Waterbox 270 LX

roni

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ReefAddict said:

Looks great……I guess I can stop checking for you to list your Reef Savvy tank now. ?

Haha, thanks.  I'm hoping they'll lose interest but then again, it's nice having a simple tank as well.  And it allows them to have a blue tang because it's what they want.  

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Wow, everything is looking so tops. I love that Rit. 

Thanks. That's probably my 3rd favorite ritteri I've had in 20+ years.  The nicest I had was a blue base yellow tentacle that died right after I got it (days before antibiotics).  Second favorite was a bright purple base deep green tentacle that I lost to tank neglect during some of my busier work times ?.

My carpet is slowly creeping up and stinging a couple things.  The montipora doesn't mind but the acro might show a little damage.  I'm going to try to peel off though hard with how much it's encrusted.  

Edited by roni

Check out how much the carpet touches.  We'll see what happens.  This was sold as a leng sy but I think it's a purple polyped cap (flower petal?). Still pretty but interested to see what happens this close to the carpet.

16376333340785993904426978540817.thumb.jpg.77e6680e54a82abc6aed8fa1b85928ac.jpg

New spot for the tort.  It's a no name but turning a really nice turquoise colorPXL_20211122_183627562.thumb.jpg.cb46c2a011b29ca2d2efda14f4a43c0f.jpg

Got this turbinaria heroensis from @Leishman along with this favia.  Both a little different from the usual fare

PXL_20211122_183709599.thumb.jpg.6a008a6d4587823ce0a0b1fd58c6d981.jpg

16376335901388132330927226814595.thumb.jpg.c5266fea38bf898cae976783b4c1357b.jpg

I imagine the carpet will probably sting the edges. I have something similar with some Jedi Mind Trick (that I thought I had eliminated from my tank, guess not!) and a Space Invaders Pectinia that keeps it in check in one direction. 

I'm tickled to see all the goni's in everybody's tanks these days. I remember they were 'taboo" back in the day and 'hard to keep.' 

17 hours ago, YHSublime said:

I imagine the carpet will probably sting the edges. I have something similar with some Jedi Mind Trick (that I thought I had eliminated from my tank, guess not!) and a Space Invaders Pectinia that keeps it in check in one direction. 

I'm tickled to see all the goni's in everybody's tanks these days. I remember they were 'taboo" back in the day and 'hard to keep.' 

Yeah, so far it's not doing a lot.  The anemone crab was sitting on it at one point and the clown looks perturbed but otherwise nothing.  With as much as they are contacting, I don't know that the monti will survive but if it grows and the anemone doesn't move again, might form a nice barrier to the carpet moving on the rocks 

Agree about gonis ..... This one is from a frag and at least 6 years old.  It got bigger in the 100 but doesn't have a great spot.  Still, it's done well.  

There is some talk that the reason we did bad with gonis in past was due to starting with colonies instead of frags, attributed to the presence of boring organisms that killer from within. Hard to believe that as I'm not sure how they would survive in the wild, unless there's something that keeps it in check in the wild.  Nonetheless, this goni has been pretty easy and in general they seem to like the water a little dirty so there must have been some reason for the issues previously.

Still going through a little cycle.   A little red slime here and there, as well as scattered bubble algae and a little patch of hair algae which grows on the dead rock platform on the top left.  Hopefully will have coraline cover in time.  Tons of micro life and managed to get some stomatella snails so hopefully they will reproduce.  

Quick morning pic.  

PXL_20211127_140658181_MP.thumb.jpg.123e29ae136068164e49a9b99998f243.jpg

Also, saw baby collumbelids last night.  Looking forward to them continuing to be fecund.  Moved my urchin after it took not one, not two, but three frags on a ride.  It's banished to the other tank for now.  Hopefully the snails can fill the void

Cleaned the glass and took some side views.  Totally different perspective.  

Right side

PXL_20211128_213320831_MP.thumb.jpg.e683285ec5f7fd8d6f1050e82076371d.jpg

Left side ( harder to get clean)

PXL_20211128_215554650.thumb.jpg.1c8b3286c0ce7a4653e28662487f813d.jpg

Everything is looking amazing. Can't wait to see it all start to grow in, I'm sure you can't either! 

That clownfish photo above it looks like it's actually smiling in it's nice comfy little home! 

On 11/29/2021 at 9:50 AM, YHSublime said:

Everything is looking amazing. Can't wait to see it all start to grow in, I'm sure you can't either! 

That clownfish photo above it looks like it's actually smiling in it's nice comfy little home! 

Thanks, it's hard to be patient. The clowns have settled in well and seem to like each other, which is a change from day 1.

9 hours ago, Cris said:

Your tank looks amazing.  I’m so impressed

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

So really weird.  Been working a lot but when I peaked in the tank today after not looking carefully the last couple days noticed I was missing a clam.  Searched everywhere but can't find it.  It's a 2" maxima so should be there but as of now, it's mia, which is a bummer.  Otherwise, tank is doing well.  Things are growing and some of the new tank cycle is almost complete.

Took a few pics with top off.

PXL_20211221_183103281._exported_299_1640112346951.jpg

PXL_20211221_183111873._exported_0_1640112327956.jpg

PXL_20211221_183119594._exported_0_1640112312819.jpg

PXL_20211221_183137284._exported_1066_1640112293029.jpg

PXL_20211221_183209576._exported_0_1640112249599.jpg

PXL_20211221_183510536._exported_0_1640112193411.jpg

PXL_20211221_183527073._exported_765_1640112121675.jpg

PXL_20211221_183818290._exported_532_1640112032495.jpg

PXL_20211221_183057347.jpg

PXL_20211221_183130850.jpg

Lotsa fire in there. That's bizarre about the clam. Like, shell and all? Real beaut' of a Maxima, I got one a few months ago from Dr. Mac and was able to get it stuck onto one of my old Alternative Reef clam holders. 

I'm a bit jealous of all the space, but not when it comes to mysteries like this! 

4 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Lotsa fire in there. That's bizarre about the clam. Like, shell and all? Real beaut' of a Maxima, I got one a few months ago from Dr. Mac and was able to get it stuck onto one of my old Alternative Reef clam holders. 

I'm a bit jealous of all the space, but not when it comes to mysteries like this! 

Thanks, my original thought was it fell into the carpet but I would expect shell somewhere.  

I'm patiently biding my time.  My wish in qt got delayed when the holiday shipping issues but will hopefully get some fish in the system soon.  Also adding another ritteri and a pair of skunks to the "easy" reef I'm somehow stuck maintaining.   I figure if I have to have a second reef, I'll finally get some pink skunks, which I've wanted for years. 

26 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Isn't the clam in the first pic?

Haha, I can see how that might be misleading.  The clam I'm missing is a 2" max.  The one in one is the pics is a 5" specimen.  The little one was behind the foxflame and above the carpet.  My guess is the carpet but ....

9 hours ago, JJKK said:

:lol2:  Thought mystery solved...what about the last pic?  Same 5" as in the first pic?

Yeah, that would have been a short mystery ;)

On the other hand, anyone have ideas about these eggs?  

2021-12-12.jpg

Roni, those look like the eggs my collumbellid snails laid, looks like they are producing for you! I used to find them all over, but not this year. I hope I didn't deplete mine with annual snail packs. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2022 at 12:46 AM, YHSublime said:

Looks great, Roni!

Thanks Isaac!  So I think I cursed myself by taking a video.  Same night, the gig decided to take a walk all the way to the back left corner of the tank.  Freaked out in the morning when I do my spot check!  Geared myself up to move it, as it's always a pain, though timewise and actually getting stung and moved the gig back to the center.  It's moved more then any anemone I've ever had, including other gigs.  This time I put a couple flat rocks down so it could bury it's foot underneath but sprawl out.  So far so good.  I also had a rock come tumbling down as the red planet has grown so had to rearrange that and use some epoxy.  Fingers crossed.  

Been debating getting a trident as testing regularly is getting to be a drag.  

The other tank is starting to settle in a bit.  Have a pair of skunks in there and one of them finally figured out the ritteri in that tank is a good host so fingers crossed that they will both hang out there.  The anemone in their is a little small so will need it to grow a bit through feedings.  I've moved a lot of zoas over as I prepare to add the final batch of fish (angels/butterflies).

Does the gig physically sting you? I know some folks are sensitive. About 5 years ago I had a carpet nem that if I ever moved it with my hands, it would leave little dot burns all over my hands, but I never felt anything. I was the only time I started to put on gloves when I handled anything in the tank. 

I went down the road, and I might still again on the Trident. For now I just try to keep up on my alkalinity and can do that test pretty quickly. 

The gig isn't bad.  it's just incredibly sticky and i try to be really careful to not hurt it, so the culmination of a lot of stings adds up sometimes.  I had a cut on my finger the first time I moved it this week and that wasn't fun.  I don't know that I'd handle a haddoni the same way.  Ritteris/bubbles have very weak to imperceptible stings.  

It literally takes 2 min to test but I'm starting to get into a lazy phase of reefkeeping.  My biggest problem is time/interest waxes and wanes and sometimes getting together the inertia to do simple tasks is difficult and other times I'm using a razor blade to clean the back glass off a 6 foot panel!  

Hopefully have a special fish coming in tomorrow.  Still not sure if I'll put in the 100 or the 270.  It was a war in their when I added the last 4 fish.  

30 minutes ago, roni said:

My biggest problem is time/interest waxes and wanes and sometimes getting together the inertia to do simple tasks is difficult and other times I'm using a razor blade to clean the back glass off a 6 foot panel!  

If you didn't just sum my life up in one sentence, not just reefkeeping. I'm going to frame this and put it over my tank. 

It's manic, innit?!