It was a busy week in my shop.

dandy7200

The e-heim pumps put the sedra and gen-x to shame. they are quiet and don't have any heat issues. I would definately wait on the E-heim.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom of the 9th, full count, last pump....... :biggrin:

Gluing the 6" skimmer together tonight :cheers:

It looks like a fastball... the runner on third is taking off for home!!

Batter's taking a big swing!

And.....

i never thought id ever say this about a skimmer.... but its soooo cute :blush:

should grab some shots of it outa the tank and with the skimmer cup full later on so we can see how it handles your tank.

I do hope youve got more for that to skim then just your 58 gallon system though :P

even with a cowfish that isnt a super high bioload. Ill be glad to break one in since my etss is barely keeping up :P

even send you skimmate samples to fumigate your house with LOL

seriously though cant wait to see it long term. would this be the super 6 skimmer then? if its like motel 6 but youll leave the skimmate out for me i think ill pass. :bb:

(edited)
i never thought id ever say this about a skimmer.... but its soooo cute blush.gif

funny, I said the same thing :lol2:

should grab some shots of it outa the tank and with the skimmer cup full later on so we can see how it handles your tank.

I will in a few days, I think everyone will be a bit surprised I put a 4" neck on this little beast and all the plumbing is 1". It can handle some serious air and still skim wet or dry. I'll get it off the test tank and on my Display in a few days or so, which is closer to 110 gallon system heavy bioload and SPS tank and I think this will be matched up perfectly. I have a bit of testing to do on it still, heck the plumbing isn't even glued on it yet :lol:

Edited by dandy7200

489185916_02d432dc30.jpg

I was thinking of creating an actual prefilter box that could just drop in a sump that would have filter socks, splash guards and bubble difuser built into it which would control the noise and salt creep from the overflows really well. I can repeat the above design as far as a plain eurobraced sock holder goes but I think the idea could be developed further. Thoughts?

(edited)

489185916_02d432dc30.jpg

I was thinking of creating an actual prefilter box that could just drop in a sump that would have filter socks, splash guards and bubble difuser built into it which would control the noise and salt creep from the overflows really well. I can repeat the above design as far as a plain eurobraced sock holder goes but I think the idea could be developed further. Thoughts?

You don't want to see MY design... I bought one of those fancy sock holders - and then found out it won't fit between the edge of the tank and baffle I glued in there. But - I hooked one end of my filter sock over the 45-degree connector, and the other end over the baffle - and it just sits there fine!

Yes - I will be building a new sock holder.

What's strange - I have no rock or anything in that new sump yet - but I already don't get any bubbles.

bob

Edited by lanman

(edited)

What about adding one of those to the output of the skimmer? Would completely get rid any microbubbles, plus trap anything else that might want to escape. Although, if the Eheims live up to their reputation, nothing will escape anyways right?

I used a filter sock for a while to get rid of my microbubbles. Now I have enough rock buildup in the sump to prevent them from getting into the main tank.

P.S. thank goodness for Starbucks during finals week and WAMAS for "keep-me-sane" study breaks :biggrin:

Edited by jamesbuf

For someone new to the hobby, how would microbubbles get into your main tank and why would that be bad??

LL micro bubbles are very small bubbles that while not necessarily bad for your tank, (can be if you keep SPS corals) they are annoying when you want to look at the tank. anything that chops up or darins water will have some, so overflow boxes and skimmers are big culprits, also leaky plumbing for pumps can allow them to suck in air and create micro bubbles. the better you eliminate them the happier you will be. if you dont have them be happy your doing the right thing.

DAn flesh it all the way out, i think its a great idea.

If you happen to have any spare or non destroyed pumps your willing to part with as well LMK,

see thread below

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=14476

Well filter socks are more for pulling large particles out of the water column before they ever hit the skimmer. This is the first filtration stage before the skimmer. The bubbles and splashing is caused by air that gets sucked into your standpipes. Baffles in the sump after the skimmer help to reduce micro bubbles getting sucked into the return pump and then turned into many micro bubbles in the display. Two differant beast altogether.

Jager, I have a NIB Eheim1262. While you have that pump laying there (if it's not already in the trash) please take a minute and add to this thread.

good lord Dan, is there anything that you dont build? :biggrin: j/k

great job :bb:

Thanks :) I'm woking my way to a high end "ultimate all in one filtration system" similar to what Elos and Deltec do over in the European market and there are a lot of components that need to fall into place first, this happens to be one of them. I always try and look and build what I see on the market now and then am looking for ways to improve on them weather it be ease of use or more functionality, sometimes it just comes down to quality materials, a triple espresso and bunch of plastic shavings on the floor ;)

I think I sent PM's to all that were interested in the smaller skimmer "Standard Six". If anyone else needed the information or I missed you, please send a PM.

Guest Bemmer

489185916_02d432dc30.jpg

I really like the prefilter box idea. How big is this prefilter box? What do you invision the dimensions to be?

So, for my system, I would connect the flexible drain hose I have to the top of the 1 1/2" PVC piece and the water would "fall" down into the filter bag. Correct?

What is the distance from the bottom of the "clip-on" piece that attaches to the euro bracing to the neck of the filter sock? Also, does that stick out about 4 1/2" from the edge of the euro bracing? I need to be sure it will fit between the edge of the euro bracing and my skimmer. Just curious.

Thanks for the dimensions. Look forward to seeing those in person.

I got my kalk stiririririrer and a peak at the 54 gal set up. All of it including the customer service was freaking awsome... drive sucked like H-E-double hocky sticks... :wig:

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, my member status changed today and not sure I will keep this thread going for much longer. I would like to start a new one if possible but waiting to find out the rules about that. Regardless here are some things that left the shop last week:

M20 Calcium Reactor:

506675305_563229a371.jpg

Custom Sockholder for Eurobracing:

506675331_b94f07b118_o.jpg

Guest Bemmer

:bb: Hey, that is my calcium reactor and my filter sock holder.

They are both awesome. I will post pics of the calcium reactor in my thread. i could not be happier with both products.

Dan does excellent work. I can't say enough about his products and their workmanship.

I never knew Dan is so talented. From what I read so far, it seems that Dan is producing top notched stuff. When the time comes for me to get a kalk reactor, I'd give my business to Dan and not to someone I don't even know.

James