Non-Member not going to join...

Pat_13

I am new to this hobby and have met some great people so far and I was interested in meeting some of your members before joining your club, BUT

I can only speak for myself but that doesn't seem like a fair assessment. The cost of membership is only $20. I joined and had saved more than the membership fee the first week. Unfortunately in order to keep a club like this going and as good as it is you need money.......and that's what we get from the membership fee. In a hobby like this, $20 is a drop in the bucket and you will most certainly get more than that out of it before you know it.

The tone of your posting seems to indicate that you are casting judgement on the members of the club as a result of a posting being moved. Until you know why the posting is moved, why make disparaging remarks about the club as a whole?

pat ,

i spent 20 $ and found out hydrometers are pieces of junk :wink: .....saved me the cost of memebership just by having piece of mind that i have now, that i got a refractometer.

join the club and have fun!!!!!!!!

Bryan

I am sorry you feel that way pat. You are missing out on a great club. You may feel like a food party is not a group buy, but most of the things that go into the food are either purchased as a group in bulk or members buy things on there own and share with the group. Splitting the cost. Just another benfit of being a member.

I moved the post as in the past they were for members only, it is very similar to a group build.

I have nothing against your club and $20 is not much but I like to know some members before joining. If I can

I think that even if you dont find a few memebers you can relate to, that for $20 there is alot of advise people can offer you and find people willing to bend over backwards even if you cant relate to them. IMO i dont think someone this small should make you feel so sour against the club as a whole. Pay $20, make some food, meet some great people and everyone is happy :biggrin:

Pat,

We're sorry to hear that you feel that way about the club as a whole. We're sure you would understand the reasoning for the post being moved once the whole story is out.

We, like you, was a bit hesitant about joining the club because we live out in Western VA, which is about an hour or more away from the majority of gathers and happenings. In fact, we have yet to make it to a tank tour or meeting but are hoping that changes soon. Luckily we have managed to meet a few very nice people which in itself would be worth the $20 ten times over. We won't even get into the $100s of dollars that have probably been saved from helpful advice and local trading/selling. It is well worth it in our eyes and we've only experienced a small portion of what it has to offer.

We hope that you change your mind and become part of the club.

Scott & Brandi

I was in the same situation as you before I joined. I didn't know anyone in the group but when I attended an event (as a non-member), I was impressed by the people there. I've gotten really good advise and some have even shared frags and equipment. Just a quick example, I was having ballast problems last week so I posted that I wanted to buy one quick. Instead of people taking advantage, I had members offer their ballast for free. This group is really great and you'll see it when you attend the next event.

Someone in that food party let Pat know when it is. Let him contribute. Extending a few niceties will only help in the long run. While agreeing with the move, please keep him in the loop.

... then flog him for his $20 at the party. :biggrin: kidding...

But the only way people find out about and organize these gatherings in through this boards, and the boards cost $$. That plain and simple. There's some analogy about a cow and free milk here that should not apply. Pat, I hope you do help us grow and join sometime soon.

Pat-

I'm also in MD, albeit in Bethesda, so I'm a little bit more accessible to you, and to NoVA, but I too, was initially frustrated with the (seeming) center of the club being in NoVA.

However, when you take a look at the area, and where the really great LFS's are (not that there aren't great ones all over), they do seem to concentrate around the NoVA area. Personally, I just make a list, and go down there a few times a month on saturdays to buy stuff. Stops me from impulse buying. Kind of. :-D

I too have felt in the past (although I joined immediately, I'll address that in a minute) that some of the group builds/parties were cliquish, and inaccessible to those of us with smaller tanks, who lived elsewhere, or who were (in my case) younger. HOWEVER... This is an impression that I received solely from reading and misunderstanding things on this board, and it is TOTALLY incorrect.

I went to the meeting in February, and while I warmed up to the club a little, I still got the feeling of being an outsider, despite having been posting for about a month. That all changed when I went to Chip's (flowerseller) tank tour/social after the party. I was warmly welcomed into his home and reef, and had a great time, and made some great friends. It may take 1 instance of being brave, and just pushing forward, but it's worth it.

On the whole, the people I've met in this club, are far and away the nicest, most giving people I've met in the DC area in general. They are always ready with advice, suggestions, offers of help, and great deals.

And on that note. The 20.00 is worth the price of admission ALONE for the buy/sell section. I saved hundreds of dollars the first WEEK alone that I was a member, buying used equipment from WAMAS members, and made some great trades as well. You also get discounts at many DC area stores, which is more savings.

Like I said, I too, felt a bit of an outsider at first, but just give WAMAS a chance, you won't be disappointed.

By the way, any time you want to come see my setup, just shoot me an email. I'm 30 seconds off the beltway and 270 in Bethesda. I know it's only a 58, but I've put a lot of time and work into it (guided by the WAMAS veterans) and I'm really pleased with the result. We can also do a frag swap if you're so inclined. I love to meet fellow refers. My roommates just don't geek out like we do.

Anyway, I hope you'll decide to stay with WAMAS and give this great club a second chance!

Hi Pat, the best way to be connected and feel closer to the action is to join the club. I was 'new to the hobby' and would not have lasted in the hobby unless I had the support of the WAMAS group. We can't do anything about where you live or where anyone lives but we can bring you countless years of experience at a moments notice. We would welcome your knowledge contribution and I speak from experience that the membership fee will be paid back many times over.

By the way, we have a posting of member locations - "Where do you live?". Maybe you will find members closer to you.

Rudy

The club's center of gravity seems to be in Virginia outside the beltway, but don't be discouraged by that. There is a large crew of Marylanders and even some of us in DC. The bond of having similar interests -- you might say perverse interests, who else would take day off work to accept a shipment of crabs and snails? -- creates fast friendships. Membership is well worth it.

Pat

I had this really good reply before my network went down and now I can't access the network by my PC. So by my Blackberry and these tiny keys:

Was nice to meet you during the tanktour and wish I could 100% say which of the 40 folks there you where but as the group has spoken!

JOIN and have fun!

Don't sweat the small stuff and relax due to an Admin regulation!

Besides, If we gave away all of our SECRETS at once, it wouldn't be 1/2 as fun! ;D

Howard

PS Where you the one that I gave the $10 spot to pretend to talk with me?? :)

Others have provided information to the value of the club, but to answer you question about it being moved it is mainly because addresses and cell phone numbers etc, are freely posted in the member area. I think it was a very generous offer to volenteer your house for a group party. One of the benefits of doing a group food party is it is cheaper. Lots o people bring stuff and share. IMO you could probably save $20 by going to a food party. And if you hosted it as a member I am pretty sure you could be exempt from adding food because you were providing the location.

FYI. Just last week I was talking to someone who had joined the boards but not paid the membership fee yet. He was asking me about drilling a tank. I suggested that if he joined the club I would drill his tank for free just as I would with any member of this club. I would not do this for a casual visiter of this site and no doubt that easily will pay his cost of membership.

That is funny you think that most members live in NOVA, I live in NOVA and think most members live in MD :lol: . The grass is alway greener I guess.

Dan

It also took me a year to join and as an educator, it only costs me $10. That said, the club has been phenomenal, even before I joined. People with new tanks get free frags and to say that the club has helped my educational initiative with reef tanks in the classrooms is understating that to an extreme. I have had tanks, equipment, and livestock donated from HowardofNova, DaveJBeasley, ErikS, dbartco, jarosh, sugar magnolia, Caribbean Jake, Rocko, Lee Stearns, extreme tooth decay, Martin, Stank, the list goes on and on (I apologize if I have not mentioned you and there's a ton of you!). I told my principal just the other day that if I for all of the stuff that has been donated these members have saved the school well in excess of $10,000.

It's amazing that a lot of this also came without me even asking (OK, I have done my fair share of begging!). The point is, there are a lot of good people out there and it seems like you are probably one of them as well. Just like American Express says, membership has its priviliges. It's worth the money, don't be offended by something that happened. It's not a reflection of the people of the club or the attitude of the club. RC is somewhere that is elitist in its approach at times because of the members and the way they deal with each other, this club is not. Join, you won't regret it.

Just like most everyone else, I was a bit leary of joining. But the $20 is worth the For Sale and Group Buy sections alone... Also being that it's a local club, people here are genuinely out to help.

Just like most everyone else, I was a bit leary of joining. But the $20 is worth the For Sale and Group Buy sections alone... Also being that it's a local club, people here are genuinely out to help.

Hey I was the one who started the food thread in the first place, and I was slightly dismayed by seeing it moved as well, however I understand why it was done. At first I too was interested in getting into WAMAS, till I inadvertantly was practically given an outstanding tank by another meber, who talked about WAMAS, after poking around the general discussion area, it was an obvious choice to join.

Guest fishwish

Oh my goodness!! JOIN THIS CLUB!!! For $20 bucks it is the best bargain you'll ever find! And I've only met 2 of the members yet (have unfortunately been out of town for the tank tours, etc). If you want to know what you'll get for your $20 just check out my thread entitled "I am defeated." The support, encouragement and advice of the members is worth more than any bargains you'll find (though those are great too!).

Where else will you find people willing to share all of their knowlege and mistakes, even embarassing ones, just to save you some awful result? (check my thread). Where else will you find people willing to drive over hour to rush over to see your tank when there's a crisis? (dhoch did this for me -- twice!). Where else will you find a person willing to lend you a $90 blub? And drive over and install it and check and clean everything? (NeOen did this for me).

Really restores your faith in humanity/community. I've told all my friends and family because I've been so impressed with everyone's generosity. My brother in San Fran said, "You had better stick with that club -- they sound like good people." He's right.

JOIN!!!

Man,

I feel like this is an AA Meeting! :wink:

Doesn't sound to me like the problem has anything at all to do with $20!

Simple problems should just be handled simply. It sounds to me like the question should simply have been put to the organization, "what happened?", not a scathing reaction. There is probably a simple, reasonable and inoffensive explanation.

Many of us, also, do a lot of personal research and experimentation on our own watches and on our own nickels. We have individually discovered a lot of useful things about the hobby. We have also learned a lot jointly and from each other. I haven't encountered anyone who isn't willing to share out knowlege, nor have I found anyone who is too smug to accept information, even if it may be redundant with what is already known by the recipient. I've not seen a single untoward remark made by anyone about anyone on this board by members or by non-members. In fact, I've seen nothing but kindness and supportive behavior. Fine bunch, all.

If you want to participate then do so. You will be welcomed. If you don't want to then don't. That's OK too. It is that simple. Even if you don't join you will be still be granted permissions as a guest. Nice bunch here.

fab