Coldwater Reef

dshnarw

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

needs a bump for informational purposes, in case someone else decides to do a cw tank:

around mid-december, i noticed diatoms beginning to cover the glass and rocks. lasted about a month, and now they're completely gone.

i'm interpreting it as the completion of a mini cycle related to moving the tank from the apartment to our house in early october and the subsequent upgrade from 10g to 40g at the same time.

so....mini cycle takes 3 months :wacko:

needs a bump for informational purposes, in case someone else decides to do a cw tank:

around mid-december, i noticed diatoms beginning to cover the glass and rocks. lasted about a month, and now they're completely gone.

i'm interpreting it as the completion of a mini cycle related to moving the tank from the apartment to our house in early october and the subsequent upgrade from 10g to 40g at the same time.

so....mini cycle takes 3 months :wacko:

Daniel,

I now have a much better appreciation for a CW tank after seeing the strawberry anemone in person, and those beautiful starfishes at Downtown Aquarium. Much better than RBTA, etc... They looks like a scattering dendrophyllia in pink, one poly by one polyp.

Is it possible that you start a thread where we can purchase easy to care for cw species beside the catalina goby?

And other basic things for a newbie to be aware of that might differ from our regular warm water reef tanks. feeding strawberry anemone pattern, etc...

Downtown Aquarium was feeding the large CW anemone with large size mysis shrimps.

Thanks,

Daniel,

I now have a much better appreciation for a CW tank after seeing the strawberry anemone in person, and those beautiful starfishes at Downtown Aquarium. Much better than RBTA, etc... They looks like a scattering dendrophyllia in pink, one poly by one polyp.

Is it possible that you start a thread where we can purchase easy to care for cw species beside the catalina goby?

And other basic things for a newbie to be aware of that might differ from our regular warm water reef tanks. feeding strawberry anemone pattern, etc...

Downtown Aquarium was feeding the large CW anemone with large size mysis shrimps.

Thanks,

glad to hear it! strawberry anemones are definitely one of the most beautiful sea creatures imo.

i think i can get a thread going on care and resources for coldwater aquaria soon.

A few old, and a few new inhabitants:

The usual strawberry shots:

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

Red Actinia equina, from Live Aquaria:

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

And the "kaleidoscope" Actinia equina, also from Live Aquaria:

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

and with flash to show off the column:

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Long overdue for an update...

One of the beadlets produced a baby - second time we've gotten that to happen:

dshnarw-42.jpg

Unfortunately, these guys came in a little late for TOTM, but they're being added to the tank Thursday:

lg-010510-277a.jpg

lg-111909-210a.jpg

lg-122409-270a.jpg

You bought them! Sneaky little devils..... :lol2:

:biggrin: Amber knew they were adding one today, so I sat here all day with the page on auto-refresh, waiting. Ordered within a minute of it showing up in Divers Den. :laugh:

Love those bright red anemones. They look like some I saw wild on the coast of Greece a short time ago?

If I lived out there I would of borrowed a few :)

gallery_696_7_24891.jpg

one and the same :)

did you see them in other colors as well - green/yellow?

The new nems are in the tank, looking good for 15 minutes in and a 20* temp swing in the last 2 hours.

While putting them in the tank, I also found another beadlet baby hanging out in the back. Even smaller than the other one.

one and the same :)

did you see them in other colors as well - green/yellow?

I only saw red, but didn't look that hard.

There were a lot of red. Here are a few more pics of the ones I saw...some living in a pile of garbage, some high and dry, one eating a giant fish.

It was hard to get good pics of them with all the surf faction.

gallery_696_7_256781.jpg

gallery_696_7_364680.jpg

gallery_696_7_16444.jpg

gallery_696_7_16191.jpg

Thanks for adding the pics!

It does seem they are VERY tolerant anemones. I was reading one paper that found them as high as 20m above the low tide mark, living underneath the sand.

Also, it looks like beadlets are on a twice yearly cycle for brooding. I should expect more babies from the red one around May.

It does seem they are VERY tolerant anemones. I was reading one paper that found them as high as 20m above the low tide mark, living underneath the sand.

That is crazy. I was really surprised just to see those high and dry ones in the pic. They were pretty far out of the water.

PS ever consider adding some trash to your tank to make it more natural? Just an idea!

PS ever consider adding some trash to your tank to make it more natural? Just an idea!

I'll leave the trash in the tank to Paul, I think ;)

In other news, we came to the realization that margarita snails, as poorly suited as they are to tropical tanks, should be fine here. So we bought about 20, hoping a few would make it through all the temperature changes. Seems like more made it than didn't, and they're GREAT cleaners. The rocks they've made it to so far haven't looked this clean since I first stuck them in the tank.

I have never had luck with margarita's (of course, I did some research and figured out why!) but I put some into the seahorse tank at school (~70-72 degrees) and they all survived.

Yeah, I always knew they were cooler water snails, I just didn't realize quite how far their natural range extended. 72ish seems to be a good maximum, but I didn't realize they extended up to the Bering...so 30s or less for a minimum. I have kicked myself since Saturday when we got them over not thinking about this sooner.

They weren't especially happy about the transition, naturally. I think they were at 80ish at the store, took about 2 hours to get them down to 58 since I couldn't find a better way to slowly drop the temp. Most of them looked dead for the first day before they got up and moving.

Really is too bad they can't make it in tropical - best eaters I've ever seen in the snail world.