Bluestripe pipefish

ScooterTDI

On 11/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, Cris said:

I am so jealous!   How cool.  What type o seahorses?   mine haven't had babies in a while

They are dwarf seahorses (H. Zosterae)

The pipefish have all developed adult coloration now!

PXL_20201125_022734540.jpg

Have any of the sea horses survived? I have a 12 month established low flow Macroalgae tank with no filtration, a small 3gpm pump, and an air stone. I wonder if they would do well in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/24/2020 at 11:01 PM, arking_mark said:

I'm assuming you're going to sell these at some point. Please add me to the list of interested buyers.

Sure thing. I 'll let you know when they are ready. I'd estimate sometime in January or maybe early February. Right now they are about an inch. I'd like to get them closer to 2" before selling.

10 hours ago, therootcause said:

Have any of the sea horses survived? I have a 12 month established low flow Macroalgae tank with no filtration, a small 3gpm pump, and an air stone. I wonder if they would do well in there.

Yes, they are all still alive, but there were only 4 on the brood to begin with. They are dwarf seahorses which only get to be about 1-1.5" and basically only eat live foods. They require significant dedication to keep since you have to hatch artemia for them everyday. They would not do well in the average refugium.

Yes, they are all still alive, but there were only 4 on the brood to begin with. They are dwarf seahorses which only get to be about 1-1.5" and basically only eat live foods. They require significant dedication to keep since you have to hatch artemia for them everyday. They would not do well in the average refugium.

Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dmatt56 said:

Please let me know when you have a pair available. Thanks again!

I tried to PM you, but it's says you can't receive messages. I already sold about half of them, but I do have one more pair that is ready (and another pair that needs to grow out more).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/17/2021 at 7:07 PM, dmatt56 said:

Please let me know when you have a pair available. Thanks again!

Hi @dmatt56, I tried to send you a pm but it didn’t go through.  I wanted to ask you something about a previous coral sale you had.  Can you pm or text me @ 301-452-4004.  
Thanks,

daren 

On 1/17/2021 at 9:48 PM, ScooterTDI said:

I tried to PM you, but it's says you can't receive messages. I already sold about half of them, but I do have one more pair that is ready (and another pair that needs to grow out more).

Hey, sorry about that.  My membership lapsed and I had a full mailbox.  I'm back in business.  How long are they now?

Thanks again

Matt

• 3 months later...

This is pretty amazing!  The pipefish i bought from you is doing great.  Maybe I should get a female and try.  I am very impressed and appreciate you posting and sharing this info.

• 2 weeks later...

This is truly amazing! If you have sea horses or the pipefish that you are ready to sell I’m definitely interested in getting some! My one blue stripe needs a buddy! ?

• 1 year later...

I shut down my aquarium a while ago. I stopped breeding them after a couple of batches. Once I had a working protocol, it seemed fairly easy and the broodstock are quite prolific, but it just required a lot of time and attention. The biggest challenge is that the males start fighting once the get to be a little over an inch and require some kind of system to separate them until they grow out to a salable size. Unfortunately, they are small enough to get through most divider materials (except sponges) in a conventional small cube divided setup that you see at most petstores.