• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Here are some updated pics taken with Rik's underwater camera.

Blue/purple polyp monti

P1010050.jpg

Top down right side

P1010052.jpg

Superman digi and others

P1010056.jpg

Top down left side

P1010058.jpg

Rik's red table, he gave me this as a 3" frag a little over a year ago

P1010059.jpg

• 1 month later...
(edited)

New pics. I was trying to take properly white balanced photos with only the actinics on. Reds came out well, but the FTS seems too green. Considering that the camera was dealing with nearly 100% 460nm dim light, I guess they came out ok. I had to turn the iso up to get a decent shutter speed due to the low light, hence some grainyness. I also was just holding the camera, no tripod so they aren't as sharp as I'd like.

Purple anemone (H. malu I believe?)

JMC_4125.jpg

Red yuma

JMC_4134.jpg

Monti setosa

JMC_4136.jpg

A different red monti that is redder than the setosa

JMC_4137.jpg

Orange floridas

JMC_4142.jpg

Monti garden

JMC_4143.jpg

My heniochus were nipping at the big clam, they put a hole in its mantle and tore up its intake siphon. Clam is recovering in a greenhouse tub.

PA280088.jpg

I have a pair of mandarins that seemed to be spawning. They would twirl around each other and swim up to the top and poke their heads out of the water like synchronized swimmers. They did this for about 45 minutes. Hard to catch them with the light so dim.

JMC_4055.jpg

FTS 10/28/09

JMC_4118.jpg

Comments and suggestions on what I should do with the back wall would be appreciated. Waiting for the little blip of sunset monti to cover the entire back might take a few decades.

Edited by ctenophore

Looking Good Man! It would be pretty sweet to see a back wall covered in sunset monti though. That pair of mandarins are so cool!

Looking Good Man! It would be pretty sweet to see a back wall covered in sunset monti though. That pair of mandarins are so cool!

Yeah it would be very trippy. I think it would make the tank look fake, an entire wall of neon orange and green. I may just try to do it, with some green/purple capricornis added for texture.

FTS 10/28/09

JMC_4118.jpg

Comments and suggestions on what I should do with the back wall would be appreciated. Waiting for the little blip of sunset monti to cover the entire back might take a few decades.

Justin, how do you secure things to the back wall of the tank? Without going back over it, I know that it's fiberglass on the back, but can't remember how thick it is and how easy it is to use something like a magnet to secure it to the back.

As far as what would look neat, I think a very natural looking wall would be cool. It would reduce the depth appearance that you currently kind of have, but I think that's reduced with the coral and growth on there anyway. Something with a mixture of sponges, gorgonians, tunicates, and maybe even toss in some bivalve life and turn it into a cliff face might be cool. Mix in some other encrusting corals and you'd have quite the display!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome tank,, Its is real nice to see a tank that is just not a wall of rock leaned up against the back,, very creative and well done