Lynn's Fish Room

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We definitely have some great local people here. Last minute, they came to help move a new-to-me tank from it's original home in Severn to Pasadena. It took 7  people to get this big boy to it's new home.

Awesome! Of course it’s a good idea, you just might need a bigger shed to go with the tank .

Is the glass tempered? Wondering about drilling for overflows, returns, etc. seems you’ll be tight on space. Crazy idea - if the glass on the bottom isn’t tempered (I know not likely on something that size), put in a central overflow/return to minimize how much stuff sticks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, cpeguero said:

Awesome! Of course it’s a good idea, you just might need a bigger shed to go with the tank emoji6.png.

Is the glass tempered? Wondering about drilling for overflows, returns, etc. seems you’ll be tight on space. Crazy idea - if the glass on the bottom isn’t tempered (I know not likely on something that size), put in a central overflow/return to minimize how much stuff sticks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rollface: my husband would be so mad if we have to move again for a bigger fish room. 

I'm not sure if it is tempered but it has drain in the back. It's designed to be peninsula. 

No description available.

Return would prob be to the top with pvc. 

Wow! How big is it (gallons?) 

The cleaning begins .... dry vac died on us so we are doing it the hard way 

Filling the tank with water + citric acid for a day or two before we start scraping.

image.thumb.jpeg.2d699283d02e9c9fa70ef9eaba38cf25.jpeg

image.gif

I can't even imagine. If I brought that home, I'd have to sleep in it! 

27 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

I can't even imagine. If I brought that home, I'd have to sleep in it! 

LOL my husband has his motives for letting me get it. For a while now, I was considering moving back to Oregon to be closer to my parents. They are getting old and I wanted to have more time with them. With this tank, we are probably staying for a bit :lol2:

On 6/11/2022 at 5:22 PM, lynn.reef.nerd said:

As a lesson learned, I was determined to start a QT system for all things coming into the tank (corals, inverts, fish).

A buddy dropped off two stands with 10 gal tanks for me to use as a fish QT. I am thinking of using the top two for tank transfer and possibly the third as a copper alternative. I haven't thought it out too much though but it will still be a while until I get more fish in.

At the moment, I am still trying figure out all the equipment and logistics of the whole process but I have been watching all the videos from Humble.Fish channel.

285858020_466695835218515_1931154275495940083_n.thumb.png.b39e6466ed75a9b40b8678b03c5c79f0.png

I also picked up a small tank from another local hobbyist who had no need for it. It was perfect for what I needed. It's a small (30 gal???) AIO.
- Skimmer
- Finnex 100W
- Hydra 26
- Jebao SL5
- Old MP10
- Hydros controller + ATO
- Dosing All-For-Reef with Kamoer X1
- Will be adding an old KHG

286379042_526536365837824_1459896494570414289_n.thumb.png.cad6976ddbd66e241848609747e41939.png

I did pick up some frags that were left with a buddy while I moved homes. Unfortunately he was hit with AEFW, so I dipped and re-plugged all the frags. Just hoping they will be ok for the next few months. The plan is to dip everything (KCl) weekly for the next 8 weeks. I am also dosing the tank with wormwood as an extra measure.

I made another order of hermits and threw them in there also ... because why not since I'm already QTing the corals.

Crossing my fingers they will be ok and not get too stressed.

Lynn could you explain the woodworm alittle more. What woodworm powder are you using? How did it work for you? Also what dosage did you use it at?

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Keith said:

Lynn could you explain the woodworm alittle more. What woodworm powder are you using? How did it work for you? Also what dosage did you use it at?

Thank you 

I stop dosing it a while back.

But this was what I was following: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wormwood-treatment-for-aefw.429422/

10 hours ago, Keith said:

Much appericated!! Did you find that it work for you, and did you have any negative reactions from other corals or fish

None of the corals had any negative reaction. I dosed it initially as a precaution so I can't really say if it works or not. 

• 2 weeks later...

Made an order for clams a few months back. Threw them in the QT tank after inspection and scrubbing. Still had something left on them because the cleanup crew were all over them. Wonder what they sense that I can't see.

Currently, I go through about 20-25 gal of ATO water every 2-3 days. With the addition of the 330gal, this will increase drastically. I am not sure if the ATO pump would be able to handle such a large amount daily. 

I decided to swap it to a gravity fed ATO. The largest drum that I am able to fit in the area is 55 gal. I'm hoping this will be enough to cover all the tanks for at least 1 week (I doubt it but it's  better than refilling the ATO daily). 

image.thumb.jpeg.60bb269662d3ad0ba2b0f918ad38d854.jpeg\

Water is pump from the RODI holding container across the room and into the ATO container.  We'll see how it works out! 

image.thumb.jpeg.35ed63ecce793cfa3241efb8f2345442.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4c568ece4f3a440ed70838896d454e1d.jpeg

Nice. How are you controlling the gravity fed ATO output? Are you using a mechanical float valve? If so, have you considered adding any safety checks for this? For example, adding high/low sensors or float switches that are monitored by your controller. These would help notify you if there is a failure on your mechanical switch. You could also incorporate a solenoid valve on the ATO line that would be closed by the controller (and notify you) if the level got too high.

5 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Nice. How are you controlling the gravity fed ATO output? Are you using a mechanical float valve? If so, have you considered adding any safety checks for this? For example, adding high/low sensors or float switches that are monitored by your controller. These would help notify you if there is a failure on your mechanical switch. You could also incorporate a solenoid valve on the ATO line that would be closed by the controller (and notify you) if the level got too high.

I am currently using a mechanical float valve. I do have a sensor (used by the original ATO) on the hydros that is used to send a message and also audible alarm when the level goes above. 

That is one thing that does worry me when setting this up. Since it's just a float valve, I don't really have a way to auto stop it besides just a warning. 

Wow, didn't even think of this. Thanks. 

I was hoping to make things simpler with the flaat valve by eliminating the ATO pump. Guess I'm adding another item to it :facepalm1:

3 hours ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Wow, didn't even think of this. Thanks. 

I was hoping to make things simpler with the flaat valve by eliminating the ATO pump. Guess I'm adding another item to it :facepalm1:

My life story, try to uncomplicate, but then go deeper down the rabbit hole!