Where to get healthy fish?

nburg

Finally got my Red Sea Reefer 450 back up and need to add some more fish. 

Either locally or online, where is a quality place to get fish? Some of the online stores I used to use no longer have the best reputation.  

Where is local? Iv had very good experience with Reef Escape, Supreme Reefs, and Centerville Aquarium. Centerville has a larger inventory or fish but not corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(edited)

I’m in downtown DC so somewhere somewhat local. I don’t want to drive too far out to not have healthy stock, but will if I have to. 

Edited by nburg

Reef escape escape is in Fairfax. They quarantines there live stock before putting them in the sell tanks and they have been good with fulfilling live orders. There prices I’ve found to be slightly higher but I feel it’s worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, nburg said:

I’m in downtown DC so somewhere somewhat local. I don’t want to drive too far out to not have healthy stock, but will if I have to. 

I feel you. I lived in the U Street neighborhood for 18 years and felt physically disconnected, ironically being right in DC, from WAMAS because so many members are outside the beltway. I used to buy fish from other members or Roozen's but mostly online. I believe Roozens is closed now. I've been "dry" (no tanks) for about 8 years, just getting back in now, and I moved closer to the burbs -- Takoma DC -- but still not in suburban VA where you have more LFS choice. So there is Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring. Not sure how convenient that is for you or if they are open during the pandemic. They've been around forever. Others include Wet Pets or you can google "local fish store near me". Good luck.

I could see the feel of isolation, VA and MD people probably don't want to venture in, and DC people don't like venturing out of the city. 

I would consider reef escape, no issue paying more for quality, but I will end up QTing them anyways, so might as well not pay for that service. How much more expensive are we talking? like 20% more than typical, or double price? I have seen online sites that claim to QT sell for over double. 

If I can't find what I'm looking for at a LFS, I've had good experience with LiveAquaria Diver's Den. Their regular fish selection are not quarantined and I've head negative reviews about it, but their Diver's Den items are and I've never had a bad experience with them. 

(edited)

I believe Tropical Lagoon is open. A friend said last week that she was going there to pick up a tang they said they had in stock. I think they use copper in the FO tanks.  The owner has been known to do some bartering, if you have a needed service.

Edited by treesprite

Tropical Lagoon IS open.  Last week the only stipulation was for there to be no more than 3 in your party (if I’m not mistaken).

As for the fish (and coral), they’re my to-go spot.  The fish are always healthy and eager to eat.  Though the store isn’t huge by any means, they do an exceptional job managing the livestock as he always seem to have what I need when I need it.  The corals are also healthy and open up as soon as they enter my tank.  

I avoid DC like a plague so I rarely drive south. I've had good luck with fish from Fintastic. They sell out quick though, so I always try to make it there when shipment comes. Sometimes if you call and prepaid, they can save the fish until you can make it. The two awesome ladies that work there are the best.

The closer one to me is House of Tropicals. Their pricing is a bit higher than fintastic but good selection on shipment days.

Of course, both will need to be qt'ed.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Another vote for Reef escape. All fishes are quarantined for 2 weeks in a well developed protocol. They are a WAMAS sponsor and have a clever COVID-19 protocol for curbside pickup.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 2:57 AM, DFR said:

Tropical Lagoon IS open.  Last week the only stipulation was for there to be no more than 3 in your party (if I’m not mistaken).

As for the fish (and coral), they’re my to-go spot.  The fish are always healthy and eager to eat.  Though the store isn’t huge by any means, they do an exceptional job managing the livestock as he always seem to have what I need when I need it.  The corals are also healthy and open up as soon as they enter my tank.  

Hi, do you know what the quarantine protocol is at Tropical Lagoon (if they have one)?

I'm wondering how we find out about other LFS QT protocols as well -- how long they keep the fish before making available to sell, what systems they use for QT, how much observation, what medications, etc.

I don’t think he actually quarrantine his livestock.  You could see bags floating in the tanks after shipments come in.  I never thought to ask after seeing that.  But as Forest alluded, it isn’t far fetched to believe that his fish systems are medicated.  I’ll probably swing by there sometime in the next couple days so I’ll ask if medications are used.

Most LFS owners and employees are also hobbyists so just ask the next time you visit.  I’m sure they’ll be happy to talk you through what they do. 

20 hours ago, Steve G said:

Hi, do you know what the quarantine protocol is at Tropical Lagoon (if they have one)?

I'm wondering how we find out about other LFS QT protocols as well -- how long they keep the fish before making available to sell, what systems they use for QT, how much observation, what medications, etc.

I believe Reef Escape has a minimum of 2 weeks quarantine with copper and also other internal/external medications. Maybe someone else can provide something more detailed. They have a few tanks with fish that are waiting to complete quarantine where you can see the fish and reserve them but can not take them home until their protocol is completed.

Tropical lagoon has several medicated tanks with copper as I recall, and then the ones on either ends with inverts and corals are not medicated. They are honest with you when you ask about if a fish is not ready to go home. I tend to try to pick from the unmedicated tank but I've seen very good specimens in the other tanks as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you qt yourself then just use divers den. Money back guarentee can’t be beat and the fish are fine. None of the local stores will have much fish stock right now that I am aware of. 

Reef eScape has what I was looking for and I was in the area picking up frags. I got a nice looking Kole Tang and Royal Gramma. 

I definitely will go back to get more once they’re out of a quick QT (since they prophylactically  treat). 

thanks for the recommendations