The Dangers of Zoos......I found out the hard way

steveoutlaw

Well it seems all those threads on the internet about zoos being poisonous are true. I inhaled some of the fumes when pouring boiling water over some nuisance polyps at 1:00 in the afternoon. I started getting some allergy symptoms while working outside so I didn't think anything of it. The symptoms were getting progressively worse as the day went on.

Well, by 8:00 I was having trouble breathing, had the worst headache of my life and was going into coughing fits that I don't ever want to remember.

After 12 hours in the Emergency Room getting steroid shots, doing breathing treatments and hacking and coughing up a storm. I'm going to be on steroids, codiene and an inhaler for the next week and then go back for re-evaluation.

The worst part is, there are few documented cases of Palytoxin poisoning and ways to treat it so I'm a guinea pig.

If anybody is considering the boiling water treatment for nuisance polyps, call me first........I'LL TALK YOU OUT OF IT!!

Edited by steveoutlaw

Steve

Thanks for sharing your experience, and glad to hear it was not as bad as we first thought. I hope we all learn from this one, unless anoyone wants to pay a visit to the most expensive HOTEL in town.... that's right. the Hospital... :biggrin:

I'm glad to hear you're doing alright!! How did the explination at the ER intake go, if you don't mind me asking? "YOu did what sir? How? Why? WHat do you mean nusiance polys? SIr have you been using drugs?"

Well, I was smart enough to print a story from the web that was the same as mine (guy spraying zoos with boiling water, bad respiratory reaction). I just told them I inhaled a toxin and gave them the paper.......the doctor said it was one of the most interesting maladys she had ever researched.

Steve,

Glad you feel better!

Does this mean I should put a halt to the Zoo soup I was planning on making for the Wamas meeting? :biggrin:

Glad to hear you are ok.

How scary! I didn't realized breathing in the fumes could do that - I didn't realize they created fumes. Sorry you had to be the one to give us first hand knowledge. Feel better!

When I was researching it I found out that they release the toxing when distressed. When I was pouring the boiling water over polyps they released the toxin and the steam carried it up to my face........where I inhaled it like a dumba$$. Oh well, live and learn.......I'm happy to take one for the team......but I won't be taking another one for the team!! :biggrin:

Wow that is scary. I am glad to hear you are okay. Maybe I am a bit thick but I am trying to picture exactly what was done. Did you take the rock the zoas are on, then spray them and from that fumes got into the air? I cant believe that. I didn't realize that could happen. What is another way of getting rid of zoas?

Not quite the same, but I got a nice lungful of Kalkwasser dust while mixing up a batch at home. A day later I spent the day at home with the worst chest cold I've ever had. It got much better after a day, but the symptoms lasted a week. I researched a bit that inhaling the kalkwasser dust can cause chemical bronchitis, so I self diagnosed. Never went to the doc, but just a reminder to always hold your breath while mixing up kalk and killing polyps.

Glad you're ok!

(edited)

Wow that is scary. I am glad to hear you are okay. Maybe I am a bit thick but I am trying to picture exactly what was done. Did you take the rock the zoas are on, then spray them and from that fumes got into the air? I cant believe that. I didn't realize that could happen. What is another way of getting rid of zoas?

Thanks everybody.

David - I pulled the rock out and held it over a bucket. I then poured the boiling water over the polyps (didn't want to kill ALL of the coralline, just the polyps). The polyps released the toxin and the steam carried it up to my face where I inhaled it.

Edited by steveoutlaw

It's scary how real this all becomes, it's easy to forget we have real forces of nature in our tanks. Glad to hear you're ok Steve, that's really messed up. Hope you heal quick. I'm sure your wife loves your tanks even more now =).

Edited by David B

steve glad to hear your alright and thanks for pointing out another way we have to be careful

guess that cancels the srping meeting water bong zoa peace pipe party.

i am glad you are well. i have touched zoos before but never did the boiling water thing but its good that people know about this in case it happens to them. your experience though unpleasant may have saved a life as im sure it could have been worse for you or others. well get well soon

Owchie, hope you're ok! Those xoa toxin can be very nasty, even can blind or kill someone. I always use shop google and mask while working with zoas. I know that I felt funny after I working with them and having a small open wound on my fingers... That's why we should always take extra precaution with zoa when fragging, removing, etc.

I hope all is well & you get back to normal in no time. Good think that you aired on the safe side and went to the ER regardless of what other thought!! On a lighter note, you might have to change your signature to "No honey, reef tanks aren't dangerous".... :)

Hope you feel better soon!

-Jess

Steve,

I'm glad you went to the ER to get looked at. I had a feeling you'd be on steroids as a result. Just an FYI, steroid treatment does reduce you inflamation but slows down your healing process so if you have cuts that take forever to heal, you know why.

Also, if they go and tell you that your blood tests show an elevation in glucose (if you have to go for blood tests, of course), let them know you are on that medication. I worked with a guy who had surgery and was on steroids and he was told that he was a diabetic and they made him take meds for it. When he went off the steroids, he was still on the meds for the glucose and was now on the low end and feeling like crap. Not until he told them did they correct that mistake.

Take care man!

:cheers:

I hope all is well & you get back to normal in no time. Good think that you aired on the safe side and went to the ER regardless of what other thought!! On a lighter note, you might have to change your signature to "No honey, reef tanks aren't dangerous".... :)

Hope you feel better soon!

-Jess

:lol:

Well, my poor wife had to sit in the ER all night with me and only got an hour of sleep before she had to go to work. I got a doctors note for 2 days of bedrest......she'll never let me live this one down!!

:lol2: :lol2:

Thanks everybody.

David - I pulled the rock out and held it over a bucket. I then poured the boiling water over the polyps (didn't want to kill ALL of the coralline, just the polyps). The polyps released the toxin and the steam carried it up to my face where I inhaled it.

I think you were just trying to find a inexpensive "high" :lol2: :lol2: