zotzer's 46G bowfront

zotzer

Connor,

They've been together for two years, and seem to be peas in a pod. Also, one is distinctly larger, so my best guess would be "yes".

Tracy

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New water tests. Had them done at LFS (Marine Scene) today, to see how my own tests are comparing. I have work to do on my interpretation skills.

Salinity 1.023

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 4 (he suggested a 30% WC, and I should be good to go)

Calcium 440

pH 8.3

alk 4.4

So, things are looking pretty good, although I do want to get that SG up a bit.

Tracy

Do a night test too, after your lights have been off for a few hours. See how things look

Thanks, Jason.

I'll do that tonight, or better yet, tomorrow morning. What parameters might I expect to be different after lights out? (I do run a light on the refugium when all the other lights are off I guess this is supposed to alleviate pH swings or something?)

Tracy

Thanks, Jason.

I'll do that tonight, or better yet, tomorrow morning. What parameters might I expect to be different after lights out? (I do run a light on the refugium when all the other lights are off I guess this is supposed to alleviate pH swings or something?)

Tracy

ph will be the main swing at night. having a refugium light that is run opposite will help a lot.

lookin great!

So, it's hard to keep from tinkering with this new thing in my family room. :)

I'd gone ahead and bought the CPR fuge light and acrylic stands to add to my HOB fuge. Problem is, even though I blacked out the aquarium-side wall of the fuge with aquarium backing, the way the fixture was elevated on the stands caused a lot of light to spill into the main tank.

Using more aquarium backing, I cut out areas to accomodate the fuge supports, and used double stick tape to attach it right to the side of the fixture. It works perfectly, and actually doesn't look too ghetto.

gallery_1752_1_15734.jpg

gallery_1752_1_249570.jpg

(this last one was taken with the flash, so that is why the tank looks light. It really does a nice job of blocking the light spillage)

gallery_1752_1_73084.jpg

Tracy

Lights (except refugium) have been off since mid-day (trying to cut down light and limit this diatom outbreak!).

Just did some tests:

Salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrite (clear from above, very lightest shade of pink from the side)... .1 or less

Nitrate 0

pH 8.0 (seemed like the closest color match)

alk 3.75

Didn't run the calcium, as I can't imagine it's gone off much in two days of nothing going in the tank. :)

All seems good, right?

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

Lights (except refugium) have been off since mid-day (trying to cut down light and limit this diatom outbreak!).

Just did some tests:

Salinity 1.025

Ammonia 0

Nitrite (clear from above, very lightest shade of pink from the side)... .1 or less

Nitrate 0

pH 8.0 (seemed like the closest color match)

alk 3.75

Didn't run the calcium, as I can't imagine it's gone off much in two days of nothing going in the tank. :)

All seems good, right?

Tracy

Looks pretty good to me! You said your lights have been off, and the pH swings up a little bit during your lights on period. So pretty close to perfect.

bob

Thanks guys!

The clownfish weren't looking so good yesterday, and in spite of keeping the QT pristine, siphoning off waste and doing 50% water changes every two days, I had a little bit of an ammonia spike in there. I used some Amquel, but they continued to act strangely (swimming on their sides up at the top of the tank, and on opposite sides of the tank from each other, breathing heavily...).

So, in a panic, I cut their QT short and into the main tank they went. I know....bad precedent, huh?

On closer inspection, I think that the mechanical filter media on the QT needed to be rinsed out, which I did with some tank water. It was really scungy. I'm going to stop and get multiple replacements today so that I can change them out frequently when I get a new fish.

They are much improved and ate like little pigs this morning. They have taken to a spot up in the top back corner of the tank, but I am hoping they'll explore a little once the lights come on.

I think from now on I may sacrifice a piece of live rock permanently to the QT, and if there are any parasites or treatment required with future residents, just toss it afterwards.

Thank goodness this happened when I was at home and could do something about it!!

T

I took a look at the pic of the QT tank you had up. Was there anything in there that had come from your display tank? Meaning was the sponge from your HOB filter placed in your display tank for a little while (couple of days) to help colonize it with benificial bacteria?

It seems you've found the problem and looked into a solution for the QT tank (adding a bit of LR).

Hope your clowns pull through... :biggrin:

:cheers:

--Mike

I took a look at the pic of the QT tank you had up. Was there anything in there that had come from your display tank? Meaning was the sponge from your HOB filter placed in your display tank for a little while (couple of days) to help colonize it with benificial bacteria?

Hi Mike,

Nothing came from the main tank, but I'd had the QT up and cycling for a couple of weeks. It has a biowheel, and I "fed" the tank fish flake once a day and added some bacteria supplements. The last week (before adding the fish), I had a chunk of LR in there too to help get the biofilter established.

All of the parameters were perfect before I put the fish in there. Not sure if the biofilter wasn't established sufficiently, or if it was a case of really gross filter media. Maybe a combination of the two.

Oh, and the clownfish look fantastic today....back to hanging out together and doing their cute little clownfish dance. They are totally adorable, and I was truly sick yesterday with worry, but all seems well now.

T

Edited by zotzer

if you ever put medication in a qt, you should take the LR out of it first. It's probably a good idea to have a different tank for qt that is strictly treatment, and a qt that is for just separating, acclimating, holding, etc. Hopefully you will never need to use one for medication.

I'm so excited....

Just got back from dinner with the parents and the clowns are out and about, swimming around in the tank (not just hiding up in the corner)

I definitely need to work on my feedings. It seems that most of the Formula One pellets sink to the bottom before the fish ever get to them. The frozen formula one seems to sink like a rock too. Shouldn't fish food float around the tank a bit? Guess I'll be experimenting with different types of food products.

I'm tempted to just go to the grocery store, buy a bunch of seafood and nori and make my own in the food processor. LOL

The kenya tree is closed up tight as a drum, which is unusual during lights-on. Better go do some water tests I guess.

Tracy

I need to buy a new calcium test. I quit when I hit like 50 drops and my sample *still* hadn't turned blue.

All other tests are clear...only changes from yesterday is that pH is back to 8.2 and alk today tested at 4. I imagine some differences on the alk tests can be attributed to droplet sizes and stuff. But this calcium test I have is for the birds!

Oh, and I tested for phosphates tonight too, just for grins. Zippy.

So, maybe the clowns were harassing the kenya tree when I was out or something. Have no clue why it isn't open.

Diatoms seem to be subsiding, but things still look a little grungy. Think I might take a toothbrush or something to the powerheads, because they look disgusting.

T

the calcium tests are difficult to me, distinguishing between purple and blue... how many drops one way or another is the accuracy when considering the entire population of people testing who all have different ideas of the subtle difference between purple and blue? To me, mine ends up seeming outrageously high when I don't add any calcium to my tank (not much to use it up).

My understanding is that phosphates will read zero as long as there's something in the tank eating up whatever stay amount there is; mine shows up as zero also, but who knows if it really is?

With the little pellet things, are they really small ones? if you very gently put just maybe 3 at a time, they will stay up long enough for the fish to get them, at least if the fish know you are putting them in the tank. Once the fish get to know the feeding routing, they will come up to you. The clowns may come up to you and eat from you hand if you hold a piece of frozen food. My clowns come after my hand any time it goes in the tank, food or no food.

Yeah, they are tiny...like the size of a poppy seed.

I was more careful this morning, and they are already coming up to me when I go to the tank. I'll see if I can't get them to take it out of my hand....that would be awesome! :)

Food is an amazing motivator, isn't it? :)

Tracy

With the little pellet things, are they really small ones? if you very gently put just maybe 3 at a time, they will stay up long enough for the fish to get them, at least if the fish know you are putting them in the tank. Once the fish get to know the feeding routing, they will come up to you. The clowns may come up to you and eat from you hand if you hold a piece of frozen food. My clowns come after my hand any time it goes in the tank, food or no food.

Yeah, they are tiny...like the size of a poppy seed.

I was more careful this morning, and they are already coming up to me when I go to the tank. I'll see if I can't get them to take it out of my hand....that would be awesome! :)

Food is an amazing motivator, isn't it? :)

Tracy

I think my son would do nearly anything for a pizza from Ledo Pizza

Guest NSC

Nice setup! Cool fish! When you feed them the frozen stuff, cut off a chunk to defrost in your tank water to soften it up and try turning off the powerheads during feeding that way they get used to the "water stopped...must be dinner time" routine.

Thanks for the tips! I got some mysis today, and they gobbled it up. It's fun to see the clowns finally taking advantage of the whole tank, rather than just one corner.

Finding all sorts of stuff...including what I am 99.9% sure are teeny tiny aiptasia anemones. Arghhhh. Guess I'll pick up a peppermint shrimp or two tomorrow and hope for the best. Of course, they are on my favorite rock...the little "oyster shell" rock that houses a purple xenia and the red christmas tree worm.

I've spotted several of what I think are spaghetti worms. All three are different colors...clear, reddish brown, and green. Wild teeny little things with long stringy tentacles. It's crazy watching them flail around to try to "grab" stuff.

Can you all tell that I have been spending lots of time staring at everything? LOL

The capnella is still closed up tight as a drum. I realized that I had repositioned the koralias the other day, so I just tried moving them again. I'm hoping that maybe there was too much flow on it or something and that it will open back up. The parameters and temp are perfect, so that's not the problem. It's not wilted or anything...just very contracted.

Tracy

Edited by zotzer