Newbi here..

hey everyone I just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself.

My name is Josh and I have been keeping reefs for about 5 years now with a 120 gallon being my first. I now have a 15 gallon custom nano with a 20 gallon sump with fuge. The tank mainly has zoanthids in there for now but I really want to keep some hard corals in there later on. I'm a student at NOVA and George Mason University, I also work for SAIC in the IT security field, and a husband of 8 years to my wonderful wife. I am from Korea (military brat, claim the place you stayed the most years) and my wife is from Panama. I got into reef keeping because I go to Panama once a year for Vacation (own a condo there) and go scuba on the reefs off the coast (for those who didn't know Panama's coast line is in the Caribbeans) Seeing all the corals in my tank brings me back down to that peace place where beer is $.50 a bottle and the pace is very lazy. well in any case it's very nice to meet yall and I hope to see you at the next meeting! oh and I'm not very creative with user names and such so I just used my last name, besides most of my friends call me that because it used to be our favorite drink.

Cheers!

Yauger

Hi Yauger, and welcome. My name is Almon (it's my first name) and I'm sort of new the to club also. Everyone is very helpful, lots to learn, and plenty of trading.....it's been great. I look forward to seeing you around.

Welcome to the group. You'll find plenty of helpful advice here. If you ever plan on upgrading tanks or equipment, it would be wise to pay the $20 to join to be a full member and get access to the "for sale" and group buy sections. Best $20 I ever spent in the hobby.

WELCOME! :scuba:

This is it, you've arrived, you've found it. WAMAS is home to the some off the best reefers in the world :blush: . Yup I said it (Def not reffering to myself though) And will be an outstanding resource and community for you though out your time in the hobby.

Guest tgallo

welcome to the club Josh and when could i borrow your condo on the beach in panama, :cheers: .

thanks everyone! I'm sure that the $20 a year will be a good investment. I really hope to get to know everyone here so I can better my tank and maybe get some frags here and there! thanks again!

silly question.... how do I pay for the year membership? Also is there a buy, sale, trade fourm? thanks!

The $20 pays for itself...usually around the first visit to a store that offers a WAMAS discount :) On top of that you get access to the sales forums and members forums....finally welcome.

thanks guys I paid my $20 via paypal, I hope this should enable me to see more forums than I do now, especially the selling forum cause I need a skimmer. Happy Memorial Day!

HOOAH to all US Army soldiers out there!

welcome!! when you get a chance you should post some pics of your settup. i love to see quality nanos!!

shawn

:bb:

Welsome Yauger!

Been away from the boards over the w/e and will get you and others caught up today! Using my Blackberry won't allow me to paypal so will update you when I'm in front of my office PC!

Have fun!!

Howard.

yall are great, yeah I'll post some pics today, I'll get ye ol camera out and snap a couple for WAMAS, BTW when I do; I really would like some pointers cause this is my first "nano" and I don't think I've got everything down to a science just yet!

yauger

oh I'm happy I join WAMAS, yall are great! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

whats up Leishman? yeah I'm glad I met you and Gadgets last week at BRK you guys are hilarious. Whats going on with Gadgets anyways; he's selling his tanks off?

Does anyone know how to attach pictures to the thread as a post? I took some pics of my tank and wanted to show you.

:bluefish:

I uploaded some pictures in my gallery so please check them out, here are a couple of pictures I have on photobuckett.

sump2.jpg

side.jpg

DSCN0778.jpg

purplefirefish.jpg

Lookin' good Yauger! First thing I'd recommend is to ditch the swing-arm hydrometer and get a refractometer. It's not an absolute must but, IMHO and IME, they are much more accurate and easier to use.

How long have you had the tank set up?

(edited)

Lookin' good Yauger! First thing I'd recommend is to ditch the swing-arm hydrometer and get a refractometer. It's not an absolute must but, IMHO and IME, they are much more accurate and easier to use.

How long have you had the tank set up?

haha yeah tell me about it, I leave that hanging there to remind me not to waste money on crap... If you look in my gallery check out my other sump pictures you will see a refract in a blue case down there too! thanks though...

the tanks age is around 7 months now, its kinda hard keeping it clean but I manage to clean it real nice for pictures and visitors.

Edited by yauger

hey Josh, nice meeting you

So I just read in the DIY forum that you can spray paint PVC pipes and then use it in your aquarium. (If I misread that someone please let me know before I kill everything in my tank!) With this in mind I'm gonna redo my return so I can spray paint it black to match the back wall and so it's not as noticeable.

what do you think? :why:

JP I think I owe you a beer! no no no I don't think I KNOW cause you have had crazy patience with me and my Paint on PVC issue... lol

Cheers! Let me know when you want them!

=) No need man, just glad I could help. I hope to one day compare my $2 NYC cigars to your $0.50 Panama cigars though.

I really like the clean look you have going on your tank. I'd like to acheive the same thing with my T5 rigs.

How about some details on your return plumbing? Is the one valve for speedy water changes?

=) No need man, just glad I could help. I hope to one day compare my $2 NYC cigars to your $0.50 Panama cigars though.

I really like the clean look you have going on your tank. I'd like to acheive the same thing with my T5 rigs.

How about some details on your return plumbing? Is the one valve for speedy water changes?

Yup, I'm kinda lazy when it comes to water changes and all so I plumed in a 3/4 hose barb so whenever I do my weekly water changes all I have to do is connect the hose and run it to the sink. I just modified the drain plumbing to accommodate the euro-reef skimmer I'm getting in the mail today. so I'll post new pics when I get things installed.

the only issue I have right now is that I'm supposed to be on my way to Solomons Islands... oh well I guess a couple hours late isn't so bad.

cheers!

BTW I got you on those beers probably in July I will host a tank tour/BBQ served with a large cooler of beers!