Who's going to the Spring Meeting?

trble81

Kind of interested to see who's going to the Spring Meeting this coming Sunday. This will be our first meeting. We missed the winter one and unfortunately didn't get to meet a whole lot of people at the Scales social (hard without name tags and stuff).

For easy ID, I'll probably be wearing a striped rugby shirt with my black leather jacket (looks like the weather will be upper fourties as opposed to lower seventies like tomorrow) and my wife is a red-head. We know a couple of people but we can't wait to meet everyone else!

--Mike and Heather

:cheers:

hey bud! im new here too, but clearly much newer than you. i should be there as well. looking forward to entire function, i.e. meeting ppl from forum, listing to the speaker, and just talking about the hobby in general. :bluefish:

how many people show up to these things anyway? just curious

Guest Faustous

I will be there!

I am really looking forward to the lecture on Old Tank Syndrome, since I am experiencing that with a freshwater tank I have now...

REALLY looking forward to seeing other enthusiasts and getting corals from people that care!!

Guest tgallo

:biggrin:

I will not be there :(

I will be on a weekend bender :biggrin:

:cheers: :drink: :cheers:

Hope Copps won't bore you too much with his fish talk........

:biggrin:

I will not be there :(

I will be on a weekend bender :biggrin:

:cheers: :drink: :cheers:

Hope Copps won't bore you too much with his fish talk........

I guess if you intend on getting blitzed, it's best to stay at home. The alternative would be to go there hammered and shout "Yahoo! FISH BABY!!" every time the speaker takes a pause.

:wink:

:bounce:

I'll be there!!

:lol2:

For the NEWBIEs of the group, recommend bringing:

Small cooler and baggies for frags!

Small bit of cash for raffles and possible purchases/swaps

Any old equipment that you want to sale/trade off! See other post on this subject.

Desire to learn and have fun!!

Come to meet some great people most of all!!

See you there!!

Would someone PLEASE put out special nametags or stickers for the noobs and first-time meeting attendees? I brought my family to the first meeting I attended and no one bothered to introduce themselves. We left early thinking the WAMAS group was a bunch of snobs. I stuck around and now know that this is not true but I've heard similar comments from others over the past year. All we need is a sticker - "HI! I'm New!" or "Hello! This is my first meeting!"

:bounce:

I'll be there!!

:lol2:

For the NEWBIEs of the group, recommend bringing:

Small cooler and baggies for frags!

Small bit of cash for raffles and possible purchases/swaps

Any old equipment that you want to sale/trade off! See other post on this subject.

Desire to learn and have fun!!

Come to meet some great people most of all!!

See you there!!

I'll be there. Another newbie.

bob

Guest Bemmer

Hey Bob et al,

Bob, you make a very good point. Not that we want to "call out" newbies but in actuality it is good to know who is new in the hobby. Many of us "been a round the block" folks would make it a point to come up and say "hello"...at least I will..."HELLO". :bounce:

Seriously, name tags have always been helpful. I plan to have them at my tank tour next Saturday. (Plug for the tank tour to all the newbies).

Guys and gals, these meetings are really great. i would expect that this one will be well attended, especially for a published speaker like Julian Sprung. Get his books, I highly recommend them...and I am sure he will sign them if you ask. :biggrin:

Look forward to meeting ya'll. And don't hesitate to come up and say hi to me too. I'm "Bemmer"....named after my dog...no really, its true.

Rebecca

billy and i are newbies to WAMAS, but we are hard core rockers!!!

no need for name tags, right??

Edited by shawns

I guess if you intend on getting blitzed, it's best to stay at home. The alternative would be to go there hammered and shout "Yahoo! FISH BABY!!" every time the speaker takes a pause.

:wink:

This is a stellar idea! I'll drive you there Rik just to see the look on John's face :lol:

I plan on being there if work will let me out. I wanted to get that picture thread going so we could put names to faces, but we see how well that went. Lol

Guest seantadez

WHERE is the meeting? Is it a secret?

The Spring Meeting of The Washington Area Marine Aquarist Society (WAMAS) will be on Sunday March 18, 2007 from 1:00-5:15 p.m. Kilmer Middle School, 8100 Wolftrap Road, Vienna, Virginia 22182 (immediately outside Washington, DC)

Our featured special guest speakers are Julian Sprung and John Coppolino. Julian will be giving a presentation on "Old Tank Syndrome." Julian is a well known author and speaker has given several presentations worldwide & he also runs Two Little Fishies Company. John is a WAMAS member and and has won numerous TOTM awards including the WAMAS February one and one on Reef Central read here, and one on NANOreef.com. John will be talking about rare angelfish.

Along with two great talks, lots of frag swapping, and a great raffle, this is sure to be a meeting NOT to miss!

For further information on WAMAS and the Spring Meeting, visit our web site http://www.wamas.org/

Who: W.A.M.A.S. (Washington Area Marine Aquarium Society)

When: March 18, 2007 (Sunday)

Time: 1:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M. (EST)

Where: Kilmer Middle School

8100 Wolftrap Road

Vienna, Virginia 22182

Cost: Members - Free / Non-members - $5.00

[Annual Membership = $20 - Individual; $35 - Family]

Agenda

1:00 - 1:30 Sign in and Socializing

1:30 - 2:00 Club News

2:00 - 3:00 John Coppolino ("copps") - "Rare Angelfish"

3:00 - 3:30 Break

3:30 - 4:45 Julian Sprung - Old Tank Syndrome"

4:45 - 5:00 Break

5:00 - 5:15 Raffle

5:15 Adjourn

Special guests

- Julian Sprung

- John Coppolino aka "copps"

Miscellaneous

- Light refreshments and snacks will be provided.

- Raffle prizes:

- Adventure scuba - 2 open water dive certification classes - a $950+ value) http://www.scubava.com/ [must medically qualify]

Directions:

From 495

- Exit 47B (Rt. 7 West toward Tysons / Leesburg)

- Left on Gallows Road

- Follow Gallows South to school at intersection of Gallows and Wolftrap Rd.

Kilmer Middle School

8100 Wolftrap Road

Vienna, Virginia 22182

Here's a map from Mapquest

The map link

Abstract: [Coming soon]

Julian

Edited by seantadez

Would someone PLEASE put out special nametags or stickers for the noobs and first-time meeting attendees?

This is a *GREAT* idea. Do we have "I'm a n00b" hats or something? :)

And thanks for the info. The info's not in the calendar section and I never visit the front page :)

That should be a door prize or at least a raffle item! :cheers:

You know, it's easy to come up with ideas and sometimes just as easy to take action. I'll stop by Staples tomorrow and see what I can find.

Edited by YBeNormal

I doubt I'll be be able to make it. If it was on a Saturday I would be there in a second, but driving all day Sunday and potentially not getting home till late (I'm 2 hours away) would be rough since its tax season. I'm going to be at the tank tours at least though!

Thomas and I will be there.

Also another way besides name tags is just to start walking up to people and introducing yourself. Its true lots of us are antisocial fish geeks but if you want to talk about fish or corals you can't shut us up.