Not a fan of softies

Leishman

Trust me, it got worse than it looked in the bag before it started getting better.

Are there visiting hours? :)

bob

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update on the frags??

update on the frags??

Mine has most of the color back but it's not as dark as before. Looks like it's going to take some time. It is probably going to be a month or 2 before it is ready for fragging. By then I should be able to frag a 1" piece off of it.

Mine has most of the color back but it's not as dark as before. Looks like it's going to take some time. It is probably going to be a month or 2 before it is ready for fragging. By then I should be able to frag a 1" piece off of it.

I think the 'darkness' of the blue isn't as important as the 'sparklies' in the stems. At least that's the idea I've gotten from searching for pictures on the web.

Speaking of xenia - my pink pulsing xenia has been a perfect tenant, until I stuck him back in a corner for a couple of days while arranging my tank. Now he's stuck to the glass in about 4 places....I'm going to have to scrape him out of the corner.

bob

Any updates? Any more photos? How long is the frag list? How is the baby frag doing? After 5 pages of reading does this have potential to be as long as Bemmer tank thread?!? Did anyone go for another group buy?

The piece that broke off didn't make it but the mama frag is doing well. As mentioned above, I'm not sure if it is ever going to get all of it's color back but it is looking healthy. I'll try to get some pics this weekend but I have it in a low flow area so it's not a straight shot.

Speaking of xenia - my pink pulsing xenia has been a perfect tenant, until I stuck him back in a corner for a couple of days while arranging my tank. Now he's stuck to the glass in about 4 places....I'm going to have to scrape him out of the corner.

bob

Why not just leave it? Is it on the back wall?

Why not just leave it? Is it on the back wall?

Yeah - back corner; and I am placing corals now, and it doesn't look like anything is going to need to go there, so I may just let it propagate up the back of the tank. Easy fragging! I WAS going to put it a little further forward where it's easy to see. But I suppose once it's grown up the glass a ways, it will be plenty easy to see.

bob

All of the xenia I've had has a habit of climbing up vertical surfaces. It does well until it reaches the water line then needs to be cultivated.

trying to keep this thread fresh and see how my coral is doing any new pictures?

Well, I'm going to have to call Eric at Fragfarmer.com back. The Blue Xenia never really got it's blue or orange back........it only has a little bit of a light purple tint. It's alive and looks to be thriving but still no color. It should be big enough to frag off a piece in another couple of weeks. Hopefully Eve's frag is doing a little bit better. Eve???

yeah for what we paid I expect a healthy frag, i'm sure he'll understand

Well, I'm going to have to call Eric at Fragfarmer.com back. The Blue Xenia never really got it's blue or orange back........it only has a little bit of a light purple tint. It's alive and looks to be thriving but still no color. It should be big enough to frag off a piece in another couple of weeks. Hopefully Eve's frag is doing a little bit better. Eve???

Hi All,

The frag is doing fine. I just moved another rock next to it hoping it will encrust to the other rock as it grows.

I'm not on the boards much and I don't see that changing anytime soon :-( I'm starting to get a little uncomortable having this frag and not keeping up with the thread. What should we do - should it be split with someone soon?

(edited)

Eve,

I wouldn't worry about it. However, looking at mine I think I could cut a 1" frag off of it no problem. I'd also like to see how it does under other lighting.

Ok, so who wants to try the first frag??

Edited by steveoutlaw

Eve,

I wouldn't worry about it. However, looking at mine I think I could cut a 1" frag off of it no problem. I'd also like to see how it does under other lighting.

Ok, so who wants to try the first frag??

How much flow do they like? I think I have mine set up pretty well now - it's moderate to heavy, but random flow right here where my xenia is:

e9495645.jpg

But don't you want to actually grow it onto a piece of rock or frag disk or something, like Eve is trying to do? I'd have to put a loose piece in a bucket and get it stuck to something :) I've been doing well with loose mushrooms that way, and my clove polyps.

bob

bob,

We can just cut the frag and rubberband it to a piece of rubble to keep it stationary.

It seems to like low flow. I have mine in between 2 rocks.

Let me know, you have first dibs.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

bob,

We can just cut the frag and rubberband it to a piece of rubble to keep it stationary.

It seems to like low flow. I have mine in between 2 rocks.

Let me know, you have first dibs.

Steve

Today I picked up a 1" frag of the 'blue' xenia from Steve. It's kind of a pale, pinkish-blue. Almost white. But if you look closely, you can see the iridescent spots in the branches. It is growing very nicely in Steve's tank - but hasn't colored up much, if at all. I've put the poor little frag in a cup of rubble, with bridal veil over it. i'm hoping it will puff up, extend its polyps, and grab hold of a piece of rock - 'cause it sure looks pitiful now. Then, hopefully I can get it to 'color up' under my T-5's.

How is the other original frag doing, Eve??

bob

Okay - my frag of a frag is doing fine. Little fists in the air, seems to be attaching itself to some of the rubble. Couple more days, and I'll pull it out of the bucket. Seems to be connecting to at least two pieces of rock, so I'll probably have a frag of my frag before it gets very big.

It does seem to be coloring up a little under my T5's - should know in a week or so.

bob

So is the pieces Blue? Purple? White?

I understand the Sparkle part!

Fresh pics please?

(edited)

So is the pieces Blue? Purple? White?

I understand the Sparkle part!

Fresh pics please?

You know I wouldn't disappoint. I've been waiting for it to at least clear the top of the rubble; otherwise you'd see almost nothing. This evening, I'm planning to shoot a pic or two.

Edit: But I can tell you it's already more blue then it was in Steve's tank. More light, Stevie, more light!

bob

Edited by lanman

Edit: But I can tell you it's already more blue then it was in Steve's tank. More light, Stevie, more light!

bob

Bob - I've got it in the midst of my light. I have 250w MH, 2x39w T5s and 2x39w VHOs. That's a lot of light for a 92g corner!!

Okay - here are some pics of the baby frag. This one is with tank lights on, and the camera on 'aquarium' setting. The picture is bluer than the coral is so far. Note the WHITE background is actually blue. I can't seem to get the white balance quite right.

e9145eb6.jpg

And here is with flash. Probably a truer color, but still not what it actually looks like in the tank.

e9145ebf.jpg

The actual color right now to the naked eye is pink with blue tinting. Maybe I can borrow my daughter's camera and get a more accurate color.

bob