Recommended heaters?

lanman

For my new 240-gallon tank. What kind, what size, and how many??

I have always heard EBO Jager - but I looked them up, and it states they are NOT fully submersible. Is that a good idea??

Thanks,

bob

I believe that you should have several (2 or more) smaller heaters instead having one big one for two reasons:

1. If one fails OFF the other(s) will continue to heat the tank to a sufficient level
  2. If one fails ON it is small enough that it won't cook the contents of your tank

For my new 240-gallon tank. What kind, what size, and how many??

I have always heard EBO Jager - but I looked them up, and it states they are NOT fully submersible. Is that a good idea??

Thanks,

bob

From the reading I've done, the design from the fully submersible to the current ebo jager heaters is exactly the same but for some reason they are no longer labeled submersible. Mine gets submersed from time to time and I've had no ill effects. There was some discussion on RC a while back you may want to look for.

My fully submersible heaters are something like this, but I'm not sure if this is the same brand or not

http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=701042%20100

From the reading I've done, the design from the fully submersible to the current ebo jager heaters is exactly the same but for some reason they are no longer labeled submersible. Mine gets submersed from time to time and I've had no ill effects. There was some discussion on RC a while back you may want to look for.

My fully submersible heaters are something like this, but I'm not sure if this is the same brand or not

http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=701042%20100

I spoke to a Marine Depot rep on this awhile back back when I bought my first Jager heater and thought it was a mistake when I saw the label that said it was not fully submersible. They said that in order for Eheim to meet US Utility compliance code, they had to say that it was not fully submersible. Eheim assured Marine Depot that they kept the Ebo Jager design and did not make any changes to a top quality line, and so therefore all Jager heaters produced under Eheim's name are fully submersible. I have a total of 6 Jager heater ranging from 150 W to 250 W and all of them are fully submersed with no problem.

James

Been using Jager for a very long time, usually submersed. After initial calibration, they have been bulletproof in my experience.

In a hobby with many crappy products, this is a standout.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Okay - so two EJ's, about 200 Watts each is probably good?

Somewhere local sell them? BRK or Marine Scene? Or should I just order them?

bob

Okay - so two EJ's, about 200 Watts each is probably good?

Somewhere local sell them? BRK or Marine Scene? Or should I just order them?

bob

I got mine (250W) from That Fish Place ($19) after I saw them for $40 at Wally's. I saw them at Marine Scene for $39 also.

I would use 2 250s or thereabouts in that tank. Maybe 3 150s.

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

I got mine (250W) from That Fish Place ($19) after I saw them for $40 at Wally's. I saw them at Marine Scene for $39 also.

I would use 2 250s or thereabouts in that tank. Maybe 3 150s.

tim

3 150's... NOW I know why I ordered that second DC-8...

bob

I use VisiTherm Stealth Heaters by marineland, I find them bulletproof, fool proof and they keep my tank stable, they automatically shut off during water changes, shatter proof, and almost indestructable, but they do cost a bit more.

I use VisiTherm Stealth Heaters by marineland, I find them bulletproof, fool proof and they keep my tank stable, they automatically shut off during water changes, shatter proof, and almost indestructable, but they do cost a bit more.

For anyone interested, these heaters are the same price as Jager (actually a few cents cheaper) at That fish Place (~$19.99 for 250W, ~$18.99 for 200W). The 250W stealth is also 2" shorter than the Jager.

tim

I also highly recommend the stealth heaters. I use five 200W for a 240g. They constantly get moved around since I'm always messing with my sump, and I'm sure if they were glass they would have broken by now. I have them plugged into an expansion oulet so all that current doesn't go through my controller (reefkeeper II).