Reseal 120 - help.

achansek

I bought a used 120g tank (reef ready) that needs to be resealed. I will do a leak test this week to make sure that the tank holds water.

I would like to just remove the silicone flaps (currently, my finger nail could get under it easily) and replace them with new dab of silicone.

I am located in College Park. I have never done a resealing job and would appreciate if someone could spare a few hours on a weekend to assist me as I do it.

Please let me know if you are up for it. Would be ready to compensate for meal and conveyance. 

79103675_2180378215395590_4490344937388244992_n.jpg

79341570_568325860409282_6152702584671961088_n.jpg

Edited by achansek

Honestly, I'd just test it first with tap water and let it sit for a week in a spot where you can see all four glass corners.  That kind of damage to the silicone inside the tank is not a dealbreaker for me on a used tank.  The interior silicone bead is really just to protect the bead that does the work of sealing the tank together, which is sandwiched between the panes.  

Resealing a tank for that inner bead is no joke and you have to get it more clean than is simple to do in order to get it to stick well.  Plus by scraping off the old stuff you're now exposing the actual sealing bead.  

Thank you. I agree with your premise. I will keep you posted on my leak test results. 

I agree that it's no easy under taking. As it's a 120g tank, I would like to admit avoid flooding at all costs. Hence thought I'd reseal it (not rebuild it). 

Sorry, I posted about it on the other thread. Re-sealing is a big job. You could just trim flaps. 

Meaning Trim flaps and forget about it? Or trim flaps and reapply silicone?
Personally, I would trim and reapply (a new fillet) . While the fillet adds no structural strength, it does provide some protection to the silicone that is bonding the panels together.

If you do put in new silicone, use something made for aquariums. The silicone I have been using is made by Aquarium Sealants, Inc. The tube says it has been "tested to withstand constant stress on aquariums up to 750 gallons". I bought it off of eBay,  in both clear and black. 

I’d personally also remove and reseal the interior.  Better to do it now before water and other inhabitants enter the tank than possibly after it is filled.

I’ve used the silicone sold by BRS (both the clear and black) with zero issues.  You will be fine using your finger to smooth it evenly into the corners after application or you can use a “caulk finishing tool” for a more uniform finish.  When undertaking this task, try to do it in a well ventilated area because there will be a strong vinegar-like aroma.