Marine Scene Disappointment

Guest mkprice

LOL I called dibs on the naive customers with endless bank accounts!

=Byron

Oh and Sean your website is down. :biggrin:

What did you do Byron! :eek:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I wuv my itsy bitsy little pod, but don't need the ones in the bottle. I do, however, have these magic beans I'll trade for a queen angel :-).

i've heard good things about www.oceanpods.com but i believe they aren't sold by retailers, just through that company. the site also has a great guide to culturing copepods.

They were bought out of stock, not a special order. The box had never been opened, and they were bought within a couple of weeks of returning them.

Michele

I'm not defending MS - but your first post made it sound like the lights were taken back the next day, now this post says it was a "couple of weeks" from date of purchase before being returned. Thus, a possible reason why they got hard time on return.

Guest mkprice

Checked with Anne last night - she took the lights back 4 days/3 business days after purchase, I couldn't remember when I was posting yesterday.

Even so, say it were 2 weeks - good customer service says if the box wasn't opened and the lights weren't broken, you should accept them on return. They lost two reasonably good customers. Not that we spend thousands every visit, but I almost always bought a little something when I went in. Especially with the store credit from the corals I brought, plus they sold those corals at a profit!

Oh well, I'll stick with F&F (haven't been there yet but this gives me the incentive) and BRK. Wally's very kindly said they would be interested in my xenia and GSP's, so things are good here :-).

Checked with Anne last night - she took the lights back 4 days/3 business days after purchase, I couldn't remember when I was posting yesterday.

Even so, say it were 2 weeks - good customer service says if the box wasn't opened and the lights weren't broken, you should accept them on return. They lost two reasonably good customers. Not that we spend thousands every visit, but I almost always bought a little something when I went in. Especially with the store credit from the corals I brought, plus they sold those corals at a profit!

Oh well, I'll stick with F&F (haven't been there yet but this gives me the incentive) and BRK. Wally's very kindly said they would be interested in my xenia and GSP's, so things are good here :-).

check out F&F, they definitely have different stuff than BRK. the two complement each other nicely.

I'm not defending MS - but your first post made it sound like the lights were taken back the next day, now this post says it was a "couple of weeks" from date of purchase before being returned. Thus, a possible reason why they got hard time on return.

I am not defending MS... but here is my point of view, perhaps there policy on return for electornic equipment is for within 24 hours of purchase or something like that. Now I agree with you that this should be stippulated on the receipt or contract. But based on your information is not. ON the other hand; Most electronic stores will take electronic equipment back within 30 days of purchase if the item has not been open. Others will not take the items back at all... althought they could and if deffective they can send it back to manufacturer for warranty. It is a standard practice for most small retailers of electronic parts.

perhaps there policy on return for electornic equipment is for within 24 hours of purchase or something like that.

Nah, I think anything less than 2 weeks is unreasonable.

Why 2 weeks? Beause I think that is reasonable! :wink:

Guest purple_stardust

I'm really surprised to read this thread, as I've had nothing but good experiences with Marine Scene. I actually bypass a lot of stores in my immediate area and drive about an hour to shop at MS, specifically because of the exemplary customer service I've gotten there in the past.

I'm really surprised to read this thread, as I've had nothing but good experiences with Marine Scene. I actually bypass a lot of stores in my immediate area and drive about an hour to shop at MS, specifically because of the exemplary customer service I've gotten there in the past.

I agree with you stardust...if it weren't for MS (mostly Tom) spending countless hours with me explaining the concepts of a salt water tank, I'd still be feeding my Oscars goldfish every weekend. I've never infected my tank (I have no quarantene system) with any livestock I've purchased there. Or had to kill aiptasia on any rock that I've picked up.

I even get some sort of "frequent-purchase" discount at the register...although I'm not quite sure how it's calculated...but think it's based on the amount of $ I've spent at MS over the years. I know MS is not the cheapest place around (we all know the internet can be the cheapest way to get items), but I have had nothing but great service from Tom and Melissa.

I also thank Tom (and Ben) for helping me get the 500 gallon tank I'm currently setting up, from one of his customers.

Going up to Herndon on a weekend is a fun family trip...we hit the bakery across the parking lot for breakfast, visit my favorite pinball store a few doors down (which I highly recommend to anyone who is into pinball or air hockey or other arcade items - I usually can't get my kids out of there because all their games are set on free play) then pick up something I need at Marine Scene before heading home.

From what I can tell, they are setting up a couple of frag tanks - I assume with the intention of offering more variety, but also growing frags on their own or taking trades, in lieu of taking from the ocean.

I enjoy going to MS, trust their livestock, and will continue to recommend them.

My 2 cents...

-Carl

How long have you worked there?

Guest purple_stardust

Carl - I will look for that bakery (and maybe that arcade store!) next time! We have a small child, so it's usually an in-and-out- trip, but now that she's getting older (and loves video games!), some detours would be fun! =D

Flowerseller - I'm not sure how long you've been using the internets, but there's a neat site called mapquest: www.mapquest.com. If you type in my town (WINCHESTER, VA) and where Marine Scene is located (HERNDON, VA), you will see that there's about an hour drive, there. What sort of wages do you think MS pays, that someone could afford to drive an hour (twice) with gas this expensive? If they DO pay that much, I'll certainly put in an application!

Flowerseller - I'm not sure how long you've been using the internets, but there's a neat site called mapquest:

There's more than one internet?

I gotta get out more often.

This is not the first time MS has not backed up itself or it's products.

The bottom line here is they can take back whatever they choose.

I've know of Tom long before he opened his store, somethings don't change.

Okay, this thread is about done. Any more and it will be closed.

This is a tough call for me because I want this board to be open, and not one that locks down on restricting posters opinions. However, I think this tread is turning down a path we don't need to venture down.

Guest Yomeister66

You heard the man....you're all on double secret probation!!

Otter: But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

[Leads the Deltas out of the hearing, all humming the Star-Spangled Banner]

:biggrin: :biggrin: :bounce:

You heard the man....you're all on double secret probation!!

Otter: But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

[Leads the Deltas out of the hearing, all humming the Star-Spangled Banner]

:biggrin: :biggrin: :bounce:

LOL

Guest BrentRowley

Well,

I can say this about Marine Scene....

Melissa is alot better to look at than I am.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

-Byron

I have never been to MS but I well state that my wallet is blind. However my sense of pride and consumer dignity is not. I am grateful for this thread because now I know not to waste my gas checking out this store. How hard would it be to state the return policy on electronics(especially $700 lights) before a purchase. I have been told to buy MH before as well for my tank. I only keep soft corals and a few LPS. I knew better than to listen but it was never the less bad advice given in hopes of a big sale. For those of you who like this store keep shopping at it. I have met too many honest vendors to put up with something like that. I always ask the return policy on a big purchase as well because I am a little paranoid. The return policy should be posted and leave no room for questions or doubts. Anything less is dishonest IMO. Rember nothing votes louder than your $!

Guest mkprice

I know Gator that you said no more posts, but I have to buy Yomeister a tall one for the comedy factor. :cheers:

One of the best quotes I've read in a while and just what was needed...

A classic movie if there ever was one and now that I stop and think...the comparison of WAMAS to Animal House....hmmmm.....

Michele

• 2 weeks later...

In general, it's not the economic choice to purchase drygoods from an LFS.

In fact, I hate going to any LFS ever. I've been sorely disappointed in cleanliness (and smell), selection, prices on livestock and drygoods, health of livestock, and customer service.

Buy drygoods online or used from fellow reefers.

• 1 month later...

I've had a mixed experience with the Marine Scene. Some of their staff have flat out failed the 'stupid questions' I ask just to see their responses. Others have been extremly helpful.

However, I'd much rather give my money to F&F or BRK.

they wouldn't honor the WAMAS discount even though her daughter was a member (with membership card in hand) because she wasn't on the official list yet.

There was something about that a couple of years ago. I do not remember the exact details but I believe Marine Scene wanted additional information from members to be able to get the WAMAS discount. I dont remember exactly what it was but I think email address, phone number, mailing address, etc. I believe that the people who wanted to sign up and get the discount provided the information (the official list) and the people who did not want to provide the information were no eligible for the discount, not sure how long it has been since that was updated or even if the same plan is in place at Marine Scene.

As far as the rest of this thread, nothing new. Things have been the same since I first joined WAMAS. The people who want to shop there should do so and the people who dont want to have options :-)

Edited by SDBDRZ

This is a tough call for me because I want this board to be open, and not one that locks down on restricting posters opinions. However, I think this tread is turning down a path we don't need to venture down.

I agree with the prez on this one and the only thing I would add: Marine Scene is what it is, take it or leave it.

BeatDeadHorse.gif

I agree with the prez on this one and the only thing I would add: Marine Scene is what it is, take it or leave it.

I believe (hope) the Prez was referring to the personal attacks in the earlier posts in the thread and not civil discussion about a vendor. I was merely trying ot give some input on the discount issue since it had not been addressed.

We should either be able to discuss the good AND the bad about vendors, or not discuss them at all :wink:

I believe (hope) the Prez was referring to the personal attacks in the earlier posts in the thread and not civil discussion about a vendor. I was merely trying ot give some input on the discount issue since it had not been addressed.

We should either be able to discuss the good AND the bad about vendors, or not discuss them at all :wink:

As a general rule, once a thread has devolved to the level where a moderator/officer has to step in and remind people to be civil, its a good idea to just drop the thread. If you have further constructive opinions on the vendor, then by all means start a new thread. Additionally, the issue of discounts at MS is not germane to the topic of this thread. So, again you are free to discuss their discount policy or lack thereof, just do it in a new thread and let this one die.

Thanks,

BB