Switching salts

TonyB13

So I have been using instant ocean for ever. The Last batch I bought approximately 20 boxes of the 200 gallon size is hard as a rock doesn't mix clear and seems to participate our while mixing I called manufacturer and he said its fine if it's hard I said what about the perception and I got no response. So Im Kinda sour on the company I know everyone here uses them. But looking for people's opinion with large systems 200 or 300 and up I'm looking for new alternative cost effective salt fritz rpm has gotten my intrest.

I use fritz blue box with good results. Parameters are perfect for me, and the price is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried most of all the salts out there and I prefer tropic marin pro the best.  It is a little pricier but the quality is top notch.  BRS did a study of several different salt brands for a variety of parameters .....I recommend taking a look at the video and go from there.

Darren

I have tried most of all the salts out there and I prefer tropic marin pro the best.  It is a little pricier but the quality is top notch.  BRS did a study of several different salt brands for a variety of parameters .....I recommend taking a look at the video and go from there.

Darren

How long have you been using it and do you think it was worth switching to? Been thinking about it for a while but haven’t pulled the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started out with Tropic Marin and tbh, my tank was at it's best using this salt. I started adding more and more tanks (common issue for most of us) and it became too expensive to use.

I went to Instant Ocean after a little over a year using TM mostly because "EVERYONE" was using it and they "NEVER HAD A PROBLEM". 

Neg: The salt is just way too dirty and parameters inconsistent from batch to batch. I also do not think the corals benefit from it as much as when I was on TM. 

I switched to Red Sea after about 6 - 11 months with IO. The salt is much cleaner and pricing is good. Blue bucket with alk at 8 is great. It has been about 4 or 5 months now and I admit that acros are coloring back up again and everything seems to bounce back. Giving some time, I am sure the tank will be where I was when using TM. 

I tried a batch of Fritz before Red Sea, but I can't remember why I didn't like it :facepalm1:. The price is around the same for Red Sea but the source for each is different. 

For now, I really do like the Red Sea and most likely sticking with it. 

I have been using it for over a year now and I am quite pleased overall.  It mixes fast with little residue ( I mix a months worth of water changes at one time, then change 10% each week).  It also has parameters that match pretty close to my target parameters (the only addition I do is raise the alk from 7.0 to 8.5 dkh).  It also has the best batch to batch consistency , which is critical for me now that I have down sized to a 40ish gallon tank from my 150.  Worth every additional penny for my application.

Darren

I've been using IO for the past 3 years, on a SPS dominate nano. Before that I used RC for about 5. If RC is good enough for Copps tank, then it's good enough for mine I figure. Aside from occasionally dirty mixing containers, I don't think any particular problems have derived from my salt. At least that I'm aware of, I could be completely wrong! 

I'm just pissed because of the customer service more than anything else and the fact that it doesn't mix clear no matter what I do. they have cleaned up their act I don't get the brown crud like old days bit I get white sand on the bottom which is either precipitation or salt not mixing

So a couple of thoughts on salt mixes.
1. Your target parameters
2. Consider you're dosing regime
3. Consider you're water change regime

For many years, I used IO Reef Salt as my main salt due to its elevated parameters. I did a bi-weekly small 5-10% water change to keep my tank at more normal seawater parameters. Basically, the elevated IO Reef salt parameters were replenishing my tank...no dosing.

In my current build, I'm dosing and doing incremental AWC. In this case, I needed to switch to a salt that mimics natural sea parameters so that my dosing regime maintains my target parameters. I went with Brightwell Neomarine Salt which has a 7-ish dKH and will allow me to target a slightly higher 8-ish dKH and other parameters to be maintained by my dosing method.

So when picking a salt mix, you need to make sure it works with your target parameters and tank maintenance plan.

FYI, Brightwell Neomarine is a salt that mixes clean.

Thanks I looked at that salt too. Just trying to see who will have a consistent product that is clean and mixes clear and the price will fit my pocketbook, I am running 9 dkh 450 calcuim and 1350 mag 

Also I run 8.5 / 440

I will say the Fritz does best when used the day after mixed at the latest. It mixes super fast and clear but supposedly it’s parameters are most consistent when freshly mixed. I also don’t get much brown sludge in my brute can like I did with reef crystals. I still get a slight bit after months, but I always have some in there. I like it because in an emergency I know it can mix up fast fast fast. I clean my mixing station quarterly. I also like it because BRK and Nova Tropicals carry it. So if something happens I can get it locally. Best of luck!

Pretty happy with LiveAquaria salt.  It is rumored to be rebadged Fritz.  I switched from Fritz to LiveAquaria when they had a 20-25% discount sale.  The sale occurs a couple of times per year.  Parameters is around 8.5.  My Calcium(as reported by Trident) is over 500(around 518) though.  Mag around 1450 consistently.