JJKK

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/13/2022 at 8:15 PM, ChrisTran said:

Great collection.  The OG PM and the HOTO are top of my wish list.

Thanks.  Glad to hear you are setting up a tank again.  I remembered you had an awesome Blastos collection.

Hope I can grow out the HOTO and PM.  But will probably be a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a water change yesterday on the side tank and cleaned the front glass panel.  My collection of long polyps toadstools(still searching for THE Weeping Willow) all opened up.  The only leather that didn't participate in this video is the yellow Fiji leather.  Maybe next time I will get all of them to have polyps extension.

• 1 month later...

Added a fish to the side tank!  Anyone have experience with a captive bred Regal Angel?  It is about an 1 inch long so I didn't want to put it in the main display.  It eats TDO pellets and picking off the pods on the rocks.  It may make me clean my glass more in the side tank.

Nice! Loving all the leathers. I will be curious to see how that Regal does, I have been considering one. I’m just worried about picking at corals etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, GOSKN5 said:

Nice! Loving all the leathers. I will be curious to see how that Regal does, I have been considering one. I’m just worried about picking at corals etc.

Thanks.   Are you thinking of a captive bred one?  The wild ones I have had only picked on zoas.

Will see if this guy will behave differently being captive bred.  I have a lot of copepods and amphipods in that tank.  I have been seeing him picking off the rocks.  I am hoping I am not training him to only eat live food.  LOL.

I was looking at the captive bred one, yes. Not sure I will get one as I love zoas and softies haha.

Thanks all.  The CB Regal Angel is awesome.  I have read on R2R that people have had issues keeping them because of how small they are.  Some don't make it after a few days.  I am glad I didn't just throw this guy to the main tank.

Speaking of the main tank, guess who is all bubbly?

20220627_120702.thumb.jpg.6a64944452a6e3906625bd3dd6147238.jpg

But, the CSB popped up in the middle of my torch garden, so I have to move a rock and cram alot of the torches together.  Using a powerhead to convince this guy to be bubbly somewhere else.  Maybe it is just mocking me before he burns up some torches to get back at me for cutting him twice.

20220627_122040.thumb.jpg.60ae5e4094e50907d061f782813b3a33.jpg

• 2 months later...

Didn't spend alot of time with the tank over the summer.  But now that summer is basically over, cleaned up the tank today and taking inventory on some of the growth.  The Copperband Butterfly mysteriously died overnight a few weeks ago.  I think the trachys are happier without the CBB picking at them randomly throughout the day.  They are big and puffy.  I am trying to decide if I want big puffy trachys and maybe move the Maxima clam from the side tank back to the main tank vs. getting a replacement CBB.

20220906_191751.thumb.jpg.31951a04bae788e0d070f099485fda64.jpg20220906_191742.thumb.jpg.59ac0de04233a1acf418a35fa388583a.jpg

Lots of growth in torches and some SPS also:

20220906_192804.thumb.jpg.ad0196b00beb447ea0545dfc84cf2344.jpg20220906_191954.thumb.jpg.010d73001a41495f67d72a3c960c61c2.jpg20220906_192153.thumb.jpg.21a0007cfc79c01da0b0954318b5f78f.jpg

Edited by JJKK

The 20lb CO2 in the CaRX ran out.  I have never cleaned it since running it for about 3 years.  I am actually going to shut it down for now and dose All For Reef with a Kamoer X1 Pro 2 pump.  It is much more simpler, cleaner setup.  I will see how stable it keeps my parameters.  Dosing about 25ml a day right now and keeping my ALK around 8.3.  The PH has also gone up too with the CaRX shutdown.  Getting up to 8.3 for peak of the day.  Also, with the weather in the low 80s, I am keeping a basement window open.  Here are some other corals from today that didn't fit in the last post:

20220906_192245.thumb.jpg.f570ccd925bdd9f5f6a0df0eedbbbccf.jpg20220906_191933.thumb.jpg.998c76a713045233471b59f0c04753ca.jpg20220906_192602.thumb.jpg.39533c94a05a39648129bbbc7ccaab47.jpg

20220906_194247.jpg

Wow! Only 25 ml a day? Everything is looking reaaaaallly good! I vote keep your clam and trachys sans butterfly.

6 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Wow! Only 25 ml a day? Everything is looking reaaaaallly good! I vote keep your clam and trachys sans butterfly.

Thanks.  Just started the All For Reef a couple of days ago.  They recommended 5ml per 100L to start.  So doing 25ml this week and see if it maintains the desired ALK level.  So far it has for the last 2 days.  We will see longer term, how it goes.

I am using the pre-mix 1000ml bottle.  Ordered the 1600g powder, which should last me more than a year if I am still only needing 25ml/day.  Need to find a reliable magnetic stirrer to mix up 1000ml batch at a time.

32 minutes ago, Ricksreeefs said:

Very nice pectinia. Did you get it from a Wamas member?

Thanks.  I got that piece from visiting Dr. Mac of Pacific East Aquaculture the summer of 2021.  I was motivated to get this rainbow pectinia after seeing a picture of it in @lynn.reef.nerd's tank.  Not sure if she still has some.

I will say that in my tank, I have not seen this pectinia throwing out any sweeper tentacles.  I used to have a Space Invader Pectinia and that thing was super aggressive with the # of tentacles and how long they were.  With a fairly packed tank now, I do appreciate corals that aren't always trying to kill others.  :) 

9 minutes ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

It was visiting Jim @telegraham for a while and now living with Mok-Yi @PupChow :laugh:

Wow.... that thing is going to be super resilient.  Well traveled, picking up all sorts of bacteria and nastys in all of your tanks.  :biggrin:

2 hours ago, JJKK said:

Thanks.  I got that piece from visiting Dr. Mac of Pacific East Aquaculture the summer of 2021.  I was motivated to get this rainbow pectinia after seeing a picture of it in @lynn.reef.nerd's tank.  Not sure if she still has some.

I will say that in my tank, I have not seen this pectinia throwing out any sweeper tentacles.  I used to have a Space Invader Pectinia and that thing was super aggressive with the # of tentacles and how long they were.  With a fairly packed tank now, I do appreciate corals that aren't always trying to kill others.  :) 

I have a small space invader far from other corals but a rainbow is on future list.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After the summer of neglect, I got my ICP test this week and the PO4 is at .42 and NO3 is around 21.5.  Slowly bringing down the PO4 now.  Boosted the tank with a few corals from Reef Nerd Aquatics and others.  Great selection and healthy corals from @lynn.reef.nerd.

20221108_181800.thumb.jpg.94b1d478379ae34efcd66dbbba2acd44.jpg

Here is a new scoly that goes crazy when I am broadcasting feeding frozen food:

Quick video of the current tank: