Really frustrated, can't catch clown goby

maevepotter

I think I'm going to have to take everything out of my tank to get this guy. It's killed 2 acropora and looks like it's starting on two more. Any suggestions?? Other than believe the darn spec sheet on the species when it says they can cause considerable damage to "smaller colonies" and don't buy one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah! Some fish are almost impossible  to catch.

Have you try bottle trap?

or

Find something it’s attracted to and put that inside a fish trap to try to lure it into the trap.

or

use clear netting and tied it to two stick and have someone try cornering it using te

he netting then net it out.

or try hook and fish line.

last resort is to quickly drain your tank,  catch it and refill your tank.

Those little gobies don't live a long time. How long have you had it? Maybe it will die of old age before you can catch it.

Edited by treesprite

They live a few years.  Mine spawned on all my large heads of acropora and killed all of them.  Very hard to catch

You can see her eggs above her here.  

2014-04-02150638_zps37912997.jpg

1 hour ago, paul b said:

They live a few years.  Mine spawned on all my large heads of acropora and killed all of them.  Very hard to catch

You can see her eggs above her here.  

2014-04-02150638_zps37912997.jpg

A couple of years ago I read some research article about goby lifespans that put the max for all gobies at 2 years. I tried to find on the net again after I commented,  but couldn't locate the article. I can't remember any details, just the life spans being that short.

I've had gobies damage corals in the past. They aren't as bad as mithrax crabs plucking off polyps.

Edited by treesprite

They live a lot longer than that.  Maybe 5 years.  Mine are older than two now.  And my watchmans lived to 12 years.  I don't know who wrote that. 

Edited by paul b

(edited)

This goby is prolific. They do actually eat polyp's slime and irritate it enough to kill it. It ate the entire red robin, not due to egg laying, and it's gotten a good start on several others. 

It's new to the tank. The really horrible part is, is that this is the second goby. I got it to potentially mate with the other, and it killed the other one that was perfectly happy to live in my big leather coral doing no harm. :( 

Edited by maevepotter

That sucks! Get it over with and pull out all the rock and catch the bugger. I had to do that recently and it was wort it. 

Do you need to borrow a fish trap?  Not sure of location, but I have a large one. 

Edited by BtmDweller

Do you need to borrow a fish trap?  Not sure of location, but I have a large one. 
That's very nice. I'm in Kensington/Rockville, MD. I do not have a trap. I'm just not sure this little idiot will even use one, since it doesn't seem interested in eating anything but sps. I did try making my own with a bottle and plastic baggie baffle with sps inside but it didn't seem interested and I was worried leaving it too long might kill the sps from lack of flow.

The large box traps seem to work its easier to get them in. If they don't eat more a challenge, but if they stay with other fish may follow them in.  Im pretty far from you. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 12:46 AM, maevepotter said:

Update: I've caught the goby! Now who wants him?

Not me. LOL. Congrats on getting the devil out.