Fail Safe ATO

yagerboy

What is the best ATO that people are using?  I have 2 Avast ATOs and neither work properly.  Woke up this morning to find water everywhere in the basement.

is the Tunze the best? 

Are you sure it’s the avast?  I have used them for years with no issue. Is the line not breaking the siphon once the pump shuts off?  I have had that happen before. 

I'm not familiar with the unit you're using specifically, but if you've got a water level sensor and a maximum runtime limit, you're pretty safe.  A low and high water sensor can help, or even a sensor for the top off reservoir, but it may be more a matter of setup than capability of the device.

I had a JBJ long ago that worked well enough, I've heard the Tunze Osmolator get the most love over the years, but some of the optical sensor options seem to be pretty highly rated now too.

Many do say Tunze is the best, but I personally have always had bad luck with them. I am shocked to hear your having issues with your Avast ones. I have an Avast one that is over 10 years old now and been flawless. I did add the optional float to it many years ago as a backup. The only time the actual pressure tube failed me all that was needed was replacing the tubing between the sensor and pressure tube. Found that out after reaching out to Avast  about my issues.

1 hour ago, wildcrazyjoker81 said:

Many do say Tunze is the best, but I personally have always had bad luck with them. I am shocked to hear your having issues with your Avast ones. I have an Avast one that is over 10 years old now and been flawless. I did add the optional float to it many years ago as a backup. The only time the actual pressure tube failed me all that was needed was replacing the tubing between the sensor and pressure tube. Found that out after reaching out to Avast  about my issues.

Same!!! I have tried 3 differetn Tunze and they would work great for a while and always end up with issues. 

currently using the one that comes with my hydros with no issues. 

I’ve used Reefbreeders Exo ATO for years.

I always try to have some sort of redundancy when I can. Stuff fails after a while, though I haven’t had the Exo Ato fail yet. Now I have my Profilux run ATO, though I haven’t put in the backup for that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, cpeguero said:

I’ve used Reefbreeders Exo ATO for years.

I always try to have some sort of redundancy when I can. Stuff fails after a while, though I haven’t had the Exo Ato fail yet. Now I have my Profilux run ATO, though I haven’t put in the backup for that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too use my Profilux to manage ATO for two tanks as I have an expansion box to manage another tank in my basement. The max run time is a nice feature to make sure it limits mistakes. Have my trusty old Avast on my 40B with a float as a backup.

I have an apex yet still choose to use my tunze as it has never failed on me….I have had it for so many years…..all I need to do is purchase a new pump every few years.  It is probably one of the top reef gear purchases I have made.

Darren

Which Avast do you have? The one with an outlet on the front or one that integrated with a controller? There both pretty simple inside. Air leakage would be the most likely culprit.

Try a new, short length of tubing and plunge the open end into a glass of water and test if it switches reliably.

My Avast ATOs (I have two) have both operated without fail now for over 10 years of continuous operation.)

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, yagerboy said:

Outlet in front.  I’ll mess with it over the weekend.  Thanks!

Please report back what you find.

My Avast is rock solid and I personally wouldn't use anything else other than a pressure tube. IMO it is better than a float or optical. I do have it tied to my reef angel for a time out just in case. The only thing I notice is that occasionally, the sensor may be more sensitive one way or another (could be pressure in your home?) so I have to adjust my time out a few times.