gallery_621_232_355581.jpg

gallery_621_232_695152.jpg

gallery_621_232_232065.jpg

gallery_621_232_27618.jpg

gallery_621_232_877596.jpg

gallery_621_232_164565.jpg

gallery_621_232_85312.jpg

gallery_621_232_279471.jpg

so you will have to give an update on how you like it in a few months, after you've had some experience with maintaining it.

What advantgage are you seeking by going from sand to barebottom?

fab

I think certain fish prefer sand.

thanks for all the replies. The biggest benifit and the main reaon i did it was to turn up the flow. Everytime I would turn the flow up all the sand would get blown around all over everything. Fish dont seem to care about not having sand. One issue i have is space from the way I had to secure the rock formation and that the reason i am trying to sell off alot of stuff thats sitting on the bottom of the tank. It look 10x better in person. Right now the only down side is the rocks are shedding. It still a work in process. Still havent figured if i want to put in a 1 inch sand bed or not. I originally started out with a 4 inch DSB with silica sand and loved it at first and after awhile it got clumpy. With 4 inches of sand it also took away alot of room from the display. Ill keep everyone up to date.

condolences!

?????

Hi Chris

Looks good, you could try a large size crushed coral over the bottom, or the Starboard approach, i thought of doing the starboard myself, but at the time it seemed like too much hassle, and my Wrasses would never haven spoken to me again either.

:)

well my return is 1200gph and i have a tunze 6060 (approx 1500gpd) and a tunze 6045(approx 1200gph). Main prob is the tank is only 36" so it gets bounced off the glass and straight down to the sand bed. I have used Crushed coral in the past and its a nightmare for trapping fish waste and usually causes a nitrate problem.

Hi Chris

Looks good, you could try a large size crushed coral over the bottom, or the Starboard approach, i thought of doing the starboard myself, but at the time it seemed like too much hassle, and my Wrasses would never haven spoken to me again either.

:)

Sorry, but IMHO crushed coral is a BAD idea. The only reason my tank was almost bare until a week ago, is that I took the CC out due to the fact that it's a nitrate bed. While I still have a problem with nitrate, it was far worse when the CC was there. Larger bits of detritus get stuck in it and the cleanup critters can't get to it between the pieces of CC. I also believe that it's hard on cleanup critters and certain fish that like to burrow.

Chris,

I too am going to do BB for my 120. I got something similar to starboard and I think I may add some sand and just let the large amount of flow push it to where ever it settles.

Chris,

I too am going to do BB for my 120. I got something similar to starboard and I think I may add some sand and just let the large amount of flow push it to where ever it settles.

What is the diiference between arragonite and CC?

Crushed coral has actual pieces of coral/shells/etc.. Arragonite is just crushed coral, but it doesn't resemble coral (it looks like small gravel).

well my return is 1200gph and i have a tunze 6060 (approx 1500gpd) and a tunze 6045(approx 1200gph). Main prob is the tank is only 36" so it gets bounced off the glass and straight down to the sand bed. I have used Crushed coral in the past and its a nightmare for trapping fish waste and usually causes a nitrate problem.

I take it the tunze is 1500 gph, not gpd.

So you are trying to move 52 tank capacities per hour through your 36" long tank? Why would you want to do that?

fab

WHY NOT? Barebottom tanks need alot of flow to keep everything suspended in the water column and SPS like flow. Basically i want a very nutrient poor tank, flow, and space. This acheives it. Plus the silicia sand ist very good sand for our tanks. It got very clumpy, stuck togther and turned brownish on top.

Guest NSC

The tank does look much better in person. The pictures don't do it justice. Chris, tank looks great! BTW where did you get the eggcrate?

lowes in the the back of the store to the left (gainesville) It located where they have a bunch of tiles and diffuser for ceilings. Its not where the lights are. If you can find it ask where the diffusers are located

lowes in the the back of the store to the left (gainesville) It located where they have a bunch of tiles and diffuser for ceilings. Its not where the lights are. If you can find it ask where the diffusers are located

hey the tangs you got from me look happy! good to see it! are they still getting along?

how do your angels behave?

Edited by Charlie97L

Everyone loves each other. Kole is a skiddish however. Yellow tang loves to come up to the glass and get pictures taken as you can see!