New to the forum, looking for some advice getting back into saltwater

I'm from the area but had saltwater reef tanks only when I was away, I've been back in the area for a while and have managed to convince myself that the time is 'right enough' to finally get back into things.  When I had tanks running, I had three nanos at different times, all mixed reef, usually going after mid-light SPS, LPS, and zoanthids, but with an affinity for inverts - my most recent tank (in 2013) was designed around keeping a haddoni carpet anemone, and I managed to keep it happy until I had to move and take down the tank.

I think I have an idea of what I'm looking for and what kind of equipment I'll need as what I remember doesn't seem too out of date, but I was wondering if anyone had tips on where to source a ~30 gallon nano system.  At first glance, the Red Sea Max Nano seems ideal, even at the pricetag, it seems to have the caliber of parts I'd be looking at otherwise which means it's actually about the same price as a brand new DIY if not slightly cheaper, but I'm happy enough to do my own setup, convert, or buy used to rehab.  Looking for approximately a cube shaped display (not too wide) in the 30 gallon ballpark (maybe 20-40, but only on the high end if some is in a sump) with a stand, and I'd be after a good skimmer and LED lighting for sure.  My preference has always been rimless and open top, and from what I've seen of current models, that hasn't changed.

Any tips on companies/models/vendors to look into to get a tank?  I'm probably a month or two out from having enough together to get anything wet, so there's still time to consider a bit, and a substantial bit of shopping to do...

Welcome to WAMAS!

There's a good bunch of "returners" recently, me included. You'll often find what you may need in the FS threads but you'll have to join the club to view that section. It is very active with both dry and live goods from members in our area. In fact I think someone was giving away, for free, a biocube just yesterday. As for tanks, I have a Waterbox and a few others on here do too. Nothing wrong with RedSea either as they seem to have gotten past the leak issues you can read about a bit ago. It's hard to view new tanks because a lot of LFS don't stock tanks in the store but I know Reef Escape, NOVA Tropicals and Supreme Reefs in VA have some on the floor to view. I'm in VA so can't help with the MD stores. Good luck!

Hi @DaJMasta. Welcome to WAMAS. I'll second @howaboutme with the recommendation to join the club. If you've been in the hobby before, you probably appreciate how valuable local clubs can be. WAMAS is a vibrant and active club, and there's alway a lot of activity in our For Sale forum: Frags, equipment, full setups, etc. 

To Join, head over to the WAMAS Store and select either an Individual or Family membership. At $20/year (for the individual membership), it's the best value you can have in the hobby.

I got my start in Austin and was part of their reef club which despite my newness to things and low level of participation in person (no car), it was a great experience and was helpful in both figuring things out and getting some very nice livestock through groupbuys.

It struck me as strange to be slapping down some money on a club membership before I even had a tank picked out, but I do expect to get to that point soon enough, and the potential for a deal on used equipment certainly could accelerate that.

• 2 weeks later...