Not a fan of softies

Leishman

Last I wrote in the thread I put a piece of rock next to the frag so it could encrust but instead of incrusting, it decided to lay down the longest branch across the top of the frag rock!!

I'm going to cut the attached branch all the way back to the stalk and I'm going to move my piece up higher in the light to see if it improves the color.

bluexeniajpg.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I wrote in the thread I put a piece of rock next to the frag so it could encrust but instead of incrusting, it decided to lay down the longest branch across the top of the frag rock!!

I'm going to cut the attached branch all the way back to the stalk and I'm going to move my piece up higher in the light to see if it improves the color.

bluexeniajpg.jpg

Dang! That's what my little frag is doing - just crawling across all the rocks in the cup. Whack off that arm, and I'll bet it starts growing UP. That's what I intend to do after it gets onto one more of the little rocks in the cup. Interesting growth habit. And your colony is looking very nice - and bluer than Steve's/mine; although mine gets bluer all the time.

What is it basking under as far as flow and light?

bob

"Whack off that arm, and I'll bet it starts growing UP."

That's what happened - accidentally. I used tongs to lift both rocks out at the same time - then I was going to cut it - but when I got the rocks out the frag was already separated!

"What is it basking under as far as flow and light?"

I moved both pieces up to the top (31" tall tank/VHOs w/lots of actinic). They both get good flow but the major flow is from a sea swirl so it comes and goes - not steady.

As of tonight - they both seem happier up higher in the light and the color shows better.

bluexeniajpg.jpg

Eve - what is that cactus-looking thing on the right side of the picture??

bob

are there any pics from other ppls? i have been stocking this thred haha and have read the entire thing and im interested how things are turing out

Am I still the only one of the original group purchasers (other than Steve and Eve) who has gotten a frag of these??

Here is mine as of today:

e8d07bda.jpg

Close-up, showing the blue highlights in the base:

e8d07bd0.jpg

bob

hey when do u think the coral will be ready to be fragged for other people because i would like a piece of it when it is

hey when do u think the coral will be ready to be fragged for other people because i would like a piece of it when it is

Steve and Eve have the original two frags. I think I'd be able to sell some small frags of mine in about a month - but want to make sure everyone that paid in has their frags, first. It was kind of part of the deal that we would make sure all 6 got pieces; even if one of the two frags didn't grow. I'm hoping to see that it's been split into several different tanks real soon. Just in case. Xenia's can be so strange - and just up and die for no apparent reason.

bob

I just got my frag but it is VERY tiny and i'm not sure if it is going to make it yet. It seems to be doing ok so far I will know better in about a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone gotten a frag from Eve? Is it BLUE? I'm dying to compare Eve's and Steve's. I put up a piece of mine for auction last night - but it's still nowhere near what the original photo looked like. Eve's photos show the xenia as 'darker'; so I'm guessing hers might have retained its color better. I'm in the process of trying to put my little frags in different locations in my tanks - less light, more light, higher flow, lower flow, etc. Patiently waiting for blue.

bob

Eve - what is that cactus-looking thing on the right side of the picture??

bob

Cabbage leather?

You got it :-)

Unfortunately I don't think that mine is going to make it. I cut a frag for Bob (lanman) and after that mine started losing what little color it had. Now it actually looks like it's shrinking. I'll post a pic when the lights come on, but it doesn't look good.

bob - I hope yours is thriving.

Unfortunately I don't think that mine is going to make it. I cut a frag for Bob (lanman) and after that mine started losing what little color it had. Now it actually looks like it's shrinking. I'll post a pic when the lights come on, but it doesn't look good.

bob - I hope yours is thriving.

Yeah - so far it's fine... of course, I haven't let any of the pieces get very big. One should make it into my 58 today, where it can grow without my scissors nearby. Let me know when you want a frag.

I'm hoping that Eve will show up and tell us all that hers is BLUE BLUE BLUE - and we can all get a frag of it!

Suggest if it's anywhere near healthy, that you frag some off. It seems to do its best when it's small. Get several pieces of it growing here and there. I put a piece up for auction already - and I have another piece that I'm giving to the person that helped me the most when I first started in here. One piece for my 58, and the main, original piece continues to grow frags for me. Reason for the quick fragging and auctioning is that I want to get it spread out into as many tanks as possible - just in case. Think of some of Tyree's limited editions that just aren't available anymore. And others that he was able to buy back. It isn't DEAD until they're ALL dead.

bob

"I'm hoping that Eve will show up and tell us all that hers is BLUE BLUE BLUE - and we can all get a frag of it!"

I'm showing up - but I can't tell you that it's BLUE BLUE BLUE. It's not. It would be a lot closer under solid actinics, but I'm not sure that anyone will get close to the web photo. I have 4 VHOs - 3 actinic and one 50/50 and it's a pale purple at best.

"Suggest if it's anywhere near healthy, that you frag some off. It seems to do its best when it's small. Get several pieces of it growing here and there. I put a piece up for auction already - and I have another piece that I'm giving to the person that helped me the most when I first started in here. One piece for my 58, and the main, original piece continues to grow frags for me. Reason for the quick fragging and auctioning is that I want to get it spread out into as many tanks as possible - just in case. Think of some of Tyree's limited editions that just aren't available anymore. And others that he was able to buy back. It isn't DEAD until they're ALL dead."

The piece I have is doing really well. I moved it up about as high as I can and it's still stretching up. It's around 2-1/2 - 3" tall and about 2-1/2" wide with multi-branches. Inna has the next frag and the choice of taking a cutting or waiting for a frag to attach to a piece of rock.

"I'm hoping that Eve will show up and tell us all that hers is BLUE BLUE BLUE - and we can all get a frag of it!"

I'm showing up - but I can't tell you that it's BLUE BLUE BLUE. It's not. It would be a lot closer under solid actinics, but I'm not sure that anyone will get close to the web photo. I have 4 VHOs - 3 actinic and one 50/50 and it's a pale purple at best.

"Suggest if it's anywhere near healthy, that you frag some off. It seems to do its best when it's small. Get several pieces of it growing here and there. I put a piece up for auction already - and I have another piece that I'm giving to the person that helped me the most when I first started in here. One piece for my 58, and the main, original piece continues to grow frags for me. Reason for the quick fragging and auctioning is that I want to get it spread out into as many tanks as possible - just in case. Think of some of Tyree's limited editions that just aren't available anymore. And others that he was able to buy back. It isn't DEAD until they're ALL dead."

The piece I have is doing really well. I moved it up about as high as I can and it's still stretching up. It's around 2-1/2 - 3" tall and about 2-1/2" wide with multi-branches. Inna has the next frag and the choice of taking a cutting or waiting for a frag to attach to a piece of rock.

Pictures! We want pictures!!

Steve - any way you can contact the guy that sold it to you, and ask him how he made it so blue??

bob

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think it's official.....mine is gone. The pieces I have on the rock are less than 1/8" high now when they all used to be over 1". I don't understand it because other Xenia is doing great in my tank........EVERYTHING else is doing great in my tank.

Well, I think it's official.....mine is gone. The pieces I have on the rock are less than 1/8" high now when they all used to be over 1". I don't understand it because other Xenia is doing great in my tank........EVERYTHING else is doing great in my tank.

Holler when you want a frag back. I have one frag that's bigger than your original colony now in my 58G. And the one I sold is getting bigger... and bigger... and bigger... and I'm trying to make a new one now.

Or get a frag from EVE - hers looks more colorful.

bob

Hi All,

I wanted to update you on the frag. I've decided to get rid of my softies tank. Since Inna was next for a frag, I asked her if she would take it. Coincidentally we had spoken a week or two ago because I knew she was next in line for a frag. I told her I would put a rock next to it (again) so it could attach and she would be able to get her frag. Well - just this past weekend I finalized my decision to break down the tank so I asked her to take the frag (since it wasn't a bit closer to attaching to the rock next to it :-( ).

Long story short - she's coming to get it tomorrow. She'll frag a piece for me down the road and I'll decide then whether to sell it, whatever.

:-)

The frag I put in my 58-gallon tank (on the bottom - moderate light, moderate current) is turning quite blue. Unfortunately, it also seems to be losing mass, rather than gaining. Over-skimming, I think. I asked Eric at fragfarmers - and he said it seems to do best under 20K MH lights (as far as color). I am going to move the frag to my 14K MH nano - and see how it does there. I don't think it will last more than a week in my 58 if it keeps getting smaller.

bob

Okay - upon closer inspection, maybe it isn't losing mass - it's just all shifted to the side away from the glass. Here is a picture taken a few minutes ago:

e851448b.jpg

I'll give it a few more days and see if it's actually shrinking.

Color is fairly accurate to 'eyeball' color. That 'christmas favia' behind it that I got from BRK about a month ago is growing like crazy. That 'bare spot' on the lower left end was more than twice that size when I got it.

e8513fc2.jpg

bob

Off the popic - sorry

Bob, is that Tapetum you dot from me? If it is - gosh, you feed it well!

Yes - that's the one! It never misses a meal. If it gets any bigger, my clown will start hosting on it. When I'm feeding the fish, it always grabs a few pieces of shrimp out of the water flowing past. One day it grabbed too many, and Sally the lightfoot attacked the Tapetum to get her share. So I now often feed the crab a piece of fish with my tongs (she gets too excited to risk my fingers). There are chow hounds, and then there's Sally - queen of the food-lovers.

bob