Split WTB/FS forum?

Steve G

Should we split the WTB/FS forum into live/dry goods?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should we split the WTB/FS forum into live/dry goods?

• Yes, split the forum into live goods and dry good for sale/wtb
    • No, keep the forum the way it is.

(edited)

Hi all,

I noticed that the Want-to-but/for-sale forum mixes live goods with dry goods and as someone looking for one and not the other, it's less than ideal. Would it be hard to split the forum like ReefCentral does?

(My peeve with RC is they need to split local pickup items from shippable ones. I hate wasting my time reading something that tends in "pickup in Houston only" or whatever!)

Edited by Steve G
Edited to add a poll, because I always wondered how polls work.

I think that the Buy/Sell/Trade forum is probably the fastest moving WAMAS forum, but I don't think it's fast enough that it warrants a split. Usually the titles also have enough description to know as well. 

I agree with Isaac, we don’t quite have the traffic/posts to which that would be a better implementation (even with the increased volume seen lately due to the virus).  Plus everyone here is generally “local” to the DMV.

I personally like having one place for everything. I wouldn’t always click if things were separated and even if I’m not in the market for something doesn’t mean I won’t buy it if I see it for a great deal.  

I personally like having one place for everything. I wouldn’t always click if things were separated and even if I’m not in the market for something doesn’t mean I won’t buy it if I see it for a great deal.  

I agree here. While I don’t watch this forum as part of my hobby ‘fix’, I like that I can go to one place to see all that’s for sale in one thread. I used to do the same at R2R but I didn’t like the split forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on the other side. Would love to see those two split. Seeing radions and sea swirls when I just want to burn $ on coral is just clutter.

Lol. I am tired of scrolling through frag sales on my way to equipment I need to set up a tank. The WTB/FS forum is different than most because every thread needs photos, so they are hard to scroll through. In fact a forum is a bad format for selling and trading compared to something where you can sort and filter, but I can see why we do it.

Lol. I am tired of scrolling through frag sales on my way to equipment I need to set up a tank. The WTB/FS forum is different than most because every thread needs photos, so they are hard to scroll through. In fact a forum is a bad format for selling and trading compared to something where you can sort and filter, but I can see why we do it.

I dunno man, on one hand I can kind of see what you are saying, but on the other, it’s like, sorry you have to maybe see 3 posts a day you might have not clicked otherwise?

I guess to answer your original question, yes, it would be way too much work to adjust that for what it is.

We debated similar issues in the past but adding additional forums was always an issue.  If you look at how many we already have it gets quite difficult to scan the entire page.  Plus, there are quite a few invisible forums for most of us so to the admin group the list is even longer.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Looks like the voting is 7-6 for splitting, but the commenters like it how it is. Also, I don't run the site so I am not the one who would have to implement it. For now I will just scroll through all those pretty frag ads that I cannot act upon! (Tank still not set up).

I prefer it the way it is. I like browsing through the board just to see what's there, hoping perhaps that there will be an opportunity I wasn't expecting. It's easier to do that when equipment and corals are all on the same list. Also I think it is easier for people who are doing a breakdown sale, to put everything in one post.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:29 PM, KingOfAll_Tyrants said:

if anything, wtb and fs should be split, so it's easier to find the former..........

I agree with this for the reason that I find it annoying when people don't even indicate fs or wtb in the thread title.