,

Mike

This sounds really cool! You'll be able to keep many things that we put in our reefs that are not meant to be in our warmer tropical systems. Looking forward to when you get it working. Question, though, why not go bigger than 10 gallons? If you were able to run your bathtub (granted, it's probably metal and the heat transfer is greater than a glass aquarium) at such a low temperature, why not go with a 20 or 30 gallon tank? Also, what's the lighting demand on your inhabitants? I would think that it's signficantly less given the fact that these temperate waters don't get as much sunlight as tropical areas where the sun is always closer.

Thanks.

The size of the tank was decided before the chiller - it was either a 3g or a 10g because I already had all the equipment, the tank, and enough insulation to cover the tank. I had also promised my fiancee it would be free except for the chiller, since I already have the biotope, a 12g frag tank, the 2.5 in the bathroom, and an office tank. :lol: Hopefully, after the wedding and subsequent move to a house, she'll see the need to go bigger (and acrylic).

The species it seems like I could get access to (and fit in the tank) are all non-photosynthetic. I know that there are a few anemones that require lighting, but not as intense as tropical systems, and with only one exception, they grow much too large for a 10g, and probably too large for a 30g that isn't a species tank. That said, I don't have a fixture over it right now. My floor lamp has a reading lamp attachment, which I've added a 6500K 18w CF bulb and turned over the tank for my viewing.

Keep us posted, as I am interested in this. Our large acrylic tanks here, ranging in size from 1" to 1.5", really sweat badly in the summer if there are no fans blowing directly on the tanks - and we keep the exhibit as close to 75 as possible. The worst are the octopus and cold pacific tanks, kept at 50. The nautilus and cuttlefish, kept in the mid to high 60s, can also be problematic, but less so - unless it is a really humid day. Of course, there are tons of people continually coming in, so I'm sure that fuels the problem.

This should be cool (HA! Seriously, no pun intended...). You could also look for some California, cold water mantis shrimps. Some are might sweet!

Good luck,

Mike

Wow...that's worse than I thought it would be. I'll definitely find a fan setup before it gets too warm outside. I'll have to check into the coldwater mantis shrimp...know of any good livestock sources? I've only found a couple places in the US that do cold/temperate livestock regularly other than the typical catalina goby/margarita snails. One does Pac NW, one does coastal Maine.

Seems to be the story of my reefing addiction...nearly impossible to find the livestock...

Have you considered going to another hobbyist to get what you are looking for? Search out aquarium clubs that are close to where your stock is from, ask them if they can get stuff for you. I remember when I had my seahorses and I was looking for some grass shrimp. Someone on Reef Central who lived near a North Carolina beach actually went there, harvested some for me, and sent them to me, free of any charge whatsoever! You'll find some great people out there if you look. For the coldwater reef, contact someone in Oregon, or even San Francisco or possibly Monterrey. You've got your own ability to go to Maine (I think you said that) and you can harvest a bunch of stuff there, too. I remember when I was in high school marine biology we went to a beach in Portsmouth, NH, and went through the tide pools. I caught an incredibly brightly colored fish or eel but it got out of my net. I'll bet you could pick up some really neat things to add to your system.

Have you considered going to another hobbyist to get what you are looking for? Search out aquarium clubs that are close to where your stock is from, ask them if they can get stuff for you. I remember when I had my seahorses and I was looking for some grass shrimp. Someone on Reef Central who lived near a North Carolina beach actually went there, harvested some for me, and sent them to me, free of any charge whatsoever! You'll find some great people out there if you look. For the coldwater reef, contact someone in Oregon, or even San Francisco or possibly Monterrey. You've got your own ability to go to Maine (I think you said that) and you can harvest a bunch of stuff there, too. I remember when I was in high school marine biology we went to a beach in Portsmouth, NH, and went through the tide pools. I caught an incredibly brightly colored fish or eel but it got out of my net. I'll bet you could pick up some really neat things to add to your system.

I've worked out a potential trade with a friend in Oregon with a local species coldwater tank as soon as he gets enough anemones to split, or the tides work in his favor. I haven't been able to find anyone with strawberry anemones (or none they'd give up) so far, which is the one thing I'd really like to have, but I'm still looking. I haven't contacted local clubs on the far side of the country yet - thanks for the idea.

Maine is definitely on the list of trips to make, as soon as it gets warm enough to camp on the island, and then I can work my way back down the coast a bit.

I'll have to check into the coldwater mantis shrimp...know of any good livestock sources? I've only found a couple places in the US that do cold/temperate livestock regularly other than the typical catalina goby/margarita snails. One does Pac NW, one does coastal Maine.

Seems to be the story of my reefing addiction...nearly impossible to find the livestock...

Unfortunately, no. Our coldwater suppliers only sell to public Aq's.

Unfortunately, no. Our coldwater suppliers only sell to public Aq's.

:( too bad. I don't suppose the aquarium would let me piggyback an order on one of theirs? (can't blame me for trying ;))

:( too bad. I don't suppose the aquarium would let me piggyback an order on one of theirs? (can't blame me for trying ;))

Ummm... yeah... I don't think my supervisor would go for that one - sorry...

In addition to running fans toward the front of the tank, maybe you should design a drip tray to go under the tank and funnel the condensation to a bucket or drain? That would catch the moisture dripping down the back and sides and reduce the chance of mildew forming.

In addition to running fans toward the front of the tank, maybe you should design a drip tray to go under the tank and funnel the condensation to a bucket or drain? That would catch the moisture dripping down the back and sides and reduce the chance of mildew forming.

Ahhh... good point. I forgot about that. We have a drip tray under the octo skimmer that leads to a bucket below.

Ironically, I was talking to my dad about the design last night to make sure I hadn't forgotten something, and he mentioned the same thing. I started working on a design a bit, but I haven't gotten far. (Luckily the temp is still at 70* so I have some time to work things out before it hits my target temp of 55*).

I found another one today!!! Was hiding at Exotic Aquatics in the invert system. Unfortunately, it's a very ugly color - like baby poop. But another nonetheless, and very cheap compared to the red ones. It didn't handle the transfer especially well because of the temp difference - still fairly ticked off, but getting better.

Here's a pic:

HPIM3787.jpg

HPIM3744.jpg