pe mysis vs regular mysis

jamal

what is the benefit of spending more for pe mysis? is it really better or just a different particle size

I've tried several mysis. My picky eaters (diamond goby and mandarin) won't go near any of it, but they both go crazy for PE mysis. I swear by the stuff. My mandarin comes out and aggressively competes with my sohal and other fish for it. It's pretty amusing.

Also, a year or 2 ago, at a WAMAS meeting, there was a seahorse expert talking about how he had done research on mysis and found that PE was the best (that's what got me started on it). He said that his seahorses also would not eat some other mysis.

If you can get the big packs (2lb for ~$30) it's not really that much. One of those bricks lasts me nearly a year, and every fish in my tank goes crazy for it. The smaller packs are more expensive. Exotic Aquatics used to carry the big packs, but now you have to buy them in 10 packs (which, BTW, took me about an hour to sell when I asked if anyone was interested).

tim

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

where can I get it in a small size just to try it out?

I've not seen PE mysis in any of the Rockville/Gaithersburg stores. Only place I know that has it is Exotic Aquatics north of Baltimore.

I have purchased it at BRK.

George

This food is incredible. Just about any fish will go nuts for it. The only thing is that you need to watch your skimmer. If you have a powerful skimmer it might over flow the collection cup. I need to turn my big skimmer off when I feed PE to my 280g.

George

Edited by geofloors

Forrest,

I am in on the GB, and I think the plan is to pick it up at the November meeting. I've already offered to split mine with someone, but if you bring a little baggie, I will be happy to break off a little chunk for you.

Tracy

I've not seen PE mysis in any of the Rockville/Gaithersburg stores. Only place I know that has it is Exotic Aquatics north of Baltimore.

Fins and Feathers also carries it now. BRK also has some as well as Exotic Aquatics. If you find any places closer to Gaithersburg, let me know. I work in Germantown.

Forrest,

I am in on the GB, and I think the plan is to pick it up at the November meeting. I've already offered to split mine with someone, but if you bring a little baggie, I will be happy to break off a little chunk for you.

Tracy

Thanks Tracy :)

I get mine from Tropical Lagoon.

They also carry it at SuperPetz in Annandale I believe

(best to call, even that is no guarantee, but I think I've seen it there)

tim

I have purchased it at BRK.

George

This food is incredible. Just about any fish will go nuts for it. The only thing is that you need to watch your skimmer. If you have a powerful skimmer it might over flow the collection cup. I need to turn my big skimmer off when I feed PE to my 280g.

George

What I do is thaw some into a plastic bag, then drain the liquid out of the bag (by squeezing the thawed food slightly.) I think this helps.

tim

Forrest,

Tracy

Note that the GB is a really big bag, so this should be easy. It's actually 2.5 pounds, not 2 pounds as previously reported.

tim

So you gonna make a group buy for this or what? A member tried to sell me a sheet of the stuff for $15 I didn't really think it was that good.

I would be interested in getting in on a group by as well. Or one of the Rockville Stores (Hint Hint) should start to carry it.

Has anyone checked Scales?

So you gonna make a group buy for this or what? A member tried to sell me a sheet of the stuff for $15 I didn't really think it was that good.

Theres already a group buy that has been made. To get a really good deal, you have to buy 2.5 pound packs in packs of 10 from Exotic Aquatics. With tax, that costs $314. (You'd get about 1 pound or a little more for $30 with the smaller packs) If someone started another GB, I'm sure they could get to 10 easily. Many people have said they are interested (dandy is in for 2, for example) You just need someone to do it. If you do do it, be sure to mention in it that it is different from the one I already did, so the folks in on that one don' t get confused.

tim

Who do we order from and I'll start the GB to be more active in the club.

Just call Exotic Aquatics 410-668-1200 and tell them you want 10 of the 2.5 pound PE mysis. Total should be $314. Someone will have to go pick it up (Baltimore area) when it shows up in a week or so. It's a nice LFS to check out while you are there. Then you'll probably end up storing most of it till the meeting in Nov. (that's when I'm gonna distribute most of mine)

Be prepared to pay with credit card on the phone.

FYI: the following members are interested, so you might want to PM them to make sure they see your GB thread:

dandy7200 (2)

NSC?

dschflier

davelin (2)

dhogan

reefhunter

It could be you might end up ordering 20. Might want to let the GB stand a week before you order to get all the stragglers.

It's also possible if you want 18, they might order 20 and sell you 18. (or some such).

tim

The thing that I don't like about PE is that it is freshwater shrimp. Maybe they supplement with HUFAs, I don't know.

In typical business practice, the PE mysis folks claim this is an advantage:

"This eliminates the possibility of parasite or disease transfer to marine fish."

I don't believe they supplement with anything. See fact sheet: HERE

tim

Jason,

I would be interested in at least 1 possibly 2. There website says there is a dealer in Silver Spring which may be an easier drive.

SS delaer

Can anyone tell me the size of the block in relation to what we buy in the stores individually. Example, the block is 10x the amount bought in the stores.

Jason,

I would be interested in at least 1 possibly 2. There website says there is a dealer in Silver Spring which may be an easier drive.

Note that not all dealers carry the big packs. I don't recall if I tried asking them.

Can anyone tell me the size of the block in relation to what we buy in the stores individually. Example, the block is 10x the amount bought in the stores.

The usual size you see in stores is 8 oz. That seems to cost around $14.

The block is 40oz (5x the size) and costs $30 before tax (about twice the price)

I think there is also a 4oz flat pack.

Here is an interesting link with pics talking about how ricordeas eat PE mysis and no other: LINK

tim

I'd gladly volunteer to do the pickup and get in on the GB. I live in Ferndale, which is almost halfway between the Rockville/DC area and Parkville, where EA is located.

Let me know

Brian