The Don't Tell My Main Tank That I Have A Side Tank Build

JJKK

It's no secret that my main tank(Red Sea Reefer 525XL with a basement sump) and I haven't been doing well lately.  There was the early summer NoPox experiment that ended with over 60% of my SPS RTN'd/STN'd.  My Regal Angel finally figured out zoas are yummy and have pretty much mowed down all but a small patch of Magician.  Now, I have a very overgrown Colorado Sunburst nem and Spogdode monti taking up over 1/3 of my tank.

A Red Sea Max 130 was my first foray into the reef life.  It was a used tank that I got back in 2015 as my main tank.  When I upgraded to a 525XL about 2 years ago, I used the RSM130 as a quarantine tank(no meds).  Now that I am pretty much done with adding fish to the 525XL, I am thinking of firing up the RSM130 as my second tank.  Not sure what I will do in terms of softies or mixed.  Definitely will house zoas as I miss them in the main tank.

Below is the main tank with all the issues mentioned above.

20200831_124809.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure what’s the best to write but I am kinda of dealing with the same problem. Some stuffs dying here and there but then I always tell myself that life is not all sunshine and rainbows. Also keep in mind that these corals are supposed to be living in the wild but now been host in a small confined area. I guess if we try our best and treat them with respect, if it doesn’t make it, then so be it!

I am running a 120g and just set up my side chick before the pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have already moved the rock with the monti into the RSM 130 and have started to deal with the nem.

The equipment that I have for the RSM130 are:

24" AquaticLife T5 Hybrid

AI 26HD(need to get a new power brick)

Jeboa SLW-10 for flow (should not have sold my MP10)

I have moved water from the main tank to the RSM130 from doing a couple of water changes over the last month.  Tonight, I hung the T5s for the monti rock.

20200917_212607.jpg

4 minutes ago, FishingandReefing said:

Not sure what’s the best to write but I am kinda of dealing with the same problem. Some stuffs dying here and there but then I always tell myself that life is not all sunshine and rainbows. Also keep in mind that these corals are supposed to be living in the wild but now been host in a small confined area. I guess if we try our best and treat them with respect, if it doesn’t make it, then so be it!

I am running a 120g and just set up my side chick before the pandemic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha.  Fellow cheatin reefer.

I have dealt with the monti rock.  About that nem.  Did every know that nems can have multiple feet?  I didn't.  I went to move a rock to assess what I was dealing with and I pretty much ripped the nem almost into 2 pieces.  Apparently, one foot was stuck to the rock that I just moved.  I can see exposed nem guts so I left it alone overnight and hoped that it would not impact its health.  The next day I pretty much manually separated the 2 nems so that I can put the smaller nem with its own rock in the RSM130 to recover.

It's been a week later and I am happy to report that the little guy recovered.  It has since been traded to a reefer friend.

20200905_201000.jpg

20200913_210956.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So after visiting different counselors(Nam and other reefing friends), me and my main tank are back in good grounds again.  I got the mother CSB colony off the rock and "planted" it in a terracotta planter.  I rearranged some ReefSaver branch rocks that have been in a brute trash can for probably a couple of months into the main tank.  Added some corals that I got recently and starting to love the main tank again.

20200922_130843.jpg

20200922_214613.jpg

20200922_202933.jpg

20200922_172238.jpg

20200926_124518.jpg

But I still plan on kicking back up the Red Sea Max 130D.  Have it running with the AI 26HD with the T5s.  Decided to go with sand since I am doing this as a reef tank vs. just holding frags.  Have some misc rocks that I have around along with 2 more pieces of branch Reef Savers to put in.

I have also cleaned up the LiterMeter III(LM3) pumps that I got and rebuilt them with new tubing and rollers.  The plan is to do an automatic water change setup between the 525XL, RSM130D and a saltwater container.  I am still figuring out how much water per day that I want to automate the LM3 to change out.  I was routinely doing 20 gallon every 2 weeks in the main tank.  Thinking 2g/day might be the equivalent of 20g every 2 weeks.

Actually, using this calculator:  Effective Water Change Calculator.  It is telling me 1.5g/day will change out about 98.36% of my water volume over 1 year vs. 98.5% change for 20g/2 weeks.  And for the RSM130D, changing 1.5g/day is equivalent to 27% water change after 1 week.

20200918_191640.jpg

20200922_213100.jpg

Edited by JJKK

Added 30lbs of CaribSea Reef Sand to the side tank.  I rinsed the sand in its bag fairly quickly with tap water.  Put in in the tank and it was very cloudy.  I just quickly placed the rocks back into the tank.  Without able to see inside the tank with the cloudiness, I just stacked the rocks.  I don't think the result looked too bad, but will spend some more time to rearrange the rocks once I can see inside clearly.

Over the weekend, I did take the time to clean the refugium section of the sump of the main tank.  I took the Jebao SLW-20 from the side tank for tumbling the cheato in the cleaned fuge.  Hopefully that continues to grow and make an impact on my phosphate and nitrate #s.

I do have an AI Nero 3 coming in the mail on Thursday that I will be using in the side tank.

20200929_220534.jpg

20200929_220841.jpg

The Nero 3 came in.  Small little package(no thicker than 1" for the pump itself and another 1/4" of a magnet for the wet side.  Claims to do 2000gph.  Plugged it in and can cycle between 4 speed and off by clicking on the single button on the attached control bar.  Was able to see it quickly in the MyAI app on my phone where I can set schedule for Constant, Pulse and Random mode throughout the day.  Also has a feed mode in the app.

The control bar color led lights up to indicate what mode the pump is in.  Green for Constant, Pulsing Blue light for Pulse and I assume Yellow/Orange for Random(Did not turn this mode on).

20201001_194409.thumb.jpg.1622d2dcb4fccc3ec0fdc4638f3733f4.jpg

20201001_195015.jpg

20201001_194657.jpg

20201001_194517.jpg

20201001_194422.jpg

(edited)

I sold the Tunze 9004 to another WAMAS member on Saturday and the "new" protein skimmer came in today.  I put new in quotes because this was an open boxed special but really because I had an Aquamaxx WS-1 before when the Red Sea Max 130D was my first tank.  I sold the WS-1 when I stood up the main tank and only used the RSM130D as a quarantine.  It is one of a few skimmer that performs well and fit in the back chamber of this AIO.  Here are some pics of it before it got wet.  I did a quick vinegar bath and put it in the side tank a couple of hours later.  It was foaming up right away.

My back-up plan, if I had to, was to keep the Tunze 9004 in the main display chamber.  But that would not allow me to put the net cover back over the tank.  I got 2 fishes coming this week.  Any guesses?

I did take advantage of AquariumDepot buy 1000 pods get 1000 free promo.  Reseeded the main tank as well as the side tank.

20201005_113315.jpg

20201005_113402.jpg

20201005_154026.jpg

20201005_194853.jpg

Edited by JJKK

Meanwhile.... back in the main tank.  Continue to rebuild the maintain with new corals.  Here is a quick video of one of the new torch that I got.  It is a Malaysian torch with Orange/Bronze Gold streaks and extra long tentacles.  It is a cool piece.  You can see how the tentacles compare with the Indo Green one.  Video also shows the Aussie Gold and a Gold Hammer.

23 hours ago, JJKK said:

I sold the Tunze 9004 to another WAMAS member on Saturday and the "new" protein skimmer came in today.  I put new in quotes because this was an open boxed special but really because I had an Aquamaxx WS-1 before when the Red Sea Max 130D was my first tank.  I sold the WS-1 when I stood up the main tank and only used the RSM130D as a quarantine.  It is one of a few skimmer that performs well and fit in the back chamber of this AIO.  Here are some pics of it before it got wet.  I did a quick vinegar bath and put it in the side tank a couple of hours later.  It was foaming up right away.

My back-up plan, if I had to, was to keep the Tunze 9004 in the main display chamber.  But that would not allow me to put the net cover back over the tank.  I got 2 fishes coming this week.  Any guesses?

I did take advantage of AquariumDepot buy 1000 pods get 1000 free promo.  Reseeded the main tank as well as the side tank.

20201005_113315.jpg

20201005_113402.jpg

20201005_154026.jpg

20201005_194853.jpg

Nice nano skimmer. I have a friend that is looking for a replacement for his Ghost piece of crap skimmer.

If the Aquamaxx WS-1 fits in your friend's nano, it works great.  Those little reverse funnels really chop up the water to create lots of bubbles.

The Tunze 9004 that I had in here worked pretty well too.  I just could not fit it in the back chamber of the RSM130D.  Good option too, it it fits.

So, the side tank is getting real with the first 2 fish inhabitants in there.  Still trying to figure out what I am going to do with the tank longer term.  Will it be a dumping ground for all the things that I frag off from the main tank?  Softies focus?  Right now, it is a counter to things that I can't keep in the main tank due to flow requirements or the fact that it will get eaten by the fish in the main tank, like zoas.  I noticed today that my Easter Egg Chalice was pretty much eaten over the course of today.  I don't know if it is the Regal Angel or the Foxface, but that's another coral that belongs in the side tank.  I have seen my Foxface nibbled on acans as well.

Here is what I am going with for the scape.  I have some close-ups of some of the corals that are already in there.  Finally, some pics of the Pink Streak Wrasse and one of the biggest Fathead Sunburst Anthias I've seen.  It is already 3" long.  If it eats enough and bold enough, I may move him to the main tank later.

20201007_200553.jpg

20201007_190833.jpg

20201007_190849.jpg

20201007_190905.jpg

20201007_190357.jpg

20201007_201449.jpg

20201007_201451.jpg

I placed a few drops of ReefNutritions ROE in the tank for the new fish.  I did see the Fathead taking some nibbles from the safety of the cave:

About an hour later, I saw it out and about.  Sorry the video is a bit grainy as I was at 5x zoom from about 12 feet away from the tank.  The last 7 sec is clearer.  But this is a good sign for a normally shy fish for being about 24 hours since added to the tank.

The fathead is pretty much out and about and eating mysis and more importantly, pellets.  Since he came in pretty big, I have decided to move him to the main tank.

Shhhh....be very very quiet....

20201013_204234.jpg

I have had the Tankmatez fish trap in there for a couple of days.  The little guy likes to go in to look at himself.  There is a "mirror"(more like a reflective plastic piece) in the trap.  I tried to pull the trigger once and he popped out of the top because I had too much air in the trap and it slowed down the trap from going vertical quickly.  Will try again tomorrow.

20201015_163538.jpg

Had to bring out the big gun.  The fathead was too quick for the Tankmatez trap.  Got him and brought him up to the main tank to acclimate and let him see the aquascape with the lights on.  I will release the fathead tonight after the lights are out.  Hopefully the tangs and Regal Angel leave him alone.  The tangs didn't really notice him in the acclimation box.  The Regal did go in for further investigation.  I got mirrors prepared in case I need to deploy to deflect aggression.

20201017_171825.jpg

20201017_192441.jpg

So the first night was a bit dicey for the Fathead in the main tank.  The 2 main cave structures are claimed by a Whitetail Bristletooth Tang(Left tower) and the Purple Tang(Right side with the newly created branches).  The Sunburst got ping ponged between the two sides last night and had to settle for sleeping next to the lower left front rock, exposed(see flashlight pic).  I am monitoring him to make sure he is not getting bullied during the day.  I left the acclimation box in the tank in case he has to run back in as a safe haven.  I turned it upside down so he can get back in there.

What's important is that he continues to be eating the same things that I have fed him when he was in the side tank.  So, the no lost of appetite is a good sign.  I have a Eufy cam pointed to the tank.  Here is a recent video of him getting out to the other side more.  I do like that he is out and about pretty much the whole time vs. hiding in caves.  Hopefully he can still feel comfortable in the main tank while pretty much exposed to the elements at night and during the day.

20201017_234103(1).jpg

20201018_194316.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, beautiful collection of stuff. I suspect your regal is probably the culprit for the munched corals, as well as any possible aggression, but just a sneaky suspicion. 

Love the torch collection. 

• 1 year later...

So, the main tank is rocking along(knocking on wood).  The side tank is just a refuge for the clams from a Copperband that would pick at them and home for the various "weeping willow" toadstool that I have purchased in hope of finding the right one.  A couple of other odds and ends in here as well that do not fit the aesthetics of the main tank.  Haven't decided if I want to keep a real 2nd tank or just keep this as a mashup side tank.

FTS:

20220128_180858.thumb.jpg.4a18bcc625f62ee94425a2ece64b7614.jpg

20220128_180907.thumb.jpg.eec02eef23288145e64cb0f7783d3c94.jpg

20220128_181242.thumb.jpg.3b707137e3d294f19a48a53e428481db.jpg

20220128_180940.thumb.jpg.7c0e1a9c1df4d301174d68b16b06fe65.jpg