zotzer's 46G bowfront

zotzer

Looks great the blenny is neat, what kind is it?

Is it an algeavor?

Hi Jason,

He's an Orange Spot Blenny (or red spot blenny, or red rockskipper). Blenniella chrysospilos.

And yeah, he's supposed to be similar to a Lawnmower Blenny when it comes to algae-eating.

Problem is, one of my dogs was in the dining room this morning investigating something. I went to investigate, and it was Spot, who decided to go carpet surfing. (I didn't realize this was a problem with blennies). I was so bummed, and went to pick him up, only to be shocked that he was very much alive.

So, he is back in hiding in the QT (with the lid on it now) and hopefully he pulls through. :(

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came home early to check on Spot, the carpet-surfing blenny. He is still alive and well, and I saw him eat a few pieces of mysis that floated down his direction. He's just sitting on the bottom of the tank, but moving around, so we'll just wait and see. It took my ex-boyfriend's lawnmower several days before he became the tank comedian, so hopefully Spot will come around. :)

The capnella has opened up a bit, although it's still not in its full glory. Guess it could have been the flow, so we'll see what the next few days bring.

In the meantime, the teeny tiny aiptasias seem to have doubled in size. I'd get a pic, but they are still very very small. Hopefully, Patty1 and Patty2, my new peppermint shrimp, will handle those post haste. :) Let's all hope they have a taste for the stuff!!

Tracy

so you name all your tank occupants? I just sort of call mine what they are... yeah, I talk outloud to the things knowing they cant hear or understand. Of course I also call one of the cats cat and the ferret ferret... at least they hear and can understand a little of what I mean when I talk to them.

Yeah, I am a total dork. LOL But mostly, out loud, I tend to call them "little fishies".

T

Better than calling them nemos.... :hammer: .

I really like the look of that blenny, do you mind me asking the cost.

Not at all, Jason. He was like $40 at Marine Scene, which tends to be pricey. You can get them cheaper online, but by the time you pay for shipping, $40 is a bargain (unless you are in on a group buy, or buying lots of fish at once).

He's really cute. A bit set-back and traumatized by his adventure on the rug...but hopefully he'll be okay.

I'll get some more pics when he his acting more normal (knock wood!)

T

Guest NSC

Nice fish! The Marine Scene is awesome! I bought a Hydor Koralia 4 there today and it didn't work, no matter what I tried. The beautiful young lady at MS was able to get it going :clap: (even though I tried what she did to no avail :blush: ) MS is definitely the spot when BRK is closed. Sorry don't want to hijack just want everybody to know!

I've always found the people there to be really nice and helpful. They know I didn't get 99% of my set up there, but they still get plenty of my business for other things and are always pleasant.

Let's see..... today the two girls in the store were Melissa (blonde, and da boss) and a *very* young but nice, and knowledgeable girl with dark hair and tatoos (don't know her name). Trying to figue out who the beautiful, helpful one was. LOL

There's a really tall african-american guy who works there who is a total sweetheart. He wasn't there today though.

For me, it's really all about convenience. They are right on my way home from work, so if I need something, it's an easy stop (like today for the peppermint shrimp) :)

Oh, and they have a porcupine puffer in their display tank who is my little buddy. I swear, if I could squeeze him and give him a kiss, I would. It's fun to go in and see how much he's grown from week to week....he started out as just a little peanut, and is now a fat little dude.

Tracy

Edited by zotzer

Guest NSC

Honestly I was there three times today and everytime was assisted by a beautiful lady!!! Don't know the names however one young lady had glasses and was very helpful(alsovery nice looking lol) the next time I was assisted by a very assertive,quite knowledgeable cute lady(coulda been the boss you mentioned??) and to top it off, yes it was the tattooed "young lady" who much to my relief fixed my powerhead! :clap: As far as the tall guy...won't matter gender disqualified!

Guest NSC

That puffer is a monster! I thought he was frightened when I first saw him he was huge!!! You are very lucky to have a nice LFS on your way home. BRK is on my way home but only open towards the end of the week and me personally, I buy impulse. Take it easy everyone...equipment wise I mean. ;)

Thanks for the tips! I got some mysis today, and they gobbled it up. It's fun to see the clowns finally taking advantage of the whole tank, rather than just one corner.

Finding all sorts of stuff...including what I am 99.9% sure are teeny tiny aiptasia anemones. Arghhhh. Guess I'll pick up a peppermint shrimp or two tomorrow and hope for the best. Of course, they are on my favorite rock...the little "oyster shell" rock that houses a purple xenia and the red christmas tree worm.

I've spotted several of what I think are spaghetti worms. All three are different colors...clear, reddish brown, and green. Wild teeny little things with long stringy tentacles. It's crazy watching them flail around to try to "grab" stuff.

Can you all tell that I have been spending lots of time staring at everything? LOL

The capnella is still closed up tight as a drum. I realized that I had repositioned the koralias the other day, so I just tried moving them again. I'm hoping that maybe there was too much flow on it or something and that it will open back up. The parameters and temp are perfect, so that's not the problem. It's not wilted or anything...just very contracted.

Tracy

Capnella do that - they just close up for no apparent reason. Sometimes for days at a time. So do Green Star Polyps. Mine were closed up for a week once, with no apparent damage.

Nice choices of fish so far!

bob

Thanks, Bob!

The Kenya tree is back to its full glory....waving around nicely.

Spot is also back to his blennoid-self....perching up on his fins and darting from place to place, rather than lying on the bottom. He is definitely going to be one of my favorites. I am SOOOO glad that my first carpet-surfer surprisingly survived the ordeal without incident. Kudos to my awesome Briard, Slainte (pronounced slawn-cha), for sniffing him out and saving his life! :)

Look forward to meeting you tomorrow, and adding the WAMAS rock to the landscape....or I guess I should say "aquascape". Now I just have to haul myself to Silver Spring and get the red 'shroom rock from Dave! LOL

Tracy

Well, the first consequence of this new hobby is that I am going to have to get a new camera. :) The colors are looking so awesome with the actinics on (especially with Bob, Lanman's, new additions), but my camera won't pick them up no matter what I do.

Here's an updated FTS, actinics only, and I will try to get some better pictures once the daylights come on.

I was a good girl and did my weekly 5g water change this morning. 10% is a good number for a weekly water change, right? I've got this siphoning thing *down*. Not bad for an old chick. ROFL

On another positive note, I notice only two remaining micro-aiptasia. Even though I only see the peppermint Pattys at feeding time (they are soooo funny!), they seem to be munching on the tiny aiptasias during the dark of night. It's hysterical to watch them come out of their little caves, grab a pellet, and retreat!! I never thought I wanted to add crustaceans to the tank, but they are quite comical so I am glad I had to acquire them out of necessity.

Spot is also awesome. I put him in the main tank last night, and he is settled into a hole right behind the bali slimer that Bob gave me.

Now, for those who are bearing with me, I need help picking a wrasse. I was thinking a flasher or fairy wrasse, but I would like one that eats extra bugs and nasties in the tank, and I don't think they will do the trick. I was heavily leaning toward a Mystery Wrasse, but then I saw this on Liveaquaria.com: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...9&siteid=20 And this one: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemD...4&siteid=20 Then I guess I could always go with a standard-issue Six-Line Wrasse. What are your experiences? I'd prefer a non-jumper, so I don't have to go with a lid. Everyone I've spoken to who has a Mystery Wrasse said they haven't had a problem with them carpet-surfing.

Anyway...here's the updated FTS. I'll get some better shots later.

Tracy

gallery_1752_1_153867.jpg

Edited by zotzer

Okie dokie....lots of pics now that the daylights have come on. Sorry...I'm not the world's best photographer, and the microbubbles affect the pics more than I would have thought.

Full Tank Shot

gallery_1752_1_29358.jpg

WAMAS Rock!!!

gallery_1752_1_283031.jpg

gallery_1752_1_298855.jpg

gallery_1752_1_90611.jpg

Spot's Kingdom

gallery_1752_1_113723.jpg

Spire of Zoas

gallery_1752_1_202975.jpg

gallery_1752_1_269817.jpg

Okay, now I have to do something *else* around this house...like cleaning and laundry! LOL

Tracy

Well everything just looks quite happy in there! And I love Spot.

The slimer has polyp extension, the GSP is open, the mushrooms are open. Those zoa's can grow fairly fast; there was just ONE on that little rock about a month ago. No idea how it got there - I have those zoa's, but they are in a different tank. Oh, wait... I remember - I had a few in the frag tank for a while, then sold them. It must have 'floated' over to that rock.

Keep those fingers and toes crossed!

bob

Oh, and Bob, you can see the cup coral in a bunch of the pics too. Please ignore my less-than-masterful glue job. ROFL I think I am really going to love that one as it grows...it has a great citrus color.

Can't forget about Kismet and Mojo, as they seemed to have been avoiding the camera earlier:

gallery_1752_1_147757.jpg

Oh, and Bob, you can see the cup coral in a bunch of the pics too. Please ignore my less-than-masterful glue job. ROFL I think I am really going to love that one as it grows...it has a great citrus color.

Can't forget about Kismet and Mojo, as they seemed to have been avoiding the camera earlier:

gallery_1752_1_147757.jpg

Here's what the turbinaria (cup coral) looks like all growed up:

e8182176.jpg

It also catches little pieces of shrimp with its polyps - so feeding it something once in a while probably wouldn't hurt.

bob

Here's what the turbinaria (cup coral) looks like all growed up:

Cool!!!

BTW, the GSP have decided to take a nap for the past two days. :( Everything else is doing great though, and even the monti that I manhandled is all colored up again....no more white spots.

Just picked up the red mushroom rock from Dave. They aren't fully awake yet, but are glowing beautifully under the actinics. He has the coolest tank made out of an old TV, and that angelfish tank, as great as it looks in pics, is even 100% more impressive in person.

He was generous with the extras too. A fun twiggy coral (he'll have to remind me of the name) got some abuse on the way home (some branches broke off...and it came off the frag plug), but it fit really nicely in a hole in the rock. I need to learn to be more judicious with the glue though! A really cool neon-green mushroom also made its way home with me, and it already looks like it's trying to split in half from the abuse I gave it from trying to get it to settle at the bottom of a rock in a low flow area.

All of the fish are busy exploring their new landscape, and all seems well!

Tracy

wow your tank looks great its really come a long way.

Thanks, Connor!

Here is an update as of tonight, with the addition of the mushroom rock. They are a bit closed up, as I had my hand in there to reposition it...there was a little war going on once they opened up with a nearby fuzzy red pavona frag. LOL

I wish I had a better camera, as it is much brighter and more interesting in person. Pardon the green fuzz...it seems to like the smooth surfaces, like the power heads and fuge return. As you can see, one of my trochus snails has discovered the bounty, and is having a nice dinner!

gallery_1752_1_220221.jpg

Tracy

Looking good. All tanks are more impressive in person, thats why we have tank tours :biggrin:

Thanks Jason!

I got some more pics tonight, since the mushrooms are all open and HUGE!

red shrooms

gallery_1752_1_73354.jpg

kismet checking out the shrooms

gallery_1752_1_116654.jpg

right side (no flash)

gallery_1752_1_231721.jpg

right side (with flash...hard to get a clear pic without it, but it mucks up the colors)

gallery_1752_1_250752.jpg

GSP have been open the past two days. Guess they were just being fussy for a bit. :)

Tracy