It was a busy week in my shop.

dandy7200

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys may notice a pattern: I don't post for a few weeks then make a ton of post all at once. Almost like I'm working on something :biggrin:

This is a neck shot, it's kind of hard to get a good shot maybe someone can give me a pointer. I am shooting macro at 400ISO with no flash and this still seems like a impossible shot to get. It's like trying to get a picture of fog ;)

469313235_5881add5b9.jpg

I shot this one with flash since skimmate always looks washed out with a flash. Does this looked washed out to you?

469313257_a4b93890c6.jpg

This was a special order with the exit pipe opposite of the pump for a long narrow sump. Notice the slightly different look to the riser cone?

469313249_76fcf3b064.jpg

Guest tgallo

thats some good looking goo.is that the goo from your tank dan.

thats some good looking goo.is that the goo from your tank dan.

Thats the test tank in the shop, it gets the old water from water changes the occasional skimmer cup of goo and has live rock that I am cooking for the new tank :)

dan is that a 701 clone? seems to be a smaller skimmer then the previous 851 hots. apologies if its only the perspective though.

the riser seems more sloped as well i guess your probably getting a lot finer bubble production with less turbulence do to that shift?

EDIT its still the 851 based on previous pics, sry was the perspective that threw me for a minute there

nice rounded neck/riser section. other than it now begin round does it help with the bubble size internally? or is it simply for looks?

Edited by Jager

dan is that a 701 clone? seems to be a smaller skimmer then the previous 851 hots. apologies if its only the perspective though.

the riser seems more sloped as well i guess your probably gettign a lot finer bubble production with less turbuence do to that shift?

Smaller? Did someone say smaller?

I'm waiting for Dan to produce a smaller size skimmer...

bob

oh sorry bout the red sea comment dan, they arent bad skimmers on a 55 gallon , well i rephrase they arent bad on a 55 gallon when they were free. otherwise yeah..... :P

ill gladly prove the difference between your skimmer and one of theirs on the same tank LOL

just send me one to test ill even send you skim mate samples to give out as part of the marketing package LOL

this is red sea skim.

and this nasty smelling crap is dan's dung removal skimmer.

:bb:

Smaller? Did someone say smaller?

I'm waiting for Dan to produce a smaller size skimmer...

bob

Yeah, I hear that. I'm waiting on the design that will make me put my G5 up on ebay or craigslist.

Not to mention I'm waiting on the skimmer that he builds for himself if he ever decides to upgrade tanks.

Sorry guys I don't know what those #'s mean, 701 or 851???? Must be metric system or something ;)

The dimms on this skimmer are 13"x16" footprint and height 27 1/2" or 28" required for cup removal.

This is called the Standard Eight the above one is of course custom so it is called the Custom Eight

As far as getting other stuff into production I hope you guys all understand that it is not quite as easy as just banging out a new skimmer or something. All materials need to be sourced, temporary jigs made just for the first one, then the production of the first one can begin. After completed it must run on my test tank and both of my reefs before I will even let the prototype out of the door. Any reworking is done then a small batch of the unit is run. Permanant jigs are made and then production can begin and really only at that time can I determine a final retail price or specs. That said, I have a bunch of equipment in the first stages of this process :biggrin: Sorry can't give you any more details than that :blush:

Dan,

Is another month good for you to get the production line of skimmer out for us? I think I can hold out for one more month and take it easy w/o adding any additional fish on my system.

Thanks,

Lee

This was the first run of the Standard Eight. I made more than one. :biggrin: So first production run of this will be right after I finish up my calcium reactor. First run of the fluidized reactors is also done and permanant jigs need to be built before making the first big production run of that item. The Standard Six skimmer is in about 30 pieces on the workbench but I would predict the first run of those to be in about a months time.

Guest tgallo

Well Dan, if you need to test one of your larger skimmers on my future tank, you're more then welcomed to. :clap: .

In case anyone needed another reason to attend the social this weekend... That skimmer is going on our propagation system.

Dan,

It looks great can't wait to see how well it does.

-Byron

You guys may notice a pattern: I don't post for a few weeks then make a ton of post all at once. Almost like I'm working on something :biggrin:

This is a neck shot, it's kind of hard to get a good shot maybe someone can give me a pointer. I am shooting macro at 400ISO with no flash and this still seems like a impossible shot to get. It's like trying to get a picture of fog ;)

469313235_5881add5b9.jpg

I shot this one with flash since skimmate always looks washed out with a flash. Does this looked washed out to you?

469313257_a4b93890c6.jpg

This was a special order with the exit pipe opposite of the pump for a long narrow sump. Notice the slightly different look to the riser cone?

469313249_76fcf3b064.jpg

i cant wait to see that thing in action! im sure it's dissolved junk's nightmare.

:blast: J

:blast: U

:blast: N

:blast: K

:clap: :clap:

Edited by shawns

Sorry guys I don't know what those #'s mean, 701 or 851???? Must be metric system or something ;)

The dimms on this skimmer are 13"x16" footprint and height 27 1/2" or 28" required for cup removal.

This is called the Standard Eight the above one is of course custom so it is called the Custom Eight

As far as getting other stuff into production I hope you guys all understand that it is not quite as easy as just banging out a new skimmer or something. All materials need to be sourced, temporary jigs made just for the first one, then the production of the first one can begin. After completed it must run on my test tank and both of my reefs before I will even let the prototype out of the door. Any reworking is done then a small batch of the unit is run. Permanant jigs are made and then production can begin and really only at that time can I determine a final retail price or specs. That said, I have a bunch of equipment in the first stages of this process :biggrin: Sorry can't give you any more details than that :blush:

We know... we have the patience of vultures, waiting for an old raccoon to die... (patience, h-e-double-hocky sticks, I'm going to kill something!!)

Nonetheless, it can't be a BAD thing to know that people are eagerly awaiting your next product - with cash in hand! I have a line on a 'loaner' from Stevie Outlaw. Two Aqua-C remora's will be holding things together in my new tank, waiting for the real thing! Twin HOB skimmers hanging on the new 40-gallon sump.

bob

mmmm.....big....me likey.....

471988175_fb963bd108.jpg

LOL,

Here is the happy trio of Fluidized reactors:

471962740_1412eb967e.jpg

From left to right: Fluidized Reactor 1000, Fluidized Reactor 2000 and the big dog Fluidized reactor 4000.

The number designation on these refers to the # of ml of media the inner chamber can hold :)

Hey Dan, not to highjack your thread, but what do you use to clean the front of your 54 bowfront? I've heard that the bowfront tanks are more easily scratched than the flant front tanks. From your experience, is there any truth to this? Thanks.

Also, what are those big tubes for?

(edited)

Hey Dan, not to highjack your thread, but what do you use to clean the front of your 54 bowfront? I've heard that the bowfront tanks are more easily scratched than the flant front tanks. From your experience, is there any truth to this? Thanks.

Also, what are those big tubes for?

I use a (edit) Algae Free "piranha" magnet cleaner twice a week and scrape the glass once a month with a kent pro scraper, no scratches so far.

Edited by dandy7200

I use a (edit) Algae Free "piranha" magnet cleaner twice a week and scrape the glass once a month with a kent pro scraper, no scratches so far.

Have you established the fee for this service yet?

:D

Today just for S's and giggles I decided to test out the Standard Eight with a MJ1200 as the feed pump. Until this time I had been using a Mag5.

473897309_15e8715a85_b.jpg

Holy mother of sweet stanky stable foam :scuba: This skimmer has been running for about 2 hours on the test tank.

Owners prepare for PM :)

1.) where I buy and where you should buy will be totally differant. I would check the yellow pages for plastic shops in MD, there are a few of them where you can buy small quantities.

2.) I do make the saddle pieces myself. They are all thermoformed in a oven and bent to the radius I need. I have jigs made for most sizes of tubing I use but you could easily just heat the piece and then duct tape it to the tube you were going to use for your project and let it cool.

HTH

1.) where I buy and where you should buy will be totally differant. I would check the yellow pages for plastic shops in MD, there are a few of them where you can buy small quantities.

2.) I do make the saddle pieces myself. They are all thermoformed in a oven and bent to the radius I need. I have jigs made for most sizes of tubing I use but you could easily just heat the piece and then duct tape it to the tube you were going to use for your project and let it cool.

HTH

Thanks. You've really done some nice work. I'm very interested in scale model engines and I've seen a lot of work by guys that love what they're doing. You obviously have a gift and a passion. Thanks for sharing all of the pics. You are certainly quite a craftsman. If you start a business, I wish you well.

Alan

It looks like I will be trying this tonight. I will put a Maxijet for the skimmer feed, and put my Mag 5 through my UV sterilizer. I hope that the skimmer cup wont overflow with skimmate overnight :) . (I will install the drain tonight).

Thanks Dan

Guest Bemmer

Dan,

Your works continues to look awesome. Can't wait for the calcium reactor pics. Talk to you about mine at the social on Saturday. :)