New To WAMAS and Saltwater

Welcome Lynn.

You're in the right place. There are a ton of us on here, and it's a very active community! Do you have a tank or anything setup yet? 

Hello YHSublime!

My LFS got me started on my 65 Gal. It is going very well and I am trying to learn as much as I can. I really love Tangs and look forward to getting a larger tank in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to WAMAS, Lynn! How long have you had the 65 set up?

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk

Hello, Lynn.  Welcome.

If you hang around here long enough I predict you'll start fantasizing about going bigger than the 65.  Deals come up all the time in the WTS forum that will make you eye the extra floorspace in your house. 8)

AlanM,

I started fantasizing of the 120gal 1 month after i set up mine. Right now, I'm eyeing the Red Sea 650. Just need to finish the basement. Not structurally stable elsewhere.

If you can be close to the steel beam or the sill plate upstairs you might be ok.  We've had some imaginative solutions to bracing it from below mid-span too.  Basement is safer, though, for sure.

The Red Sea 650 is a very nice tank.

Hello Origami!

I started about 5-6 months ago.

Call me Tom. Origami sounds so formal.  :laugh:

So, in that time, you're set up, cycled and have started introducing stuff to the tank, I'm guessing. How are things progressing? 

It is going decently well. I had some "oops" moments, but no major issues.  Youtube has been a lifesaver and I try to read up as much as possible every chance I get. At times it feels like I am getting a Marine Biology Degree.  At my current level, I don't think I will try to put together another system one piece at a time again.  All the Red Sea AIO sounds very attractive. I think by the end of the 6 months I started, I spent about the same pricing with way more headaches.

It is going decently well. I had some "oops" moments, but no major issues.  Youtube has been a lifesaver and I try to read up as much as possible every chance I get. At times it feels like I am getting a Marine Biology Degree.  At my current level, I don't think I will try to put together another system one piece at a time again.  All the Red Sea AIO sounds very attractive. I think by the end of the 6 months I started, I spent about the same pricing with way more headaches.

Spend more time with it. I've had a variety of systems over the years. No sump; with sump; AIO; Reef-ready; drilled; etc. The flexibility (especially with equipment) of one built up from scratch is a great benefit to me and might, with more experience, be for you as well. 

Welcome to the group. We are here to help. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There is a wealth of knowledge in this group. Reef keeping will/may seem overwhelming in the begining. You will be learning about tank cycling, equipment, chemistry, and so much more. We are here to assist.

Spend more time with it. I've had a variety of systems over the years. No sump; with sump; AIO; Reef-ready; drilled; etc. The flexibility (especially with equipment) of one built up from scratch is a great benefit to me and might, with more experience, be for you as well. 

I am definitely not handy by any mean. I just love the saltwater system (fish, corals, etc.).

Welcome to the group. We are here to help. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. There is a wealth of knowledge in this group. Reef keeping will/may seem overwhelming in the begining. You will be learning about tank cycling, equipment, chemistry, and so much more. We are here to assist.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...