Get rid of green mushrooms-HELP

Maria-Elena

There really is no way that I know of except for replacing the rock or taking it out and chipping off the mushrooms. 

Nothing eats them and nothing kills them other then air.  And they multiple like rabbits. 

They're prolific and persistent.  I've had some success keeping them in check by reaching into the tank and cutting the disks off, or tearing them off with forceps.  Then put an aggressive sweeper nearby like euphylia or galaxia.  But that just slows them down; it doesn't eradicate them because they leave a little bit of tissue behind and rise like a phoenix,

If you can remove the rock, that's by far the best solution.

1 hour ago, Jon Lazar said:

They're prolific and persistent.  I've had some success keeping them in check by reaching into the tank and cutting the disks off, or tearing them off with forceps.  Then put an aggressive sweeper nearby like euphylia or galaxia.  But that just slows them down; it doesn't eradicate them because they leave a little bit of tissue behind and rise like a phoenix,

If you can remove the rock, that's by far the best solution.

Good advise. someone will want them if you can trade out for other rocks.

They are invasive and I'll be sure to never put a mushroom (unless its a bounce or jawbreaker) in my next build.  They are all but impossible to kill.  Even when you scrape one off you'll leave a tiny crumb on the rock and it will grow back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Majano wand that shoots a small electric current through the tip, something like a taser. It's for aiptasia but with a little persistence it will kill mushrooms. You can borrow mine if you'd like. I think I paid $20 for it when Paul B, who invented it, gave a talk at a meeting some years back. You can buy it from Marine Depot, perhaps other places. There's also aptasia-gone or something similar: with a syringe you can inject it into the mushrooms mouth and that will also do the job after a little while. I prefer the wand, no chemicals. 

When I made this mistake, I had to take the rocks out and scraped each off the rock with a screwdriver, making sure to take a little rock with it. It'll take several passes, but you will be able to get them all.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you very much to all of you for your responses. I don't know if I will be able to find the same kind of rock I have for a similar landscape (let me know if someone has this kind of rock). This is what I have in my tank: 40lbs of pukani and tonga shelf live rock. This started as dry rock and has been seeded new. No bad hitchhikers. 

I would like to try to get rid of them first with a screwdriver or with the Majano wand (if I can borrow it from Mark), or if someone wants the mushrooms can help to scrap them off. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Any luck with the wand? Tried raising the Mg for the bryopsis? I should say, in my experience when I raised my Mg to about 1600 I recall the bryopsis dying off within a week. Probably wouldn't hurt to do frequent water changes when that happens.